Impunity?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Impunity?

Post by nativemythos on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:51 am
([msg=79550]see Impunity?[/msg])

Hello all, I'm a Computer Information Systems major. I'm new to this site and this community. I have a question regarding impunity and pen-testing, if anyone would care to reply. Surprisingly the answer to my question hasn't been covered in any of my courses and I haven't found a clear answer online. Does anyone know what legal implications prohibit or deter people from targeting foreign web-sites / asp's for pen-testing? I ask this because it is common knowledge that many clients/users from other countries sit safely in internet cafe's within say Uganda and target client's in the US without fear of legal recourse. Is this reciprocal in any manner, not in regards to Uganda specifically, but all foreign countries. Is there less inherent risk of someone knocking down my door if say I check for vulnerabilities outside of the US, maybe .fj (Fiji) domains per say.
nativemythos
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Impunity?

Post by Tentra on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:32 am
([msg=79551]see Re: Impunity?[/msg])

At the very least, you'd probably be in violation of your ISP's Terms of Service.

I am not a lawyer, however, I believe what you describe is prohibited by the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986. See http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030#a_6 for more information.

The government won't give a shit who you're attacking. If you are attacking someone, they will definitely attempt to prosecute you. The real question, however, is if they can determine that you are attacking someone, whether it be foreign or domestic. Usually, for small time stuff like what you're describing, the victim would have to report the source of the attack to the attackers ISP, which is trivial.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Re: Impunity?

Post by nativemythos on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:38 am
([msg=79552]see Re: Impunity?[/msg])

Thank you for your reply and for the link provided.
nativemythos
New User
New User

Return to NZone