Author Question

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Author Question

Post by skidawayme on Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 pm
([msg=80874]see Author Question[/msg])

Hi Everyone:

I'm a writer who, luckily, I believe, ended up here while researching wi-fi hacking for my new thriller. I've read the newbie posts but still am a little overwhelmed by this site and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Basically, my protagonist wants to hack into the security system of a 35-story building and be able to see everything in real time through existing cameras. He also wants to piggy-back new, hidden cameras in sensitive areas onto the existing system. He has an office in the building.

Unfortunately, the more I read about wi-fi and the technologies involved, the more daunting this seems. I'm not a technical person and, tho interested in the subject, I'm also facing a deadline. I need to learn enough to be convincing on paper but probably not enough to actually put anything into practice.

If someone could suggest where to begin and/or a methodology of search, I'd be very grateful.

Also, because I read the post about asking for help with things nefarious,I want to make sure everyone is aware this is a request for research information for a book. The information will be dribbled out here and there in rumination and narrative, much of it reflective. It will not be a tutorial, nor will it include enough material for someone to actually carry out the hacking. In the finished manuscript, it may only be several hundred words. To verify, my name is Britt Vasarhelyi and my first thriller (hacking free :mrgreen: ) is on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Message-Panama-Britt-Vasarhelyi-ebook/dp/B00AJ2OQLS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400721888&sr=1-1&keywords=message+from+panama.

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Britt
skidawayme
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Author Question

Post by limdis on Wed May 21, 2014 10:01 pm
([msg=80875]see Re: Author Question[/msg])

This excites me and I would like to get behind this. I can tell you all about the process to include both sides, the attacker and the defense. Contact me at limdis@hackthissite.org with the scenario you are wishing to portray and any questions you might have and I'll break down how to go about it. Think of it like an interview. :geek:
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by cyberdrain on Thu May 22, 2014 9:59 am
([msg=80888]see Re: Author Question[/msg])

Hehe, leave this to limdis. He's our resident Wifi-hacking expert (though he probably won't admit that). You've won some points for doing the research. :D
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tremor77 on Thu May 22, 2014 4:36 pm
([msg=80902]see Re: Author Question[/msg])

How I know post is legit, from an actual author... something I've almost never seen on HTS; spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Now to meat and potatoes.

skidawayme wrote: Basically, my protagonist wants to hack into the security system of a 35-story building and be able to see everything in real time through existing cameras. He also wants to piggy-back new, hidden cameras in sensitive areas onto the existing system. He has an office in the building.

Some thoughts:

[*]WiFi probably isn't your go-to angle on hacking this system. A 35-story building is more likely going to have hardwired cameras that feed to a security station.

[*] The building may have dozens of WiFi hotspots, none will be linked to building security. I've worked in a high-rise, where each floor is home to different companies, sometimes more than 1 per floor... the building owners often don't provide any internet access to the renters at all. That's right, most highrises are owned by a developer, and they lease the space. Each office is required to contract their own internet from Verizon or whoever provides the trunk. Each office will then probably have a WAP (wireless access point) and most of them will be private.

[*] For the sake of the plot, the building and the company residing in the building are one in the same. Their WiFi network still isn't going to be linked to security. It's simple network node architecture, we've got 35 floors and potentially 100 cameras, you're not going to want that bandwidth hogging up all your office worker bandwidth. In fact there is almost no valid reason for the security cameras to be wired into any networks, as most of them are still traditional CCTV (Closed Circuit) video feeds that run to a video control system from which security sits in front of and watches monitors. Even if it is IP Cams, they're still going to be over ethernet... I've never seen an installation of that size with wireless cams.

[*] Continuing for sake of the plot, lets just say that the video control system IS networked, because head of security likes to remotely log in to monitor activity.... that's your attack vector. 1 network enabled server, that is capable of pulling up video feeds, this is in reality how it would work.. why do I know this, because I've set these up and run them for a previous employer.

[*] It's likely that the system is a DVR system now, at least, upgraded from tape sometime in 2005 or so. So this is the guy you're going to need to hack. https://www.samsung-security.com/en/products/Security-Network-Systems/video-management-software/Smart%20Viewer%20306.aspx. Along with this guy, doing the work, https://www.samsung-security.com/products/Security-Network-Systems/NetworkVideoRecorders/64-Channel-Network-Video-Recorder/SRN-4000.aspx

[*] Here's some tech spec on a similar system - http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Remote-Camera-Monitoring-s/285.htm

Now for the other angle, " He also wants to piggy-back new, hidden cameras in sensitive areas onto the existing system." No. And for a lot of reasons; a chance the video will be seen live and someone will be like, I don't remember a camera being there. Chance a sysadmin will see the additional IP, additional traffic and wonder what's up.

Your best bet here is to have him use his office as a wireless access point for hidden wireless IP cams he installs covertly. So, lets call your guy "jack". Jack sets up Jack's Wifi in his office - because a WAP will be seen if anyone is looking for access points. It's got basic WEP and KEY. That wouldn't be very suspicious. So he can use that as C&C (command and control) for his covert wireless ipcam network. He could also use a computer with a NIC and a wireless NIC as a server in his office.. it's connected to the IP Cam network AND it is connected to the building's internet, from which he has gained access to the remote DVR. Now for some fun... using VNC or RDP or TeamView, something... and Google Glass! He connects his glasses on Jack's WiFi to the machine in his office, where he can pull up camera feeds from both the building security AND from his covert IP Cams.

ta-da... that's how I've done it.. i mean, would do it.. if I were a spy, which I am not.. please destroy this message after reading.

-- Thu May 22, 2014 4:55 pm --

Instead of google glass you could get the guy one of these..

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atheer-one-what-it-feels-like-to-have-superpowers

https://atheerlabs.com/

In fact I think I'm going to get myself one. I think I just wet myself.. these are freaking awesome..
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Return to NZone