I'm tired of being a script kiddie. I need advice.

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

I'm tired of being a script kiddie. I need advice.

Post by bluesteel649 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:13 am
([msg=74857]see I'm tired of being a script kiddie. I need advice.[/msg])

The title says it all. For the past five or so years, since i was eleven, i have been depending heavily on script that did all the hacking for me.frankly, I have had enough of it, i feel like a complete idiot for thinking i was remotely a proper hacker all these years and finally realizing that all i am really doing is clicking on a couple of buttons. I want to learn to become a proper hacker and leave the script for good.

This is where my issue sets in, there is so much information on the Internet, i dont know any reliable sources of information that i can learn properly from. Are there any good websites, books, etc which i can learn the absolute basics from? I know a little bit of HTML but that is all that i have.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
bluesteel649
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I'm tired of being a script kiddie. I need advice.

Post by centip3de on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm
([msg=74861]see Re: I'm tired of being a script kiddie. I need advice.[/msg])

bluesteel649 wrote:The title says it all. For the past five or so years, since i was eleven, i have been depending heavily on script that did all the hacking for me.frankly, I have had enough of it, i feel like a complete idiot for thinking i was remotely a proper hacker all these years and finally realizing that all i am really doing is clicking on a couple of buttons. I want to learn to become a proper hacker and leave the script for good.

This is where my issue sets in, there is so much information on the Internet, i dont know any reliable sources of information that i can learn properly from. Are there any good websites, books, etc which i can learn the absolute basics from? I know a little bit of HTML but that is all that i have.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Good on you for wanting to improve yourself, lots of script kiddies like to pretend that they're hackers forever. Now, on to the question:

Go through the missions. Each one will pose a specific challenge that will help expand your knowledge of computers, how they work and how to exploit them. Not only that, but they tell you what you need to know in-order to pass them, so if you ever get stuck, Google is just a few keystrokes away. After you've finished them, I'd suggest starting to learn programming more in-depth. If you want to continue hacking over the web, the basics of the OSI model, Python/Perl, PHP, and Javascript are absolutely necessary. If you'd like to branch off and start hacking locally (reverse engineering and such), the basics behind computer theory, a good debugger, Assembly language, C/C++, and probably Python are absolutely necessary. If you ever get too stuck on something, or need help, the vast majority of the experienced users on this forum, or on IRC can either help you personally, or point you to someone/somewhere that you can find help.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to NZone