Beginner here!

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Beginner here!

Post by coldhearth666 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:26 pm
([msg=10593]see Beginner here![/msg])

Hi there,

I've just logged on too this site and I want to learn how to hack.
It's something that has been fascinating me for a long time and I love to learn
new things about computers and programming.

I am in the possession of an macbook pro and I was wondering if some of you guys could
teach me where to start... Because there are so much topics here I just don't know where to start.

I have some experience programming in Java from my first year of college this year and I know some web programming skills
like PHP.

Hope you guys can help me out :)

Thx!
coldhearth666
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Beginner here!

Post by MrMajestic on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:47 pm
([msg=10596]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

Learn these languages to start with:
C,C#,C++
Javascript
HTML
PHP
Perl
Java (not the most important of them though.)
MrMajestic
New User
New User

Post by coldhearth666 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:01 am
([msg=10615]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

Okay, but do I have to know all of them?
And why these ones? :)
coldhearth666
New User
New User

Post by nosidius on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:35 pm
([msg=11453]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

MrMajestic wrote:Learn these languages to start with:

javascript injection at least............
give me knowledge or give me death
nosidius
Poster
Poster

Post by K-Barbarich on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:54 am
([msg=15423]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

Doing the Challenges will help a lot.
Might be easy for you but revising on things can also help.
Just search this community and I'm sure you'll find plentiful supply of knowledge to be shared.
K-Barbarich
New User
New User

Post by sidebottom on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:41 am
([msg=15531]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

First thing you should do is learn the proper places to post questions. There is probably a better place than the "Philosophy > General" section to ask this question.

Second, figure out what a hacker is and more importantly what a hacker IS NOT. A hacker IS NOT someone named "Lord Crash-&-Burn" who rollerblades around town wearing 80s reject clothing breaking into government computers by guessing the root password is GOD.

A hacker (to me) is someone who learns by doing, building, breaking, taking apart and putting it all back together. Figure out how something works. Then figure out how to make it work in ways that it's not supposed to.

The most important thing is for you to think like a hacker.

Learn what attacks there are and more importantly, learn WHY they work the way they do.

Third, learn your self some basic programming. Since you're in college, you're probably smart enough to start with C++. Although a lot of colleges start their CS majors learning Java, I feel this puts them at a great disadvantage. Java handles a lot of the basics of low-level programming which will cause you to be clueless about them and how the computer actually is running your program and handling your data. I'd say C++ is a great language to start because it doesn't hide the basics of computer architecture and it gets more powerful the more you learn to use it; this means beginners can use it to make stupid single function console programs and badass programmers can use it to make operating systems and device drivers.

Once you start learning some C++, start reading some basic books and articles on hacking techniques and methods and anything about computer security in general. Then write yourself some proof-of-concept programs. For example, say you just read about what a SYN flood is....don't download one, write yourself your own SYNflooder and try it out. This is very good both for coding practice and reinforcing principals in computer security.

Mac's are pretty good for security stuff from what I hear, since they are Unix based. I don't think you'll have much problem getting the millions of Linux security tools to work on it. However, you will definitely want an install of both Windows and Linux to play with so get yourself some virtualization software (VMware, Sun's Virtual Box, or MS Virtual PC) so you can have these other operating systems running on your MacBook Pro at the same time.

Finally, get some ethics. Don't mess around with an other person's computer. You wouldn't want someone to practice hacking on your machine right, so don't you do it to someone else. Build yourself a test "lab" (Virtual machines work well for this) and practice there.

Well, this should keep you busy for a few years...

Hope this helps. Welcome to HTS and congrats. See y'around!
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Post by Dr_Phil on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 pm
([msg=15667]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

nosidius wrote:
MrMajestic wrote:Learn these languages to start with:

javascript injection at least............

:o :cry:

Please, please, please!
Tell me that you know that Java and javascript is two totally different things!
Please tell me that it was no more than a simple mistake!

EDIT: Coldhearth666, feel very welcome to HTS and may your cold heart become warm! ;)
Take care and read the post from SideBottom very carefully, it was a long and very good answer he gave you.
Dr_Phil
Poster
Poster

Post by Delaney12 on Sun May 18, 2014 4:58 pm
([msg=80818]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

I am new at this as well. I have been doing some online research and joined on here as well to learn even more. How has it been going for you?
Delaney12
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Sun May 18, 2014 5:27 pm
([msg=80822]see Re: Beginner here![/msg])

Delaney12 wrote:I am new at this as well. I have been doing some online research and joined on here as well to learn even more. How has it been going for you?

Pay attention to the last post date. If it is not an open ended topic and several several months old don't necro it please.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to NZone