File extensions and Realistic 3

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

File extensions and Realistic 3

Post by JamesB01 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 pm
([msg=81644]see File extensions and Realistic 3[/msg])

Hey,

Completed Realistic 3 a bit ago and finally managed to place what was bugging me about it. I'll try not to give spoilers to anything so please forgive a slightly strained wording (and this is a query regarding the technology, not the mission itself so I figured it belonged here rather than in the mission folder.)

New webpages created through the same method as Basic 8 have a standard file extension. Now, sure, from my reading that's only a default and servers can give their own. But did that mean the little peace poems girl changed it from that default to the one that is actually present (and I've just confirmed that the default file extension throws a 404). Or is there another route for creating ad hoc web pages, different to the one in Basic 8 that has the correct file extension as default - that is to say, the method for creation is different in Realistic 3 and Basic 8? If so, what is it - I like to think my google fu is pretty good but I'm struggling to find it.

Or am I simply overthinking this? I do that sometimes.

Hope this is appropriately located, appropriately unspoilered and comprehensible.

ETA: Or is it simply a matter of the user typing in the file extension in Realistic 3 being effectively the server overriding the default? So had I not typed in the extension the page would have been saved to name_of_page.default_extension while typing in the extension is effectively the mechanism for overriding that default. Hmmm.
JamesB01
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: File extensions and Realistic 3

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:24 am
([msg=81675]see Re: File extensions and Realistic 3[/msg])

I'm going to assume you mean simply 'is a file extension coded in or does it have to be provided?'. There's a really short answer there, that just depends on the implementation. Think how some software assumes it should save using a certain extension, but you can change that or use none instead.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JamesB01 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 pm
([msg=81682]see Re: File extensions and Realistic 3[/msg])

Ha, or to paraphrase: "Yes, you're overthinking it". Thanks for taking the time to respond.
JamesB01
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:07 pm
([msg=81687]see Re: File extensions and Realistic 3[/msg])

I don't see it as over-thinking. Better to think more about something and completely understand it than not thinking enough. As for the different implementations, you could go either way in your own web-server if you wanted to.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Return to NZone