Mentor a noob??

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Mentor a noob??

Post by Mailody on Thu May 27, 2010 4:14 pm
([msg=39171]see Mentor a noob??[/msg])

First off hi!!! My name is Melody. I want to learn to hack, but as much as I read there is no site or book that can really teach me very well. Soooooo what I'm hoping for is someone that is experienced and patient and can help me through the noob faze and send me off with good foundation into the hacking world, so I may soar among programs that I, hopfully, will be able to write. :D Soooooo if you can spare an hour a couple times a week to like give me 'lessons' and five minutes a day to help me with random quetions pm me or email me at MailodyKheel@gmail.com
Mailody
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mentor a noob??

Post by Vulpine on Thu May 27, 2010 11:30 pm
([msg=39182]see Re: Mentor a noob??[/msg])

The random questions can be easily handled here in the forums, but I highly doubt that anyone here really has the time (or patience) to actually do some 1-on-1 teaching. Most folks here are pretty self-motivated.

That being said, I (and whoever else chimes in here) can help to point you in the right direction to get started.

To do any web-hacking, you'll need to know HTML, and a multitude of other things that go into web-design. This link is a pretty good place to start that:
W3 Schools

Defience also has a pretty good "noob" article that you may benefit from:
Defience's beginner article

The challenges on this site can provide you with some good practical experience to supplement the theoretical knowledge that you pick up. Just start with the first basic mission and go along at your own pace. If you get stumped, read through the appropriate thread for help on that particular challenge.

As far as programming goes... Some people advocate diving into a difficult language first, like C++. Others, easier languages like Python or Perl. I'm sure you know how you learn, so it's your choice.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Re: Mentor a noob??

Post by eljonto on Fri May 28, 2010 2:49 am
([msg=39196]see Re: Mentor a noob??[/msg])

And another mentor thread... There are plenty of resources available for beginners both on these forums and the WWW
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Return to NZone