Hardware suggestions?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Hardware suggestions?

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:44 pm
([msg=81228]see Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

My knowledge of hardware is even more limited than that of software (which is remarkably limited already), so I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

I've decided I want a new computer. I was looking at some and mentioned something to my buddy (who knows a lot more about computers than me). I mentioned that I want to dual-boot Windows (for gaming) and Ubuntu (per the suggestion in Ninjex's most helpful post) and he said something about how certain new PCs have some piece of hardware (I can't even remember what) that Ubuntu doesn't like working well with. This is all way over my head. So I was wondering what I needed to be on the lookout for before I go dump a bunch of money into a PC.
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hardware suggestions?

Post by pretentious on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:27 am
([msg=81239]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

My laptop that I use every day I bought at office works for <$500.

I run linux as my primary OS dual booted with windows though I havn't booted from that in ages.
With that in mind, I would suggest, all things being equal, getting an Nvidia graphics card if that comes up because I'm into 3d design and CUDA seems to be the only thing that blender will work with as of a few months ago when I last checked.

I've heard stuff about wireless cards, like supporting promiscuous mode but I'm not sure how big of a problem that is or wether it will affect you.

Also the new windows 8 bios replacement was a pain in my ass to get working, I ended up just booting in legacy mode.
You can't really avoid this now though I don't think.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cyberdrain on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:08 pm
([msg=81259]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

Most desktop hardware is well supported, though Nvidia more so than AMD graphics. As you don't want to use Ubuntu for gaming, it doesn't even matter which one of the two you pick. I've found that some hardware that didn't work on Windows suddenly does work on Linux, so it always depends. Just look for all parts you want to add, search for what problems people have with the hardware on Ubuntu and not pick the ones that seem to be hard to fix. Keep a lookout for hardware that comes with custom software, like scanners with a default graphics editor (drivers are usually OK though), proprietary software almost never has a Linux equivalent.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am
([msg=81301]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

Sorry for the late "thank you" guys. I still don't have Ubuntu installed, and it has been my complete focus when I'm not at work.

So, thanks! I never even considered just picking something and then checking all of the hardware against a search engine to see what the results with Ubuntu are. That's genius!
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:22 pm
([msg=81308]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't see myself as genius. That was just something that came into my head, everyone has those ideas once in a while.
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:32 am
([msg=81332]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

New plan! I don't need a gaming computer. That's what I bought my XBox for. So, I've decided on a laptop for my purposes. I was looking at the XPS 13 by Dell. The OS on it is 12.04, which is two years old. I believe technology gets outdated fast. Would this laptop still be viable, as far as hardware goes?

And would the hardware, which worked fine (I assume) for 12.04 automatically work well for 14.04?
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:51 pm
([msg=81334]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

Wow those things are pricey when new. Yeah, if 12.04 works, then 14.04 will work too. There are several version of that laptop available all called XPS 13, without any further specifications it's hard to say whether it's up to date. Seeing the amounts they cost when new I think the hardware won't be that much outdated, besides, Linux doesn't require much. Some versions are still able to be run entirely from floppy on the oldest of systems (not Ubuntu though).
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:42 pm
([msg=81417]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

Frustration with my old PC has lead to an expedited conclusion to my search.

Coming to you live from his Ubuntu OS on his brand new HP 8560P Elitebook, it's Misanthropy.exe!!!!

I'm loving it. So much faster than my unfortunately worn out old desktop. Also, Ubuntu went in without any hangups. And on my Ubuntu on my desktop, I couldn't install Chromium or Skype. I'm writing this through my Chromium browser and am currently installing what is certainly to be a successful Skype installation!

Thanks for all the input, everybody.
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by pretentious on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:55 am
([msg=81420]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

Misanthropydotexe wrote:Coming to you live from his Ubuntu OS on his brand new HP 8560P Elitebook, it's Misanthropy.exe!!!!

Fuckin A
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 am
([msg=81463]see Re: Hardware suggestions?[/msg])

pretentious wrote:
Misanthropydotexe wrote:Coming to you live from his Ubuntu OS on his brand new HP 8560P Elitebook, it's Misanthropy.exe!!!!

Fuckin A

Not sure if that's a good "Fuckin A" or a bad "Fuckin A" :shock:
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to NZone