Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?

Post by tenftcoke on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:10 am
([msg=60262]see Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

rate these passwords for 1-10 based on security where 1 = likely to be obained and 10 = unlikely to be obtained

password 1
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
this is c repeated 30 times, 30 is just an arbitrary number, 100 is of course optimal. ive found most password fields support up to 30 characters and some (like gmail) support even more up in the 100s. ive also found that most brute force password crackers don't go beyond 15 characters. idk do rainbow fields include passwords like this?
run javascript with alert document write loop to get ccc... for copy and paste

password 2
thecatranupanddownthetreetofindtheyellowball
classic passphrase

password 3
Jansshays110@gmail.com;Legoman123@yahoo.com
These resemble emails i use with 1 difference. I capitalize the first character of each email unlike the actual emails and theres a space tacked on at the end

password 4
escondido44
this is the password i use for all my forum accounts (except this one..)

password 5
jallokarkos123!
this resembles the password i use for all my email accounts

password 6
Jallokarkos123!
this resembles my paypal password. note that theres a space at the end in addition to the capitalized letter
tenftcoke
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?

Post by tremor77 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:22 am
([msg=60282]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

they are all fail.

something more like 3Qr7$lJ00xi makes for a better password.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:44 am
([msg=60283]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

password 4
escondido44
this is the password i use for all my forum accounts (except this one..)

So.....what other forums do you visit? Lol, nah j/k, don't answer that. Honestly though you shouldn't post information like that and I would change the password now.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Vulpine on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:59 am
([msg=60285]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:they are all fail.

^ This.

What I tend to do is think of a memorable quote, limerick, or whatever. Turn it into an acronym and then make it l33t.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 pm
([msg=60322]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

These are pretty bad passwords, especially because it appears you use the same password for multiple sites (if one site gets compromised, you're screwed).

Out of curiosity, do you play Starcraft 2?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:37 pm
([msg=60330]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

Dictionary attack is likely out of the question for most of them as they are quite random and sticking an '!' after the numbers will prevent cains hybrid attack of adding numbers in front of a password. escondido44 doesn't have this and escondido is the name of a city so there is potential for it to be in a password list, so I would consider that weak. The rest i would probably need to brute force.
tremor77 wrote:they are all fail.

something more like 3Qr7$lJ00xi makes for a better password.

when brute forcing, the strength of the password can probably best be estimated with keyspace = [# of different characters used]^[password length in characters] the keyspace of 30 'c's is [26 lowercase characters tested]^[30] 2.813198901×10⁴². if "3Qr7$lJ00xi" was used the keyspace would be [72 if i calculated it right]^[11] = 2.695612495×10²⁰ making 30 'c's a stronger password. Did i get something wrong tremor77?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:04 am
([msg=60346]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

Try a password generator, and different passwords for each site... except for this site and HF, (changed recently) I use a random password generator. For instance, after running it once, I got the output: Fjekgje43kjKj35 , that my friend, is a good password.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:33 pm
([msg=60351]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Try a password generator, and different passwords for each site. For instance, after running it once, I got the output: Fjekgje43kjKj35

That has to be a bitch to remember.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by acevic on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:08 pm
([msg=60354]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

The first time I learned that computers can be hacked I got paranoid and used the pass:

XeddXmd69810088147572X@3.428571429

All a mixture of random letters, the number of some random hot girl, and a mathematical constant with caps on all the Xs.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:13 pm
([msg=60359]see Re: Rate these passwords for security on a scale of one to ten?[/msg])

mShred wrote:
centip3de wrote:Try a password generator, and different passwords for each site. For instance, after running it once, I got the output: Fjekgje43kjKj35

That has to be a bitch to remember.

I make mathematical formula's out of them, or nursery rhymes until it becomes second nature :)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to NZone