Python Beginner Tutorial

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Python Beginner Tutorial

Post by -Unicod3- on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:58 am
([msg=77672]see Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

Hey Everyone

I've been a long time lurker of HTS but only just decided to join in on the forums.
I've been programming for 9 or so year now, and I'm also Cisco CCNA qualified.

As I have noticed that a lot of new members are told to learn python, I put together a beginner Python series on Youtube for those who like video tutorials rather than reading.
Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1A2CSdiySGIJ47_tj4kUyqP_bxWRP40X

If you have learned any other programming languages I promise you will be up and running in python in a little over an hour.

Hope to join in and contribute to the community after the plethora of stuff I have leaned from you all.
Little by little, one travels far” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
-Unicod3-
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Python Beginner Tutorial

Post by centip3de on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:23 pm
([msg=77679]see Re: Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

Nicely done! I'm positive this will help more people than just those in our community.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Amazingred on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:36 pm
([msg=77681]see Re: Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

I use python a friggen lot. Most of those are really really good tools and lessons. I wish I had that treasure trove when i was first starting. Would have saved me a lot of lines of extra unneeded coding.

Only one comment. I personally think list comprehension, Getting data from webpages (i.e. screen scraping etc), and User Auth for website login/cookie persistance should be learned in detail VERY early in the python learning experience. Those three were the biggest topics I wish I could have found more help on at the time and also the ones I used the very most.

Once again +1 for the tutorial. Its probably the best python vid tut collection I've seen.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by -Unicod3- on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 pm
([msg=77685]see Re: Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

Thanks! I hope it helps people!

I'm currently writing scripts(video scripts, not code) for some Hacking with pyhton tutorials.
perhaps one of the topics should be on website grabbing. It definately is a usefull tool!.
-Unicod3-
New User
New User

Post by Amazingred on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:35 pm
([msg=77686]see Re: Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

Yup it is. BeautifulSoup and Mechanize and/or Urllib2 (depending on the task i'm doing) are in nearly everything I use python for.

Actually I've created my own lil setup with python by making a new module (i called it "redsbrowser" hehe) that copies and loads cookies and session data from firefox to the python script. So whatever sites I'm currently logged into with firefox, usually (settings dependant) are auto-auth in python. The module automatically returns a mechanize browser, urllib2.opener and loads the cookiejar with the cookies. I didn't want to have to deal with entering in pass/user or storing it somewhere and retrieving it. Then changed my preferences in pyscripter so that every time i open a new blank script the default code to start off with is this:

Code: Select all
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Name:        .-.-.-.-
# Purpose:     ...
# Author:      AmazingRed
# Created:     10/15/2013 1:30:47 PM
# Licence:     Free for all just kredit me if you use my code....
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
import redsbrowser

def main(cj, br, opener):
     pass

if __name__ == '__main__':
    opener, br, cj=redsbrowser.redsbrowser()
    main(cj, br, opener)
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by -Unicod3- on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 am
([msg=77695]see Re: Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

oh nice work!

Yeah I've got plans for coving beautifulsoup and mechinize, I'll also be doing some forensic tutorials, for taking SQLite data from stuff like skype, firefox etc, maybe some things for GPS location data stored in all sorts of meta data etc.

I'm hoping i can upload a bunch of interesting and friendly content to help the next generation aswell and people who are curious on expanding their skills :)

if there is any specific topics you think would be great to post, let me know! sometimes things i think are easy to find info on, others find incredibly hard.
-Unicod3-
New User
New User

Post by Amazingred on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 am
([msg=77696]see Re: Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

Well if you need any research help let me know. I've currently got a library of digital copies of more than 25000 programing texts and cheatsheets, and a few hundred tutorials as well. (don't ask....I have such a collection because of another little side project of mine that has been ongoing for almost 3 months now lol)

If you're looking for something specific I can prolly shortcut the carpel-google syndrome a bit.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by -Unicod3- on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 pm
([msg=78318]see Re: Python Beginner Tutorial[/msg])

Hey Guys & Girls, didn't want to make a new thread but i just finished my Intermediate Python Series Yesterday. So for those of you who liked of found help from my beginner series Hopefully this one is of some help too!

Topics covered are :
-Classes
-Methods
-Inheritance
-Iterators & Generators
- Modulating your code.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... -O5NO6roRl

Also there is a some other videos on my channel for writing brute force tools and a basic port scanner.
I'll try to get more out asap, but works getting pretty busy this time of year.
-Unicod3-
New User
New User

Return to NZone