How do you learn how to hack?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

How do you learn how to hack?

Post by vthatten02 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm
([msg=65105]see How do you learn how to hack?[/msg])

I have never done anything like hacking before, in my entire life. I guess you could say I'm a newbie, then. Anyways. I was wondering, how do you get started with hacking? My question, is then, how do you get started with all this? Learning the basics, you know.

Anyone whose helpfull and could explain this to me? Any websites to get basic information, such as html and other... things?
Thanks for reading.
vthatten02
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How do you learn how to hack?

Post by ThE_AnDr01D on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:21 pm
([msg=65106]see Re: How do you learn how to hack?[/msg])

I suggest you start out by completing all the basic missions on this site.
They'll make you able to read and understand HTML and some other basic things which you will need. (if you are stuck at one of those you can also go and have a look at the forums on this site about that specific mission)
After completing those you can start doing the first few realistic missions and the javascript missions and after those you can do the rest.
Basically, just by doing the missions you will learn to think the way you are supposed to think.
Often you will encounter new things, which you will have to learn through self-study (Google is your friend, and the forums on this site are a big help as well).

There is no way to answer the question "how do you learn how to hack?" since hacking is a very broad term (as will hopefully soon realize), but by using this site and by having a lot of patience you will eventually learn how to hack a couple of different things.
"My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for." - The Mentor
ThE_AnDr01D
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:55 am
([msg=65116]see Re: How do you learn how to hack?[/msg])

vthatten02 wrote:I have never done anything like hacking before, in my entire life. I guess you could say I'm a newbie, then. Anyways. I was wondering, how do you get started with hacking? My question, is then, how do you get started with all this? Learning the basics, you know.

Anyone whose helpfull and could explain this to me? Any websites to get basic information, such as html and other... things?
Thanks for reading.

When I see posts like these it makes me scratch my head. You don't learn how to hack by asking how to hack and where to get more info. Real hacking comes from a sheer drive of curiousity where you just want, in fact need, to understand how things 'work'. It's what makes people tear apart PC towers down to the every small piece and then put them back together... I kinda hate how the HTS missions and stuff work and the articles and how we point people to lrn2hack - when I think a lot of people are skipping over that core fundamental of 'how it works' just to get their hands on some cool skiddie knowledge.

Nothing against the OP.. just found this was a good place to thoughts of the day.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anarchy420x on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:40 pm
([msg=65118]see Re: How do you learn how to hack?[/msg])

I agree. However, the drive for curiosity can and usually is multi-directional. Sometimes you need to ask what your possible paths are. I think that questions like this should be referred to first what this site is about, second what hacking is about, then finally some resources.

On topic, find out what hacking is. There are plenty of form posts on the topic; you can ask that same question in the nzone and see what others think of it. (If there isn't already a thread on the topic) You are also more than welcome to google it. When you have figured out what hacking is, I suggest you will find your answer if you dig deep enough.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by A_new_dave on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:56 am
([msg=65268]see Re: How do you learn how to hack?[/msg])

Read little brother, and Underground.. Then switch to Linux and open up the source code for Nano, and change it.

I'm new to this, but I think to get there, we have to want to make things work the way we want them to.

Oh.. a good quick read.. http://norvig.com/21-days.html
A_new_dave
New User
New User

Return to NZone