where do i start here ?? help me..

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

where do i start here ?? help me..

Post by BreakMyName on Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 am
([msg=2348]see where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

can you help me where i can start about learning new skills in this site??....because im just a newbie here in your site so pls help me where do i begin here??..,tnx
BreakMyName
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: where do i start here ?? help me..

Post by hex_wannabe on Wed May 14, 2008 5:04 am
([msg=2418]see Re: where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

If I sound angry during this, it's because so many people are asking the same stupid question.
The main HTS page has this little link to a section called articles. At the top of them there is a little link to HTS Challenge Tutorials. Now maybe, just maybe, you could use your eyes and read these? In less than a minute I uncovered this:
http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/943
A guide to the first ten basic missions? Sounds like a good start.
Think I managed to keep from sounding to angry.
Enjoy
http://www.netninja.co.nz - My writing forum
hex_wannabe
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by trevoralexander on Sat May 17, 2008 10:38 am
([msg=2654]see Re: where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

hex_wannabe, you are a jack-ass! These so called "tutorials" are not in any way shape or form tutorials in the traditional sense of what a tutorial is. They're simply a description of how the mission is either very hard, or not hard at all, then they go on to say "just read the description of the problem". In some cases, people need to be walked through a problem in order to learn from it. One cannot expect another person to just know how to do the problem by reading its description; especially as a beginner. Believe it or not if someone is having difficulty completing the "beginner" missions, it may mean they are... I don't know... BEGINNERS!

Therefore, don't F@#*ING post a response to someone's question regarding a challenge unless you are going to actually put in some sense and help the community out!

YOU DAFT WANKER!
trevoralexander
New User
New User

Post by hacker-n-training on Sat May 17, 2008 11:15 am
([msg=2656]see Re: where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

trevoralexander wrote:hex_wannabe, you are a jack-ass! These so called "tutorials" are not in any way shape or form tutorials in the traditional sense of what a tutorial is. They're simply a description of how the mission is either very hard, or not hard at all, then they go on to say "just read the description of the problem". In some cases, people need to be walked through a problem in order to learn from it. One cannot expect another person to just know how to do the problem by reading its description; especially as a beginner. Believe it or not if someone is having difficulty completing the "beginner" missions, it may mean they are... I don't know... BEGINNERS!

Therefore, don't F@#*ING post a response to someone's question regarding a challenge unless you are going to actually put in some sense and help the community out!

YOU DAFT WANKER!

Trevoralexander, your way out of line... hex_wannabe is doing what he should. Remember he doesn't have to give any advice if he chooses not to just like everyone else here. Your look to be spoonfed and that's now what it's about. It's about learning on your OWN. Simple hints here and there to help you on your way. GOOGLE should be your #1 most used site. Try to learn on your own and don't expect others feed you every answer.
To understand the heart and mind of a person,
Look not at what they have already done,
but what they aspire to do. - hacker-n-training
hacker-n-training
New User
New User

Post by hex_wannabe on Sun May 18, 2008 2:37 am
([msg=2703]see Re: where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

Na, I kinda agree with the guy, I was a tad on the harsh side :oops:
Let me make it up to you, whether you discovered it or not theres this: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=398
As for the basic missions themselves, browse the basics section of the forum it spells it out really well without handing the game away. If you're still stuck PM me or, if you already hate me, one of the other guys who have offered to help people (the list is here viewtopic.php?f=79&t=272)
Oh, and on a side note I never actually read that at all, I completed them all ages ago and just found that when I had a look through the articles, it sounded helpful so I threw it in.
Now I agree with hacker-n-training in that google is your best friend, learn to use it properly and you'll learn alot more than any one person could ever teach you, but you also have a point. There isn't really anything that starts at the very basics around. But also think of it this way: The point is not to be spoon fed, we're all here to learn. When I started the basics I took the time and effort to browse through the forums for help. In fact I don't believe I EVER posted on the old forums, and yet I still found the answer to all my problems. Sometimes it took ten minutes, others I'd spend countless hours searching google for something that might work in a given situation. It was a pain in the arse, but it was both rewarding and helpfull when I finally got it. If you are completely stuck, or can't get in the right frame of mind PM me.
Otherwise, good luck
(Oh, and sorry about the long post)
hex_wannabe
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by blackprince491 on Thu May 22, 2008 4:15 pm
([msg=3030]see Re: where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

Im a big fan of this post

bjvanwash wrote:So you want to know how to hack huh?
Do you want us to hack something for you?
Do you need the answers for missions on hackthissite.org?

Well guess what? It's not gonna happen!!!

I'm sick and tired of reading 5 threads in a day and hearing someone say in each one, "how do I hack this?", "hack this for me", "I'm a newbie, what are the answers?"

SUCK IT UP AND LEARN!!!

We all started out just like you. I started out on hackthissite.org in 2004 learning more and more each day by researching. That is the key. Google should be your best friend.

You know, it has been 4 years since I started out on here, and I would not consider myself a "hacker". Yeah I may know a lot more than I used to, I may be able to crack some passwords here and there, but that took time. When I first created my username and password through hackthissite.org, I hardly ever used the forums. If I had a question about something, I researched it; through the forums, articles, and google. Most of the time I found someone who had posted a topic in the forums that was very similar to my problem. That's what you should do. Search everywhere and anywhere for your answer before you post a new topic. The HTS community is sick of it. If you post something such as, "will you hack blahblahblah.com for me?" you will be ignored or yelled at for it. TRUST ME!

Hacking is not about breaking passwords. It's not about defacing somebody's website/webpage. It's not about creating viruses and sending them to people to see how many files you can destroy. Hacking is about security and how you can make it better (white hat hacking). It's about learning on your own, learning from your mistakes, learning from other people's mistakes, and researching. There are so many vulnerabilities out there these days and as the government is concerned, hackers are dangerous. Give "hackers" a good name by finding vulnerable systems with solutions to make it better.

-- If possible, I would like this to be stickied. Thank you. --
“If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always."
blackprince491
Poster
Poster

Post by hex_wannabe on Fri May 23, 2008 2:24 am
([msg=3069]see Re: where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

Quite right, you'd think a noob would read the "noobs read this first" post wouldn't you?
hex_wannabe
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by blackprince491 on Thu May 29, 2008 9:02 pm
([msg=3626]see Re: where do i start here ?? help me..[/msg])

but thats y they r noobs. they dont know enough to do what they should
“If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always."
blackprince491
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone