I'm Looking for a Mentor

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

I'm Looking for a Mentor

Post by aClockworkScrivener on Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm
([msg=66589]see I'm Looking for a Mentor[/msg])

Hello Community. I'm learning to hack for a variety of reasons, unfortunately I'm learning to hack on top of school work, and other activities. I consider myself a renaissance man. I partake in a wide variety of activities, so my schedule is tight.

In short, I would like a mentor to guide me through hacking. I've checked out a few books on SQL from the public library, I understand a little javascript and Objective-C. I'm looking for someone I can ask a few questions. Someone who can answer them intelligently, and patiently. I use proper grammar, always, as well as punctuation, and vocabulary. I have a reasonably high IQ, and suffer from chronic arrogance. I'm ok with you to editorializing on this post, but please respond kindly. So if your interested in helping train a young hacker, let me know on here or via PM.

P.S. I understand that the nature of this request is a little unorthodox. Any help is appreciated.
aClockworkScrivener
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I'm Looking for a Mentor

Post by limdis on Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 pm
([msg=66590]see Re: I'm Looking for a Mentor[/msg])

Welcome to HTS. Something you should know right away is that you are never going to find a mentor, unless you know someone personally willing to put in the time for it. Hacking is a mindset more than technical knowledge. Depending on your interests and goals you will have to branch out in many different directions. Consider the forums your mentor. You will find more information, and links to information on this site alone than most people do through their own google searching in their entire 'hacker lifetime'. On the plus side we like helping people and wont bash you for questions, unless they express illegal intent or you put in zero effort on your part to find an answer.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by tgoe on Thu May 24, 2012 10:19 pm
([msg=66591]see Re: I'm Looking for a Mentor[/msg])

Your* welcome here. Ask questions.

*You're

:)
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

Post by aClockworkScrivener on Thu May 24, 2012 11:55 pm
([msg=66595]see Thanks[/msg])

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I am currently wondering what kind of approaches I can take. Is it better for me to learn as many types of code as possible before I try and apply them, or should i learn as I go?

-B
aClockworkScrivener
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Fri May 25, 2012 11:52 am
([msg=66604]see Re: I'm Looking for a Mentor[/msg])

aClockworkScrivener wrote:Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I am currently wondering what kind of approaches I can take. Is it better for me to learn as many types of code as possible before I try and apply them, or should i learn as I go?

Well not exactly. Have you tried looking at the missions yet? Or do you have a specific area of interest you want to learn about?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Re: Thanks

Post by centip3de on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 pm
([msg=66903]see Re: Thanks[/msg])

aClockworkScrivener wrote:Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I am currently wondering what kind of approaches I can take. Is it better for me to learn as many types of code as possible before I try and apply them, or should i learn as I go?

-B

You should learn a programming language until you know it backwards and forwards. Then, see how you can use it for the dark arts.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to NZone