I'm new...help!

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

I'm new...help!

Post by 57V53Na on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 pm
([msg=75300]see I'm new...help![/msg])

Hi guys,

I have recently gotten interested in hacking. After a lot of debate and setting rules and ethics for myself, I decided to register in this site. I am COMPLETLY new to this and I don't know where to begin. Can anyone help me start? I need to learn from the start (I don't even know the basics!). I'm really just trying this to see if I like it or not. I'd appreciate it if people wouldn't post rude comments about how I know nothing and why am I doing this. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? :D So, basically, how does a complete beginner like me learn the absolute basics of hacking? Oh, and I know I can look it up in websites. I'm asking WHICH websites are useful ;) .

Thanks,
57V53Na

#help
57V53Na
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I'm new...help!

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm
([msg=75302]see Re: I'm new...help![/msg])

Hi, and welcome to HTS. It's a good place to start off with the missions and forums. First, the most important site you will need is google. Google whatever interests you and take it from there. Secondly, we get a lot of these posts and one of our currently active members (Ninjex) started a good thread for beginners to get started out. Here's the thread: https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=9726 . Use the forums to ask specific questions as they arise and also check the search feature as many of your questions may have already been asked. Good luck.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by 57V53Na on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm
([msg=75311]see Re: I'm new...help![/msg])

Thanks so much! :)
57V53Na
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:19 pm
([msg=75325]see Re: I'm new...help![/msg])

np
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by brinks56 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 am
([msg=75346]see Re: I'm new...help![/msg])

I just started getting into penetration and privilege escalation at school. Learning how to operate in a linux terminal and trying out the different flavors of linux was the first thing I did when I got interested. Learning the basics on ipSec is also important depending on what you are doing. Keep in mind that I am also fairly new at this, so take my advice for what it is worth. This is the route I have taken so far to begin understand what I am doing.

If you want links to the specific resources I have used and been given by my professor, let me know.
brinks56
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:54 pm
([msg=75362]see Re: I'm new...help![/msg])

brinks56 +1
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to NZone