Hacking over Wifi

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Hacking over Wifi

Post by ZephyrMTF on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 pm
([msg=79761]see Hacking over Wifi[/msg])

Hello everyone, I just recently joined this site and forum, so forgive me if what Im asking is obvious.

Is it possible to hack into someone's computer and completely take it over if you are on the same wifi network?
I see people getting more and more interested in making sure their routers are password protected, and I was
wondering if this is just because they don't want others freeloading off the internet they paid for or taking up
bandwidth, or if there was a serious security issue involved.
ZephyrMTF
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hacking over Wifi

Post by d1str0 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 pm
([msg=79763]see Re: Hacking over Wifi[/msg])

It's not as easy as it sounds although being on the inside of someone's network definitely makes things easier. I suggest you learn more about networking and check out metasploit. I also highly suggest Kevin Mitnick's book "Ghost in the Wires" to get a more realistic look into hacking.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.

You may also know me as fas
d1str0
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 pm
([msg=79765]see Re: Hacking over Wifi[/msg])

ZephyrMTF wrote:Is it possible to hack into someone's computer and completely take it over if you are on the same wifi network?

Absolutely
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:59 pm
([msg=79775]see Re: Hacking over Wifi[/msg])

Other issues besides access to the computer is access to shared files, shared printers, other services available and as you said shared Internet. And that's just without hacking into anything if the Wifi isn't protected.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Return to NZone