Asian Characters  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Asian Characters

Post by anarchy420x on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:09 am
([msg=67164]see Asian Characters[/msg])

So, my roommate like to accidentally make his computer type in asian characters, lol. Anyone know how he's doing this so I can tell him how to turn it off? It's normally when he is typing in google.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Asian Characters

Post by acevic on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 am
([msg=67166]see Re: Asian Characters[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:So, my roommate like to accidentally make his computer type in asian characters, lol. Anyone know how he's doing this so I can tell him how to turn it off? It's normally when he is typing in google.

I'm not sure I quite understand the question but I'll give it a try. Your roommate accidentally did something that caused whatever he typed to turn into Asian characters and you want to fix it?

If he's using Win7, he could go to Start-->Control Panel-->Region and Language and click on the Keyboards and Languages tab and then change the language back to the preferred one. I highly doubt that the original owner of that username is posting this though.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by anarchy420x on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm
([msg=67179]see Re: Asian Characters[/msg])

I was quite tired when I posted that. Ill reword it when I get off work; it's kind of odd what it does. I should have print screened it, that would help.

-- Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 pm --

Pictures speak a thousand words.

A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:14 am
([msg=67202]see Re: Asian Characters[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:I was quite tired when I posted that. Ill reword it when I get off work; it's kind of odd what it does. I should have print screened it, that would help.

-- Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 pm --

Pictures speak a thousand words.

Ah I see. I'd suggest you first check out the options on control panel first. Also check for the installation of any recent software that may have caused this.

For Firefox you could go into options-->content-->languages and check the language and disable all addons to see if it helps.

For Chrome you could try disabling Chrome addons and also check your language from Chrome advanced settings. Type chrome://chrome/settings into your chrome URL bar and click on advanced settings and check your language. I'm not still specifically sure about what issue you are facing. Try the above and if none work, post more details so that I can make a proper assessment.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by anarchy420x on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:38 am
([msg=67203]see Re: Asian Characters[/msg])

We checked the settings; he is using firefox instead of chrome. His language is set to English. It seems like he toggled it some how on his keyboard. I have tried googling it, but I can't seem to phrase the problem quite right. I think it has something to do with the browser. No new software that I am aware of, I could probably fix it with either an update or a reinstall. To be honest though, I am very curious as to what exactly is causing this.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 am
([msg=67208]see Re: Asian Characters[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:We checked the settings; he is using firefox instead of chrome. His language is set to English. It seems like he toggled it some how on his keyboard. I have tried googling it, but I can't seem to phrase the problem quite right. I think it has something to do with the browser. No new software that I am aware of, I could probably fix it with either an update or a reinstall. To be honest though, I am very curious as to what exactly is causing this.

Have you tried rolling back to a time before this happened via system restore? This way you wouldn't have to re-install everything.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by anarchy420x on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:50 pm
([msg=67226]see Re: Asian Characters[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
anarchy420x wrote:We checked the settings; he is using firefox instead of chrome. His language is set to English. It seems like he toggled it some how on his keyboard. I have tried googling it, but I can't seem to phrase the problem quite right. I think it has something to do with the browser. No new software that I am aware of, I could probably fix it with either an update or a reinstall. To be honest though, I am very curious as to what exactly is causing this.

Have you tried rolling back to a time before this happened via system restore? This way you wouldn't have to re-install everything.

Well, he doesn't use any add on's for Firefox, and I'm fairly certain it's a browser thing. I should check to see if it is still doing it, because It might stop when he resets the computer. This has happened to him like 3 times, and I don't quite remember how I stopped it before. I might have just ended the firefox processes. It has happened to me once, but it magically went away and never came back.

So, I don't think he needs a rollback, but I'll keep that in mind.

I think I am going to have to do a more extensive google search on the matter, because I am very curious as to what he is doing to cause this. He's fairly computer illiterate; he managed to disable his wireless driver without knowing it. It was a good lulz.

I'll update you on what I come across.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:23 pm
([msg=67228]see Re: Asian Characters[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:
LoGiCaL__ wrote:

Well, he doesn't use any add on's for Firefox, and I'm fairly certain it's a browser thing. I should check to see if it is still doing it, because It might stop when he resets the computer. This has happened to him like 3 times, and I don't quite remember how I stopped it before. I might have just ended the firefox processes. It has happened to me once, but it magically went away and never came back.

So, I don't think he needs a rollback, but I'll keep that in mind.

I think I am going to have to do a more extensive google search on the matter, because I am very curious as to what he is doing to cause this. He's fairly computer illiterate; he managed to disable his wireless driver without knowing it. It was a good lulz.

I'll update you on what I come across.

I've actually looked into it a little last night, not much though. Googling things along the lines of "google autocomplete appears in chinese/asain characters". Best thing I found was the language setting in google itself. This just makes all the menus another language. Quick question, is your friend logged into google when this is happening? If I'm not to busy later I will also try to see if I can find anything more on this.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Re: Asian Characters  Topic is solved

Post by anarchy420x on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm
([msg=67233]see Re: Asian Characters  Topic is solved[/msg])

Yes, but when it happens it affects all websites, not just google. I've seen him switch between websites, and it still does it. The websites I've seen it happen on are google, facebook, and project free tv.

-- Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 pm --

I figured it out! He was changing the installed keyboard language by pressing the left ALT + the left Shift key. Depending on the version of widows it could be left CTRL + left Shift. I came across this answer in an old xp question. Here is the link if you are curious http://ask.metafilter.com/30101/Why-does-MS-Word-randomly-convert-English-to-Asian-characters. Also, while searching for an answer I came across this article that you guys might find interesting.

http://shiflett.org/blog/2005/dec/googles-xss-vulnerability
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone