First Post

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

First Post

Post by UnCiviliz3d on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 am
([msg=75076]see First Post[/msg])

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post regarding the topic of where to begin I know this question is asked everyday or so. Everywhere I read it says that I should begin with Web Fundamentals first by learning Html, Css, JavaScript, and later on learn more. I was just wondering what I'll be able to do when I do have these languages down. My goal with all of this is today first master or be Okay with Web security being able to override the serves or such would be a dream. I just don't see a reason why I would need to do this. I guess the main thing i'm questioning so much is what would I benefit from learning these things.
P.S. If anyone has a great source or website where I can learn those web languages would much appreciate it!
UnCiviliz3d
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: First Post

Post by sordidarchetype on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 am
([msg=75077]see Re: First Post[/msg])

The point (what you will benefit)is the ability to master the skills you seek.
Here's a quick example... you probably won't be able to pick a lock without knowing how a tumbler works. The same applies here. If you want to know how to bypass security, you have to understand how that security applies to the technologies it is implemented with.

The bottom line is, you are not going to be able to "override the serves or such" without learning these things.

-- Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 am --

UnCiviliz3d wrote: P.S. If anyone has a great source or website where I can learn those web languages would much appreciate it!

You can try this as a starting point:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/
sordidarchetype
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 pm
([msg=75078]see Re: First Post[/msg])

Spreading knowledge just once a day, can help keep the script kiddies away ⠠⠵
no_hope if world.map{|person, ic = 0| ic +=1 if ignorance.include?(person)}.compact.length > (world.length / 2)
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm
([msg=75079]see Re: First Post[/msg])

UnCiviliz3d wrote:Hello Everyone,
This is my first post regarding the topic of where to begin I know this question is asked everyday or so. Everywhere I read it says that I should begin with Web Fundamentals first by learning Html, Css, JavaScript, and later on learn more. I was just wondering what I'll be able to do when I do have these languages down. My goal with all of this is today first master or be Okay with Web security being able to override the serves or such would be a dream. I just don't see a reason why I would need to do this. I guess the main thing i'm questioning so much is what would I benefit from learning these things.
P.S. If anyone has a great source or website where I can learn those web languages would much appreciate it!

As to the first question:
If you want to exploit anything in life, you have to have at least a basic understanding of how it all works. If you want to be a crazy ass lawyer and exploit the laws like it's nobodies business, you have to be able to read, and understand the law to at the very minimum, a basic level. The same applies to hacking. Because hacking is built off of programming, you need to understand how each component is working together to show you what you understand as a website. Then, after you understand all that, you learn it's weaknesses, it's bottle necks, it's fault points, and you can exploit them. You cannot go the other way around, however. You can't learn all the weaknesses first and expect to be semi-decent because you'll have no true understanding of the material. You won't know why that weakness is how it is, how to fix (or exploit) it, and what to do once you've done that.

As to the second question:
Everyone else has given you pretty decent answers here, I'd suggest you go with those.

Side note:
If you don't have the patience or ability to learn how to program, you don't have the patience or ability to learn how to hack.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to NZone