wifi

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

wifi

Post by lunfardo88 on Wed May 14, 2014 3:39 pm
([msg=80697]see wifi[/msg])

someone sent me a link which is the following, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdQkGWMSlLE, the problem is that when im about to finish installing kali linux it abruptly gives me an error message saying that something went wrong therefore the installation failed but doesnt tell me what went wrong specifically! how can i go about troubleshooting and determining what is the root or underlying issue here that doesnt allow the installation to finish installing correctly? i can only suspect that it might be a setting but dont know if its actually within kali linux or something on my end? maybe avg antivirus, windows defender antispyware or some kind of windows firewall but have no clue where to even start let alone much less determine or troubleshoot for that matter! can someone please help me? anyone? thank you.
lunfardo88
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: wifi

Post by limdis on Wed May 14, 2014 6:02 pm
([msg=80698]see Re: wifi[/msg])

Ugh. I made it 45 seconds into that video then skipped ahead and saw a bunch of bullshit... I'm going to assume you're setting up the vm incorrectly. Without forcing everyone to watch that garbage what steps did you take to setup the virtual machine just prior to getting the kali installation in full swing?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by lunfardo88 on Thu May 15, 2014 10:32 pm
([msg=80739]see Re: wifi[/msg])

well, what makes you assume that the vm box was not installed correctly on my end? i only followed the steps given in the video because what originally happened was that i bought a wifidecoder online and it came with backtrack but the guy who sent me the video said that backtrack was outdated and that kali linux was like a younger cousin to backtrack 5 i believe. they were inadvertently related in some distant way. the steps i took to setup the virtual machines are self explanatory, everything i followed was within the video. i was following instructions because when i bought wifidecoder it came with two discs which im sorry but i not only not understand but just plain confused me! it seems that backtrack 5 at a mínimum is for technically inclined people who have SOME knowledge of what theyre doing! thats not the case with me! everything was going fine until like when it reached 97 or 98% that the installation just abruptly said that it couldnt install correctly completely but didnt give details as to what caused the installation to malfunction? i bought my antenna with the software from wifidecoder.com there is another site called wifisniper.com but dont know if thats even more complicated than wifidecoder.com???? some technical stuff has me at a loss for words! rsvp.
lunfardo88
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Fri May 16, 2014 5:18 pm
([msg=80759]see Re: wifi[/msg])

I'll try to say this as friendly as possible. It's a good idea to add punctuation and capital letters to your sentences, which will make it more easily readable. That aside, of course are both Kali and Backtrack created for at least a bit knowledgeable people. The idea is to learn how something works before using a tool to do it. Once you understand the first, the second is second nature before you've even touched the tool.

Of course I'm assuming you understand enough about Linux to work with the CLI and usual tools. This community doesn't take kindly to people who don't want to learn and just press a button to hack something without knowing what happened and no motivation to find that out. For now I'm not going to say you are part of that group of people, but if you are, don't expect help here.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by limdis on Fri May 16, 2014 7:31 pm
([msg=80766]see Re: wifi[/msg])

Alright I didn't respond right away because I didn't want to run you off with my initial response. First, the reason your installation is failing is very likely due to either the VM not being configured properly OR the image is bad and you need to redownload kali. Personally, I don't like to use VMs if I don't have to. It's a strain on your machine and things can go wrong entirely unrelated to testing environment hindering your testing progress. I suggest using it as a live cd. Either from another partition or from a thumbdrive. But that's just my personal preference.

Next. Kali Linux is not a younger distant cousin of Backtrack. It is quite literally the upgraded version of Backtrack. Offensive Security designed both. Backtrack was discontinued because Kali is several times over better.

Moving on. You bought a "wifidecoder". I've seen packages like this many times in many places and you got robbed. At best you got a somewhat decent wifi adapter for likely 3x it's standalone cost. The software packages (unless custom made) are free. Even if they are custom made the packages that come preinstalled with Kali are more than enough to get the job done (excluding reaver, I don't think that comes preinstalled yet). The video you linked is absolute garbage. Word of advice, if the very first thing you see in a video is someone stating how lazy they are to make a decent video then stop watching it immediately. He spends over half the video just downloading... 15 min too long of useless talking. When he finally goes to setup the VM he is second guessing himself and hesitates. If you cannot explain what you are doing to a child, you don't need to be making video tutorials.

Now, by now I'm sure I've irritated you a bit. But let me clear here. Wireless hacking is a specialty of mine. I've spent the past few years spending nearly all my time on it. I am more than willing to spend days with someone who is really trying to learn. However, I refuse to waste time on someone who can't google how to at least get Kali installed. If your first set of instructions (that video) doesn't work, then do your research and find out what is wrong. I don't know everything and I'm far from the greatest out there. But I wouldn't know how to do what I know how to do by giving up after watching 1 low quality video and giving up.

Come back once you get set up. Your first step is addressing this issue:

it seems that backtrack 5 at a mínimum is for technically inclined people who have SOME knowledge of what theyre doing! thats not the case with me!

http://www.kali.org/
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by cyberdrain on Sat May 17, 2014 6:41 pm
([msg=80796]see Re: wifi[/msg])

limdis wrote:excluding reaver, I don't think that comes preinstalled yet

Sorry limdis, in my current image I'm almost certain it came preinstalled. I don't think it ever wasn't part of Kali. In Backtrack, if it ever was part of the preinstalled image, it certainly wasn't until it was almost end of life.

Edit: added a source
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Return to NZone