Reading material for a nub

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Reading material for a nub

Post by Hunt21 on Tue May 20, 2008 2:44 am
([msg=2869]see Reading material for a nub[/msg])

Hello,

I am a long time web programmer but have neglected the realm of hacking. I am very versed in PHP and HTML and am knowledge in JS, Unix, and network operations.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some reading material for me on hacking in general, some more frequently hackable concepts, and how to hack a server (in the rootthisbox fashion). I have completed all the basics and a majority of the realistic missions so I'm farmilar.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Hunt21
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Reading material for a nub

Post by hex_wannabe on Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 am
([msg=2876]see Re: Reading material for a nub[/msg])

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any tutorials on hacking in general, it's just to broad. From the sounds of it you're more interested in learning about rooting, and this I cannot help you with. Can anyone out there point us in the right direction for this sort of stuff?
Personally I learnt a bit from PullThePlug.org start on vortex, which was made for beginners, and just see where you get. The tutorials included with the missions are a tad on the confusing side but if you can get your head around them I think they'll be quite helpful.
Anyone else have some links to help us with this?
http://www.netninja.co.nz - My writing forum
hex_wannabe
Experienced User
Experienced User

Re: Reading material for a nub

Post by blackprince491 on Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 pm
([msg=3657]see Re: Reading material for a nub[/msg])

juss start w/ the basic missions and work your way up that covers most of the basic skills... go figure
“If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always."
blackprince491
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone