Starting out

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Starting out

Post by daseinuncanny on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 am
([msg=63727]see Starting out[/msg])

Hi all,
I guess the subsequent question is kind of open ended so I'll try to start with what kind of stuff i'd like to learn more about: encryption/decryption, circumventing firewalls/about firewalls in general, data protection and the accessing of protected data. Also I'm curious about the theory of DOS attacks but I realize that might be a sketchy topic.

right now i have the option to take some intro computer science classes. Since i have no experience coding i figured that this could be a good way to start to learn(the class teaches java). Is this the case or would my time be better spent learning in different ways?

Let me just disclaim that I'm only interested in this stuff as knowledge for the sake of knowledge and I certainly don't intend to do anything malicious

Thanks
d
daseinuncanny
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Starting out

Post by pretentious on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:23 am
([msg=63731]see Re: Starting out[/msg])

i'll go unorthodox and throw out some words you can google:
cryptography: cryptographic hash, salt, one time pad, one way funciton, brute force attack, dictionary attack, rainbow tables
if you're using windows i recommend you get cain and able and play with it

firewalls: not too learned in this but i know of hardware and software firewalls
protecting/accessing data: dunno about this but check out truecrypt

DOS: ddos, ping, ping of death(historical reference :P ) i think LOIC is probably worth looking into

If you need any help with Java, give me a shout, though my personal preference would be to expand your programming language vocab as soon as you get comfy. I went from self taught C++ to a year of Java at uni, dive back into C++ and it was terrifying, but then again, i'm still a bit of a newbie, so take with a grain of salt

-- Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:26 am --

i'll go unorthodox and throw out some words you can google:
cryptography: cryptographic hash, salt, one time pad, one way funciton, brute force attack, dictionary attack, rainbow tables
if you're using windows i recommend you get cain and able and play with it

firewalls: not too learned in this but i know of hardware and software firewalls
protecting/accessing data: dunno about this but check out truecrypt

DOS: ddos, ping, ping of death(historical reference :P ) i think LOIC is probably worth looking into

If you need any help with Java, give me a shout, though my personal preference would be to expand your programming language vocab as soon as you get comfy. I went from self taught C++ to a year of Java at uni, dive back into C++ and it was terrifying, but then again, i'm still a bit of a newbie, so take with a grain of salt
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 pm
([msg=63737]see Re: Starting out[/msg])

daseinuncanny wrote:Hi all,
I guess the subsequent question is kind of open ended so I'll try to start with what kind of stuff i'd like to learn more about: encryption/decryption, circumventing firewalls/about firewalls in general, data protection and the accessing of protected data. Also I'm curious about the theory of DOS attacks but I realize that might be a sketchy topic.

right now i have the option to take some intro computer science classes. Since i have no experience coding i figured that this could be a good way to start to learn(the class teaches java). Is this the case or would my time be better spent learning in different ways?

Let me just disclaim that I'm only interested in this stuff as knowledge for the sake of knowledge and I certainly don't intend to do anything malicious

Thanks
d

I lot of this can be easily found on Google, which you will soon learn is your best friend. I highly doubt there is any DOS theory, it's pretty much a last ditch effort to take down a server. It's like sending you lots of mail until you're mailbox is full and can no longer accept new, legitimate, mail. This is the attempt the 'hacking' group Anonymous uses, because the majority of them don't know shit. Anywho, I would suggest you go and take those computer science classes as it'll help you understand quite a bit more.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by daseinuncanny on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm
([msg=63738]see Re: Starting out[/msg])

thanks, pretentious, i'll probably take you up on that java help offer ;)

thanks, centip3de. You mentioned that DOS are last ditch attempts to take down a server, what "field" would this kind of thing fall into? Like, what should i google if I wanted to learn more about the other strategies to take down a server?
daseinuncanny
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 pm
([msg=63739]see Re: Starting out[/msg])

daseinuncanny wrote:thanks, pretentious, i'll probably take you up on that java help offer ;)

thanks, centip3de. You mentioned that DOS are last ditch attempts to take down a server, what "field" would this kind of thing fall into? Like, what should i google if I wanted to learn more about the other strategies to take down a server?

The field would be just general Internet based hacking.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to NZone