Where to start?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Where to start?

Post by sparks4fly on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 pm
([msg=65959]see Where to start?[/msg])

Hi, I'm completely new to hacking, computer programming, writing codes ... the whole shabang. And so I was hoping for some tips on where to start. I've tried a couple of the basic missions here but I still think I should get a more solid 'foundation'. Should I learn some programming language first or HTML? I've heard some good things about having python as a first language ... I really hope to become adept enough at programming and cyber-security to find a job in this field.
ALL suggestions welcome and thanks ! :]
sparks4fly
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where to start?

Post by pretentious on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 am
([msg=65961]see Re: Where to start?[/msg])

sparks4fly wrote:I've tried a couple of the basic missions here but I still think I should get a more solid 'foundation'.

The way you can approach the missions is to develope a foundation by learning about the exploits that you're using
sparks4fly wrote:Should I learn some programming language first or HTML?

HTML is pretty easy to pick up so i don't see why you can't learn them concurrently,
sparks4fly wrote: I've heard some good things about having python as a first language ...I really hope to become adept enough at programming and cyber-security to find a job in this field.
on a personal and probably unhelpful note, i'd reccoment you look into C++. Not necessarily dive in without a life jacket but be aware of its existence while you're playing with python. I think once you understand C++ the whole world of programming will basically open up to you
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Where to start?

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:26 am
([msg=65965]see Re: Where to start?[/msg])

Also check out these forums as this question is asked at least a couple times a week. You should be able to get a gist of what you like and then decide on where to go from there. You may also find the following article written by limdis useful: https://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1099
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to NZone