IP Address Help

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

IP Address Help

Post by Veos on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:54 am
([msg=65811]see IP Address Help[/msg])

Hey there, I need some assistance from anyone who can shed some light onto this. Generaly just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

So I did a 'whats my IP' google search on my home computer and got my IP address, its not a dedicated IP address its residential broadband..

Went out of my house sat in a coffe shop, and decided to do a nmap scan on that IP. Now I thought that home IPs are on a temp lease bassis. But the results I got where from a server from my ISP (whoops)

Does anyone know the way to go to scan my own router?

Many thanks in advance.
Veos
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: IP Address Help

Post by limdis on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:12 pm
([msg=65830]see Re: IP Address Help[/msg])

In short, when you go to those websites they tell you what your Wide Area Network (WAN) IP address is. This is given to you by your ISP, in most cases. Other examples would be a school/work network, coffee houses etc. Internet service providers 'own' a long list of a specific IP ranges that they are allowed to assign to their customers. But since they are registered to that company and not to you, searching for that IP will result with their city location, and sometimes physical address if they allow it.

Your personal router turns your house into a Local Area Network (LAN). All computers connecting to it are assigned an IP address based off your routers preset default IP range. In most cases this is 192.168.1.1 and when you run ipconfig your IP address will say something similar to that. However, all traffic that goes to the internet still has to go through your ISP where you are being branded by your ISP's IP range. In order to scan your home network you will have to do it from home, or within your wireless network's range.

I'm working on another article btw that is going to explain IP addresses in depth and how tracing works.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to NZone