Where to Start

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Where to Start

Post by RustyNailgun on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:37 pm
([msg=64466]see Where to Start[/msg])

I have been on this site for a week or so now, mostly attempting challenges, just reading, and absorbing. In the meantime, I have completed the w3schools JS, SQL, HTML, and XHTML tutorials. (I had limited prior experience in HTML and CSS). The problem is, I cannot really find a good starting place after this - other than more languages - and HTS seems to encourage external research rather than containing instructional posts on the site itself. As such, I don't really know what to work on. What topics should I start out with? Also, are there any specific websites that are good, or does each topic just need to be searched on google until a suitable explanation is found?
RustyNailgun
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where to Start

Post by pretentious on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 pm
([msg=64467]see Re: Where to Start[/msg])

Hacking is a broad topic. Find something that interests you and research it. I would suggest using Google mostly because from my experience, no single website will give you everything you need to know. Hope my 2 sentiences antiquity answered you question.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RustyNailgun on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:00 am
([msg=64481]see Re: Where to Start[/msg])

Sounds good, thanks. Only other thing I'd like to know, then, are what the major subtopics to choose from are. I'm guessing those include cryptography, firewalls, and viruses (/programming)?
RustyNailgun
New User
New User

Post by tgoe on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 am
([msg=64486]see Re: Where to Start[/msg])

I don't have that answer, but I think I can describe it: Hacking isn't a skill set. "Hacking" is a mindset. And this:

http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/

You've already started learning, simply don't stop :)
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 am
([msg=64489]see Re: Where to Start[/msg])

tgoe wrote:"Hacking" is a mindset

Agreed.

Now a days the term "hacking/hacker" gets thrown around pretty loosely. I think it's a combination of the generation and media influences. It doesn't always mean doing what you see in the movies or hear in the news recently. Honestly, if they made a true to life movie about hacking, most people either wouldn't understand it or walk out.

My advice to the OP. Just start learning either development and/or networking. Then branch out from there. Like pretentious said, find what interests you. Try creating a site, it could just be located on the local host. Set up a database, create a login etc.... There are plenty of programming problems on the web which aren't language specific. Do the challenges here at HTS. When you don't know what to do, learn the new technology that is presented to you.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to NZone