How much do i have to learn?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

How much do i have to learn?

Post by xTractatorix on Fri May 18, 2012 5:39 pm
([msg=66423]see How much do i have to learn?[/msg])

Okay so i'm fairly new to hacking and i'm trying to set up goals for what i should learn, and i have come across a dilemma.
Now don't get me wrong i not lazy but i don't want to learn something i wont really need, so down to business. Should i learn Java or Javascript?One more thing, as far as html and php are concerned, should i just need to be able to read it and understand it or should i learn how to write it in order to be a competent hacker?
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How much do i have to learn?

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 pm
([msg=66424]see Re: How much do i have to learn?[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:Okay so i'm fairly new to hacking and i'm trying to set up goals for what i should learn, and i have come across a dilemma.
Now don't get me wrong i not lazy but i don't want to learn something i wont really need, so down to business. Should i learn Java or Javascript?One more thing, as far as html and php are concerned, should i just need to be able to read it and understand it or should i learn how to write it in order to be a competent hacker?

Hey xTractatorix, welcome to HTS. The thing is learning will be continuous there is no limit to what you need to know but there is a limit to what you want to learn. Start off by googling and wikipedia'n what you asked to learn. Then based off of what you find, do what interests you.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by pretentious on Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 pm
([msg=66428]see Re: How much do i have to learn?[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:don't want to learn something i wont really need

I totally understand. Though once you learn the stuff you really need, the rest will likely follow i recon
xTractatorix wrote:Should i learn Java or Javascript?

they are two very different things.
xTractatorix wrote:should i just need to be able to read it and understand it or should i learn how to write it in order to be a competent hacker?

the best way to learn is by doing. Being able to write implies being able to read and understand
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Sun May 20, 2012 3:59 pm
([msg=66456]see Re: How much do i have to learn?[/msg])

It depends on what you want to do. Like LoGiCaL__ said, start by researching everything. Get a feel for how the whole thing works, and by then it should be clear what you need to learn. There are a lot of different fields in hacking, some may peek your interest while others may not.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to NZone