Writing an article...

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Writing an article...

Post by WritersBlock on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 pm
([msg=64786]see Writing an article...[/msg])

Hi, this is my first post, and I apologise if I have started this thread in the wrong sub-forum, but I have a somewhat unusual request.

Whilst I am fascinated by computer programming/hacking and endeavour to keep up with it as much as I can, I have no skill whatsoever in the actual discipline, and possess neither the patience or ingenuity necessary for it. However, I am a freelance Journalist, writing an article on the misappropriation of the term 'hacker' and the negative connotations it holds in the wider public perception. I will also attempt to highlight the distinction between 'hackers' and 'crackers'. To this end, I am trying to find a few people who are willing to share either their experiences or opinions on this issue. Any and all contributions will be appreciated.

Thank you,
WritersBlock.
WritersBlock
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Writing an article...

Post by centip3de on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm
([msg=64794]see Re: Writing an article...[/msg])

WritersBlock wrote:Hi, this is my first post, and I apologise if I have started this thread in the wrong sub-forum, but I have a somewhat unusual request.

Whilst I am fascinated by computer programming/hacking and endeavour to keep up with it as much as I can, I have no skill whatsoever in the actual discipline, and possess neither the patience or ingenuity necessary for it. However, I am a freelance Journalist, writing an article on the misappropriation of the term 'hacker' and the negative connotations it holds in the wider public perception. I will also attempt to highlight the distinction between 'hackers' and 'crackers'. To this end, I am trying to find a few people who are willing to share either their experiences or opinions on this issue. Any and all contributions will be appreciated.

Thank you,
WritersBlock.

I feel that this has already been done... But I'm much too lazy to find it. Anyways, I'm game.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by tremor77 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:58 am
([msg=64827]see Re: Writing an article...[/msg])

There are too many terms for hacker and various interpretations for each. Many people have approached it in articles and blogs and discussion... and it evolves and changes over time. Here are some 'labels' you might want to consider... you have a few misconceptions already coming into this from your OP. Like 'hacker' vs. 'cracker'.. that's like comparing Apples to orange play-doh.

Hacker: Loosely and briefly interpreted - An individual who is driven by curiosity to explore how 'things' work, often in relation to technology. I'd make hacker a term that broadly encapsulates a subset of terms.

- phreaker

- hacktivist

- white hat or ethical hacker

- black hat or criminal hacker

- skiddie or script kiddie (likely makes up for 90%+ of those who call themselves hackers)

- cracker - several ways to interpret this but i'd go ahead and say this is someone who dedicates their time to breaking serials for consumer software and distributing them freely. Some do it based on the belief that some of this stuff should be free and/or is terribly overpriced but I find that most most of this practice is done under a larger effort to distribute malware within cracked software for criminal intent.

- chacker - my own created term for chinese hackers (if used <- please credit). Chinese hackers actual work a shift, if you watch logs of a server or site being attacked from China you'll see they start and end and precise times when they workday begins and ends. I think their goal in life is to simply make system administrators lives hell.

-------

I'm sure more of HTS members could have some additions. However, no matter what way you put it.. like most journalists and media - you're gonna fuck it up and portray us as this guy one way or the other.

tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WritersBlock on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:17 pm
([msg=64837]see Re: Writing an article...[/msg])

tremor77 wrote: Like 'hacker' vs. 'cracker'.. that's like comparing Apples to orange play-doh.

Christ, one post in and I've already made myself look like a moron...

The whole reason I posted is so I can find out about these distinctions because of the very reason you gave-

tremor77 wrote: no matter what way you put it.. like most journalists and media - you're gonna fuck it up and portray us as this guy one way or the other.

Which is exactly what I don't want to do.

More than getting an explanation of the misconceptions around such terms, I would like to actually quote a couple of people, which would surely give you a chance to portray yourselves as you actually are.

In any case, thank you for replying.
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:12 pm
([msg=64840]see Re: Writing an article...[/msg])

tremor77 wrote: - chacker - my own created term for chinese hackers (if used <- please credit). Chinese hackers actual work a shift, if you watch logs of a server or site being attacked from China you'll see they start and end and precise times when they workday begins and ends. I think their goal in life is to simply make system administrators lives hell.

Not that I'm racist or anything but this made me laugh. +1
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by tremor77 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 pm
([msg=64843]see Re: Writing an article...[/msg])

WritersBlock wrote:More than getting an explanation of the misconceptions around such terms, I would like to actually quote a couple of people, which would surely give you a chance to portray yourselves as you actually are.

1. Read through the HTS introductions. You'll more than likely uncover numerous posts of blatant braggadocio and complete lies but there are several true to the bone accounts in there. If there is one thing so-called hackers are great at, it's overstating their abilities and making up good stories about things they've done.

2. You'll not find a stereotype. The 'hacker' type crosses all ages, genders, races, socio-political beliefs, stock, income level, et al.

3. I would not personally profess to represent HTS or hackers in general. If there is any type of quote or question that you'd like for me to answer at length, feel free to PM.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 pm
([msg=64872]see Re: Writing an article...[/msg])

tremor77 wrote: - chacker - my own created term for chinese hackers (if used <- please credit). Chinese hackers actual work a shift, if you watch logs of a server or site being attacked from China you'll see they start and end and precise times when they workday begins and ends. I think their goal in life is to simply make system administrators lives hell.

This I wouldn't doubt. Most of HTS's DDoS attacks are from these damn chackers (Copyright tremor77, 2012).

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by tremor77 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 am
([msg=64881]see Re: Writing an article...[/msg])

mShred wrote:This I wouldn't doubt. Most of HTS's DDoS attacks are from these damn chackers (Copyright tremor77, 2012).

So that's how they found my server! I thought a link in my forum sig on HTS would help my websites SEO score but all it did was attract the Chackers! (©tremor77, 2012)
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Return to NZone