Introduce Yourself  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Sokrates_Iscariot on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:04 am
([msg=68701]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hey all. 22/m, currently working on a BA in Computer Science. I'm not sure what I'm doing with my life, so I'm trying to try as many things in this field as possible. I was a philosophy major for a long time and only last year switched to CS (I haven't even known Python, my first langauge, for a whole year yet). I'm glad to find that a lot of people on here are into the MMA/BJJ scene - I'm a blue belt as well. I came to HTS, like someone else said, to lern 2 hax lololol but also because I am interested in professionally pursuing computer security. I'm currently working for a startup doing QA testing, and I'm interested in doing rigorous pen testing soon.
Sokrates_Iscariot
New User
New User
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by greyrook on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:09 pm
([msg=68723]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hello, people who will probably not read this! I guess as others would introduce themselves I am "greyrook" (not my real name) and 17/f. But honestly, do the servers care? :roll: (I'm not that good with humor, see?) I'm going to start undergrad next year, major in CSE and minor in math. Though my high school barely offered any CS classes, the most "advanced" being "Success with the Internet"... I did a lot of programming outside of school, even got a job this summer doing iOS development, ha. My coworkers kind of suggested that I learn to hack and join them instead of going to school, and I've always pretty much been interested in doing so (except for the not going to school part) but didn't know how to go about learning; then I found HTS and woo! Seems fun so far.

Oh, and my favorite number is 72 and if you like the number 72, let's be friends except not really because I don't pick who my friends are based on what their favorite numbers are.
greyrook
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by limdis on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 pm
([msg=68725]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

greyrook wrote:Hello, people who will probably not read this! I guess as others would introduce themselves I am "greyrook" (not my real name) and 17/f. But honestly, do the servers care? :roll: (I'm not that good with humor, see?) I'm going to start undergrad next year, major in CSE and minor in math. Though my high school barely offered any CS classes, the most "advanced" being "Success with the Internet"... I did a lot of programming outside of school, even got a job this summer doing iOS development, ha. My coworkers kind of suggested that I learn to hack and join them instead of going to school, and I've always pretty much been interested in doing so (except for the not going to school part) but didn't know how to go about learning; then I found HTS and woo! Seems fun so far.

Oh, and my favorite number is 72 and if you like the number 72, let's be friends except not really because I don't pick who my friends are based on what their favorite numbers are.

+1
Also welcome 8-)
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
User avatar
limdis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by GuyFawkesMask on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:47 pm
([msg=68726]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hi,
I'm 20 and going to school in september to get my diploma in agriculture.
I'm a amateur magician.
I just found out i can't pass a "idiot test" :roll: so my self-esteem just dropped a peg.
I think my first hack was opening a lock with 2 paper clips.
Looking to learn a few programing languages and make some friends along the way :D
remember remember the 5th of november?
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof." - V for Vendetta - ...ya..ya i just watched the movie before i made this account..
GuyFawkesMask
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Canada
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by greyrook on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:08 pm
([msg=68728]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Thank you, @limdis! Somebody read what I wrote. /cheer

GuyFawkesMask wrote:remember remember the 5th of november?

Yes (I hope I'm talking to the actual physical mask.)
greyrook
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by oldnewb on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 pm
([msg=68732]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Greetings.

I'm old - sadly, but we all age so... it is what it is I guess. When some of the devs/authors of 2600 were phone phreaking in 1984, I was 13 sitting in a park wishing I could afford D&D books; eventually, I saved up allowance and bought a few. Yay.

Anyway, before I knew it there was a '4' in front of my age and I was like 'WTF'? I got my first computer in 1996 and it was a screaming Micron, 75(?)MHz with 16megs RAM, and an external 14.4 modem - I thought I was the bomb. In 2000 I started with the MMORPGs and lost a good 10 years of my life (I currently play SWTOR, and TSW).

I didn't go to college full time until I was 32 and got a BA degree in Chinese (Mandarin, and 'no' I can't read, or write it anymore and have a vocab of a 3 year old - but I know how to use tools to translate and if I ever move there I'll be fluent in no time). I'm about to finish my BS in IT - 2 classes left /cheer! I've recently transitioned my career into the IT field. You'd think I would have figured out by the year 2000 that computers should have been my career, but... I'm slow - what can I say. After reading some of these forums, I would guess Monica would say I have no common sense and - sadly - I would agree. The best place to hide something from me is right in front of my face. :(

I met a guy at work, he turned me on to this site. I don't think he frequents here anymore, but he did all the missions and told me they were good learning tools and the community was helpful. Thus far, I've learned both are true. Interestingly, I have pretty much zero HTML experience, and little php experience outside of posting on phpBB and making my text bold, large, underlined, colors, etc. Just by reading the forums, I was able to breeze through the first 3 basic missions without asking for help. I've stopped at mission 4 only because of time; I will research and get back to it as soon as time allows. I may have no common sense, but I'm pretty good at reading between the lines and connecting dots - yay for childhood connect-the-dot books. I love to learn.

Hacking was always some magical, voodoo practice for those born only in a womb of wires and soothed by crib songs ping'd in binary. Now, well... it's still pretty magical, and those that wield the power are wizards of an unseen world, but I am a good apprentice and am quickly learning. The first two lessons I've learned could possibly be the most important: patience, and persistence.

I look forward to corresponding and sharing with many of you.

Sorry for the novel. :?
I stole this from sanddbox... but I couldn't help it; it's funny!

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
oldnewb
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by GuyFawkesMask on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:18 pm
([msg=68761]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

GuyFawkesMask wrote:Yes (I hope I'm talking to the actual physical mask.)


Nope...just me :D
btw
does any1 know how to communicate on this it seems like i can't private message anyone :?:

Sokrates_Iscariot wrote:Hey all. 22/m, currently working on a BA in Computer Science. I'm not sure what I'm doing with my life, so I'm trying to try as many things in this field as possible. I was a philosophy major for a long time and only last year switched to CS (I haven't even known Python, my first langauge, for a whole year yet). I'm glad to find that a lot of people on here are into the MMA/BJJ scene - I'm a blue belt as well. I came to HTS, like someone else said, to lern 2 hax lololol but also because I am interested in professionally pursuing computer security. I'm currently working for a startup doing QA testing, and I'm interested in doing rigorous pen testing soon.


Welcome to the site :D
GSP all the way :p
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof." - V for Vendetta - ...ya..ya i just watched the movie before i made this account..
GuyFawkesMask
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Canada
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by WallShadow on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 pm
([msg=68762]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

GuyFawkesMask wrote:does any1 know how to communicate on this it seems like i can't private message anyone


you require 2 posts on the forums to pm on the forums so you should be good by now
User avatar
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Newbie

Post by kenizl_86 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:25 pm
([msg=68959]see Newbie[/msg])

I'm new to HTS, and I was wondering... As a complete and utter Newbie (to hacking and whatnot), can I still use HTS? I understand this may be broad, but I was just wondering.
User avatar
kenizl_86
New User
New User
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Newbie

Post by WallShadow on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:33 pm
([msg=68960]see Re: Newbie[/msg])

Welcome to HTS kenizl!

First of, the answer is YES, you can start of here without knowing anything about it, you just need to gain a hacker's mentality, and you'll fit right in. If you are here to learn about hacking and defending against it, this is the place to be. But if you are here to learn to hack facebook with a one click tool, go look up skiddy tools on google, we are not here to give out tools to script kiddies.

You may want to try the first 3 missions here (basic 1, basic 2, and basic 3) to gain a sense of how the missions work. If you get stuck, don't worry, EVERYONE got stuck at one point or another (well, everyone human that is...). If you get stuck, 3 things you can do;

1. look at the forums under the basic 1-3 topics and read what people have to say there.
2. get off the computer, go outside and take a long break or just take a nap. works like a charm.
3. google the shit out of everything.

In fact, these three steps are the key to programming or hacking anything in the world. Try it out and see what comes out of the first three missions.

Lastly, remember that the forums always welcome anyone with decent grammar and a thoughtful question.

-WallShadow <3
User avatar
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to NZone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests