Implications of overthinking

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Implications of overthinking

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:13 am
([msg=64676]see Implications of overthinking[/msg])

I was thinking about my current progress with HTML. I did a bit of research on the forums to see where I should go with my knowledge and how far I should go into my knowledge. Getting into HTML, I was wondering should one learn HTML (and other languages) as an entire language memorizing everything? Or, should one know the basics and understanding of them while having a reference to help with translation. Like knowing sentence structure but having a multi-language dictionary for words. Sorry if this is more complicated than it needed to be.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Implications of overthinking

Post by pretentious on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 am
([msg=64678]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

I don't know HTML off by heart. If I forget how to use something, I'll look it up. I'm also familiar with a bunch of programming/scripting languages, not to the extent that I'm an honed professional but to the extent that if i don't know how to get something working, i won't need to waste too much time figuring it out, if that makes sense. Just my two cents
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:54 am
([msg=64680]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

To go into html or any language trying to memorize everything is inefficient, especially if you are going to be learning more than one language at once. Eventually after time and repeating certain things over and over you will naturally embed syntax into memory. I usually try to learn the fundamentals and commit that to memory and learn advanced topics so when I run across a certain situation where they may be needed, I can recognize that and then go back and look up what I need.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm
([msg=64687]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

Thank you; I ask because I have read that you should know why a "tool" does what it does. I have yet to use any tools, but fundamentally learning how and why something works is far more intriguing than if I press the blue button it works. The question seemed like basic knowledge, but one wonders if they are putting themselves at a disadvantage, when one doesn't fully commit to completely learning and memorizing the language. It is amusing how the most basic ideas can be the hardest to come to a conclusion about when you are so used to looking beyond basic ideas.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:33 pm
([msg=64706]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

I have to disagree with the above posts.

In terms of HTML - you SHOULD be able to memorize everything. HTML is not a complex markup language and I think anyone who aspires to be anything in web design should be able to sit down with a blank notepad++ and bang out an HTML page template without having to look at a single reference material.

Save your reference material for CSS, which, undeniably today is an absolute requirement as a partner to HTML. Even then, most CSS should be well committed to memory after awhile. I'd have to say i'm at 95%.

It is in my opinion that you SHOULD be able to write a completely W3C Standards Compliant HTML/CSS website without a single reference material, in notepad, including doctype declarations, meta tags, complete with CSS styled drop down menus...

- ok maybe not the drop downs but the rest for sure. Reference mats should be saved for PHP, Javascript and other more complicated applications. As a lead developer at a design firm I would never hire on anyone who would need to refer to an HTML cheat sheet while building a site, it is highly inefficient for things that a web designer should KNOW just like the alphabet and multiplication tables.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm
([msg=64709]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

I'm looking at it like you shouldn't sit there and be like, "hey let me memorize this verbatim". Definitely the syntax and xhtml standards. It should stick after writing html code over and over again. To sit and memorize it is not the same as learning it and then writing it. However, I write more code in c++ and have committed a lot more of that to memory than html, javascript etc... I have to do some memory management. Html, it's just something I could glance at and be off. It is great though for learning indenting and code structure.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:17 am
([msg=64716]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

I agree, if I aspired to be a web designer, I definitely would strive to commit HTML and others to memory though lots of practice. I am currently tying to get a broad understanding of computer languages beyond what HTS missions offer. I definitely enjoyed the missions, but I feel that I have a lot of catching up to do in the computer world. I would love to know everything, but that is roughly impossible. So, my intentions are to have a broad understanding of most computer languages in hopes I can find out what I truly enjoy. Great answers to my question, it's better to have more than one point of view, so you can mess together an answer that suits your own needs.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by tgoe on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:46 am
([msg=64717]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

Going into _____ memorizing everything is inefficient.

Very true, in my experience. One of my best teachers in high school introduced me to the concept of "Spaced Repetition". i.e., rote memorization is fleeting (and possibly damaging) because it implies one-time use (I aced the test, I got the job). If you use _____ every day, with a reference, long-time memorization is an unavoidable side-effect.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:22 pm
([msg=64724]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

tgoe wrote:
Going into _____ memorizing everything is inefficient.

Very true, in my experience. One of my best teachers in high school introduced me to the concept of "Spaced Repetition". i.e., rote memorization is fleeting (and possibly damaging) because it implies one-time use (I aced the test, I got the job). If you use _____ every day, with a reference, long-time memorization is an unavoidable side-effect.

Wonderfully worded, I'll have to remember that.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:02 pm
([msg=64756]see Re: Implications of overthinking[/msg])

All I can think of is the two 'kids' (in their 20's / me in my 30's) who work under me, and my little brother and sister as well.... regarding memorization. At some point in the 90's there was a shift in U.S. teaching philosophy regarding multiplication tables. Whereas when I grew up I believe by the 4th or 5th grade we were required commit multiplication to memory up to 12x12, my brother @ 27, was taught this funky thing with fingers and basing everything of the 9's and then subtracting. My sister @ 21 and the two kids who work under me about the same... got to use calculators for math in school.

So when someone asks what 8x7 is I immediately respond 56. My brother does some counting on his fingers like some autistic kid and responds 56 in about 5 seconds... while these other kids are still trying to pull up their calculator app on their iPhone.

Just saying. Some things just become more efficient long term, if you just 'know' them without thinking about it.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Return to NZone