I want to learn - I have learned  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: I want to learn - I have learned

Post by kiba200222 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:00 am
([msg=30622]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

i want to learn anything u can teach me im sadly an impatiant person but very rewarding to those that help me theach me anything u can plz i want to learn everything
kiba200222
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by m0lecules on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:03 pm
([msg=31360]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

I want to learn, or should I say understand what a hackers mind is. As because I want to protect myself and my friends from Identity theft.

Well, I would also like to learn Javascript wbat it is and how it's used, and I was able to understand it a little better now when I've done basic5 last week.
m0lecules
New User
New User

Post by faazshift on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:44 pm
([msg=31363]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

m0lecules wrote:I want to learn, or should I say understand what a hackers mind is. As because I want to protect myself and my friends from Identity theft.

Well, I would also like to learn Javascript wbat it is and how it's used, and I was able to understand it a little better now when I've done basic5 last week.

Well, as in an article I linked to once, there are two sets of rules for every system: the rules as they are intended, and the actual rules. The mindset of a hacker is to find the actual rules of something. To do this, it really helps to learn all you can. For example, if you know that a misconstructed sql statement can show you more sensitive information, you are able to find sql injection vulnerabilities more easily (whether your purpose is for security, or infiltration). So, thoroughly learning about a broad variety of current subjects (php, sql, et. al.) is the best way to find those 'actual rules' and use them to do whatever your purpose may be.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by UndeadLe on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:30 am
([msg=31689]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

I want to learn: asp, sql, assembly, stego, decompilation, and much more about security threats.

I've learned: Java, javascript, html, some php, and a wee bit about security threats.
UndeadLe
New User
New User

Post by RedHatRabbit on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:33 am
([msg=33797]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

I want to learn:
Javascript
PHP
SQL
Firewalls
How to use Linux OS( Tried it but scared to use it)
How to build applications in Linux
Linux Shell/Terminal commands
If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.
RedHatRabbit
New User
New User

Post by wh1t3halcy0n on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 pm
([msg=35431]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

RedHatRabbit wrote:I want to learn:
Javascript
PHP
SQL
Firewalls
How to use Linux OS( Tried it but scared to use it)
How to build applications in Linux
Linux Shell/Terminal commands

Javascript, PHP, and SQL: You'll find a good amount of tutorials on w3schools.com. It's a good place for reference. Keep reading. I am sorry to make that broad, but the only way you'll learn it is by writing the code itself. It means practice.

Firewalls... I haven't really found much INTERNET sources helpful (I've looked around a lot). I know of two GREAT books however that are not new but they are VERY informative.

Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Prevention, Detection, and Recovery by Bob Toxen (This is more of a general security book)
Building Internet Firewalls by D. Brent Chapman and Elizabeth Zwicky from the O Reilly series

You may be able to t*rrent them ;-) (I do not condone this, I suggest buying it!)

As for using a Linux OS. Well it depends on what you want to do. I hear the best beginner type of Linux is Ubuntu. Things to note are:
1. Linux is open source; 99% are free and downloadable. I would suggest Ubuntu however since you are a bit afraid hehe. I would say goto ubuntu.com and obtain an iso.
2. I came in under Ubuntu 5.x or something, I believe they now make a way for you to try Ubuntu as a windows program. I say get a copy of ubuntu and burn the iso to disc and run it. See how you like it. If you plan on installing it, you'll want to read up on dual booting and finding if the drivers are available for your computer hardware. Also back up your data just in case...
3. Building applications in linux- You may want to look into programming. If you are looking into compiler-compilers and computer language, you may want to read bison and flex. You'll want to get comfortable with the *nix system first, but goto sourceforge.net to see how most projects are constructed. You'll have to read how programs arae built, configured, and installed.
4. You will want to learn the linux/shell commands first ( I believe bash is the most common shell) once you get linux installed.

I hope this is helpful
wh1t3halcy0n
New User
New User

Post by dentedface on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm
([msg=35991]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

i have just joined, and i don't really know what i want to learn. i just want to learn basics to begin with, `cause i don't know the first thing about hacking. i don't know how to do anything right now.
dentedface
New User
New User

Post by ejay010 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 pm
([msg=37958]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

ok i have learend all by myself :D (Thanks for pushing me in the right direction HTS):
HTML
CSS
some python(in the process)
umm..i can complete the basic mission with the little tiny bit of javascript i knw
and thats that, i would like to learn wardriving, i have been curious about what PHP is and, i read some where that making an OS is really hard but i wanna try that too, um..some web hacking would b nice, and well just about every mission title, on HTS is what i want to learn...oh yea can some one tell me what a BOX is cuz i came across it in reading a book about a hacker and am still lost, google isnt helping. so i wanna be a freelance penetration tester :mrgreen: so if there is anything i need to learn to do that PM me please with a list or w/e thanks in advance.
ejay010
New User
New User

Post by Vulpine on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 pm
([msg=37961]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

dentedface wrote:i have just joined, and i don't really know what i want to learn. i just want to learn basics to begin with, `cause i don't know the first thing about hacking. i don't know how to do anything right now.

I believe the best place to start, in regards to the challenges presented on this site, would be HTML. From there, you can branch out into other subject matters related to web design.

W3 Schools is a great place for this:
http://www.w3schools.com/

You'll also want to start exposing yourself to programming (Python is not a bad place to start) and maybe a little bit of Unix
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by circuitboardsushi on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 pm
([msg=38050]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

Its funny I never learned python but I have been using basic and similar languages since the 3rd grade. Something to do with reusing outdated technology. I remember a "laptop" that couldn't read a small floppy disc because most of them have larger memories than the hard-drive. I only started getting into networking and web technology and languages recently, like after I read Nueromancer a couple years ago.

I think in the future more and more people will have to know how to defend themselves. You cant rely on governments or corporations to help you.

I want to learn more about wireless ad-hoc networking. I want to become more hardware proficient, doing repair and mods. I really just want to be good engineer, thats what I am going to school for.
circuitboardsushi
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to NZone