To those of us just starting out!

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

To those of us just starting out!

Post by UnCiviliz3d on Thu May 09, 2013 5:06 am
([msg=75509]see To those of us just starting out![/msg])

Hello Everyone
My name is Unciviliz3d. Right now I'm in the same spot as a lot of you are in the Nzone just getting ready for that long journey about learning to hack. I know it's difficult because a lot of the people in Hackthissite are busy with their own projects and are not able to reply to your every question or need, and there isn't that very many pages for people just starting out. Believe me you can search Google all you want but you have to really search it if you want to get the right info out of all the quick guides on hacking where it tells you to download something and now all of a sudden you’re a hacker.
It's hard just starting out when there’s so much out there. Believe me I still feel overwhelmed about all of this but I’m not going to quit on a dream I've had for the longest time and neither should you. Well I’ll just get to the point instead of you having to read about me going on and on. My suggestion is that those of you that are really determined and want to learn everything you can but having trouble starting is join me. Why do this all on your own because there are so many of us starting out why not help each other. Heck we all have the same goal in mind so why not help one another achieve it. If we all share the information we find and help one another with this then I know for a fact it'll be easier for you. The phrase two heads are better than one. Well if we all help each other then the phrase isn't just a phrase it's a meaning. If interested in what I said just message me on my account.
Last edited by UnCiviliz3d on Thu May 09, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnCiviliz3d
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: To those of us just starting out!

Post by lucky 0xD on Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 am
([msg=75510]see Re: To those of us just starting out![/msg])

The main problem being that everyone's 'journey' is different. Hacking to me is not the same as it is to you. I might be a hacker for 20 years and never go near a website, you might go those same 20 years without ever soldering something to something else etc. etc. etc. My motivations are very likely different to yours and the range of skill sets is truly vast.
This is partly why no one can tell you how to be a hacker. why not define exactly what you're looking to achieve and you may get more bites from like minded people. But you probably wont. Its a difficult thing to work alongside someone else, particularly whilst you are both starting out, you will learn at a different pace, different things will spark your interests and take you in different directions. You will distract one another.
My opinion (and that's all it is) is that you are better off going it alone and when you run into specific problems, start a discussion.
If you truly want your 'journey' (i fucking hate that) to be of help to others why not start a blog where you detail your mission statement, obstacles, how you overcame them, things your learned, resources you used etc that other beginners can draw inspiration from and maybe kick start some discourse?

good luck though, whatever happens.
lucky 0xD
New User
New User

Post by lemureye on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:13 am
([msg=76235]see Re: To those of us just starting out![/msg])

UnCiviliz3d

I am 100% with you brother!!1 Let's do it. While I am not a TOTAL n00b I would like to work with you (and others) but if it's just us lets do it!!

Lemureye
lemureye
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm
([msg=76238]see Re: To those of us just starting out![/msg])

Hmm, I wish you all could have attended the lecture I gave yesterday. It was perfect for those of you starting out, though the topic was network security. However, it was lacking terribly, so I'd have to work on it quite a bit.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brutal_hacker on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:34 pm
([msg=76243]see Re: To those of us just starting out![/msg])

hellow533 wrote:Hmm, I wish you all could have attended the lecture I gave yesterday. It was perfect for those of you starting out, though the topic was network security. However, it was lacking terribly, so I'd have to work on it quite a bit.

Is there a text version we can read up on it would be interested to see your views.

TO the op:

I remember when I was 13 I first got into hacking ( Even tho I had been fixing pc's and playing games from an early age) I wasn't the average hacker I took a programming approach and learnt how to code ( viruses etc ) and then from there looked into network security and then website security. Now I am going down full on pen testing as I feel its the most fun as it covers a wide range of things you can do.

What I suggest you do is to indeed work it alone but refer and communicate within this community. I would not recommend working side by side with someone as they may or may not lead you down a path you wish not to take. Take university's for example: Take a security course and they will flood you with a million different paths you can take a lot of the stuff you learn you will probbaly never touch again (depends what course you go on).

For anyone starting off you just need to follow these simple steps:

1.Duel boot or use multiple pc's - The more operating systems the more testing / experience with these system you will recieve. Make sure you pick at least windows and linux (ubuntu to start with most user friendly) mac is a grey area for me but for you, you may love it.

2.Learn a programming language and get decoding programs/code - It doesn't matter which language you pick up as its the fundamental of this your aiming for. Your wanting to learn how processes work and how computers call on data that's stored and how they do it. I don't recommend learning assembly I tried that in college and man it was boring, but yet again its personal preference I started on C and then went to VB and so on. You may want to learn PHP/HTML/SQL or C# and Java.

3.Try out some forms of hacking work through some of the missions see what you like best. Its great to have a large skill set as not everything is straight forward and may require you to do a fair few things to get a result.

4. Once you have decided which path to take why not take up an online course or study at a university but do your research and make sure they really are dedicated to your field of work.

5. Set up your own practice environments with your own vulnerabilities for you to test. could always take a look at hack.me but I have only just been on there a handful of times.

6. Read read read and read - Sign up to some security websites and read up on vulnerabilities test your skills see what your capable of. There are plenty of books out there on hacking and certain types of hacking.

Above all - I tell all new people to hacking and im going to tell you. Know your place, know that there is someone out there that is always better than you and remember always remember to question yourself "is this right" do not break the law - The person whose better than you will catch you its only a matter of time.

Online tools are ok, I only use a few but only ones I know are safe and are required for my skill set. I always ask permission before I poke around. Do not join hacking groups unless they are a community like this dedicated to hardening servers not bringing them down and exploiting them for personal gain.

Sorry I rant a bit but Good luck and if you need some direction just let me know what your into and I can try to give you some advice.
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to NZone