Question About Languages

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Question About Languages

Post by UnCiviliz3d on Tue May 07, 2013 3:41 am
([msg=75489]see Question About Languages[/msg])

I've been reading up on computer languages for a while because I'm trying to get my foot in the door, an was wanting to know which languages would be a great starting point. I know that HTML, Css, JavaScript, and jQuery are mainly used for web pages. I guess the main thing I'm looking to get answered is what are the Most common computer languages used for, and whats object-oriented programming, Procedure programming, Data oriented languages, and Embeddable languages. I'm not looking for someone to spoon feed me the answer just point me to the spot where I can read about the questions I have, and actually be able to understand what I'm reading because I can barely write HTML.
UnCiviliz3d
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Question About Languages

Post by pretentious on Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 am
([msg=75495]see Re: Question About Languages[/msg])

UnCiviliz3d wrote:I've been reading up on computer languages for a while because I'm trying to get my foot in the door, an was wanting to know which languages would be a great starting point. I know that HTML, Css, JavaScript, and jQuery are mainly used for web pages. I guess the main thing I'm looking to get answered is what are the Most common computer languages used for

I think the most popular languages are general purpose ones eg, C/C++ Java http://visual.ly/most-popular-programming-languages-2013 and i'm not totally wrong! 8-)
they're not really optimised for anything specific and that's probably why they're popular. I love playing with perl but it's been designed for a specific purpose and i wouldn't use it to design most things that i do, thus i don't use it much.
UnCiviliz3d wrote:and whats object-oriented programming, Procedure programming, Data oriented languages, and Embeddable languages

I had a short and simple answer for object orientated v procedural but i'm currently working on an assignment in c using structs and stuff to simulate oop in a sense and i'm kinda second guessing myself on it haha
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 pm
([msg=75496]see Re: Question About Languages[/msg])

UnCiviliz3d wrote:I've been reading up on computer languages for a while because I'm trying to get my foot in the door, an was wanting to know which languages would be a great starting point. I know that HTML, Css, JavaScript, and jQuery are mainly used for web pages. I guess the main thing I'm looking to get answered is what are the Most common computer languages used for, and whats object-oriented programming, Procedure programming, Data oriented languages, and Embeddable languages. I'm not looking for someone to spoon feed me the answer just point me to the spot where I can read about the questions I have, and actually be able to understand what I'm reading because I can barely write HTML.

Most common language?: For web-programming, it's probably Javascript. For general programming, it's probably C++ or Java.

OOP: Object-oriented programming is a style of programming oriented to the use of objects (duh). This means that it uses classes, objects, polymorphism, inheritance, and other things like that. Java, Javascript, C++.

Procedural Programming/Imperative programming: Where you primarily focus on subs, routines, functions, and methods to accomplish a task. Examples: C, C++, Fortran.

Data-oriented languages: All about formatting, reading, writing, and manipulating data. They're really good at doing that. Examples: SQL, WebDNA, WebQL, etc.

Embeddedable language: A language that's designed to be used within free-form text, usually a webpage. Examples: PHP, LaTex, etc.

Side-note: All of your questions could be answered easily by the use of Google-fu.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by brutal_hacker on Tue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm
([msg=75497]see Re: Question About Languages[/msg])

Want to get your foot in the door in programming learn app based programming like Java Android developement it is by far the best way to get your foot in the door because you just go to an interview with your apps and its an on the spot decision no messing around. Or you can still learn all variations of C as they are all well paid jobs.
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue May 07, 2013 5:41 pm
([msg=75499]see Re: Question About Languages[/msg])

brutal_hacker wrote:Want to get your foot in the door in programming learn app based programming like Java Android developement it is by far the best way to get your foot in the door because you just go to an interview with your apps and its an on the spot decision no messing around. Or you can still learn all variations of C as they are all well paid jobs.

I would have to argue that what you stated, is not the best way to start learning.
You should take steps and make sure you are understanding what you are working with, before tackling a big situation like android app development. Especially, when he stated that he can barely code HTML, which is probably thousands of times easier to code.

If you are looking into web-development, a good site to learn from is http://www.codecademy.com/
If you are looking for something more general, as cent said, C++ and Java, and I will add in Python, because it can handle a lot of things very well itself.
You can learn all of these languages except for C++ from the link above.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to NZone