Alternatives to John?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Alternatives to John?

Post by TheWard3n on Sat May 04, 2013 9:07 am
([msg=75472]see Alternatives to John?[/msg])

Fellow HTS members,

I was wondering what alternative to John The Ripper ('John' on Linux) you'd suggest. I'm running Ubuntu.

In Ubuntu 12.10, some bug causes John to not work correctly.

Some of the Realistis missions here on HTS require the use of password/hash cracking tools, and many suggest to use John. I could install it on windows, but it's frustrating to re-boot, and I'd rather stick to Ubuntu.

I know there are many alternatives, but I don't know which one would be considered viable/efficient.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Regards, happy hacking.
TheWard3n
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Alternatives to John?

Post by pretentious on Sat May 04, 2013 9:47 am
([msg=75475]see Re: Alternatives to John?[/msg])

I've actually never used john but i assume it's a generic command line cracker so an alternative i can think of is hashcat. I'm sure there are more but that's off the top of my head

-- Sun May 05, 2013 1:52 am --

so i actually read your post, I don't see why any crackers wouldn't be efficient. There is a mission with a specific encryption format, so i'm not too sure about that one but general hashes just require brute forcing, which any cracker can do
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat May 04, 2013 11:55 am
([msg=75476]see Re: Alternatives to John?[/msg])

TheWard3n wrote:Fellow HTS members,

I was wondering what alternative to John The Ripper ('John' on Linux) you'd suggest. I'm running Ubuntu.

In Ubuntu 12.10, some bug causes John to not work correctly.

Some of the Realistis missions here on HTS require the use of password/hash cracking tools, and many suggest to use John. I could install it on windows, but it's frustrating to re-boot, and I'd rather stick to Ubuntu.

I know there are many alternatives, but I don't know which one would be considered viable/efficient.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Regards, happy hacking.

Well first thing is first, JTR should work perfectly in Ubuntu.
Secondly, if you must go grab either a BT5/Kali iso file, and run it in a VM, as it will come pre-installed.
Third, Hashcat is better than JTR imo, and is the only other tool really worth mentioning.
Finally, if you want to crack some MD5's, it is going to come down to having a good dictionary, opposed to whether you are using JTR or Hashcat, all they will do (for the most part, but not 100%) is change the rate of how fast the MD5's are being compared. If you try running a dictionary attack with a terrible dictionary, you will not get very far.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by brutal_hacker on Sat May 04, 2013 1:14 pm
([msg=75478]see Re: Alternatives to John?[/msg])

Since the beginning of time people have had problems with JTR especially on linux there are forums full of Q and A's on this. I tried it on 4 distros it only worked on backtrack that's down to the fact its pre installed. Every other method was saying its found the key but the key was always wrong. The whole shadow and unshadow process as well.

I got it working on windows easily no problems on that one but thats windows and for me I found it to run alot slower.

Like previously mentioned wether it works or not is all about your wordlist. Crap wordlist = you aint getting anywhere.

You can try Cain and Abel works for MD4 MD5 etc or you can actually google the hash you have found actually does work sometimes lol. Or use an online one or whatever anyone else thinks.

Good luck..
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sat May 04, 2013 9:54 pm
([msg=75480]see Re: Alternatives to John?[/msg])

1.) Use this.
2.) ???
3.) PROFIT!
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone