need help with getting my foot in the door

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

need help with getting my foot in the door

Post by krona64 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:12 am
([msg=74631]see need help with getting my foot in the door[/msg])

I'm looking for some helpful input on, basically where i should start. The problem is I don't have a small selection of things I would like to learn because well if I could I would like to learn it all. I'm intrigued by a lot of things within the tech world but I get discourage easily because I cant seem to figure out where to start or what I need to start with. I was hoping to get pointed in somewhat of a direction.

Some of the things that intrigue me most is hearing stories of people hacking into networks, websites, creating viruses, etc. etc.(basically anything that's deemed illegal for the most part.) webpage/app design, creating programs, etc, etc.... This sparks me to want to learn how "hackers" manage to accomplish these things. Not that i have any intentions on doing such things but i would like to know how its done and understand it or a majority of it.

So i have ideas of what i need to learn but not sure what i should start off with first. I assume a few obvious things to learn would be a computer language, Linux, anonymity, networks and so fourth..... but I start to get lost and discourage when digging deeper into matters.

Things like network security, data encryption, app/web creation and design, languages, servers, how the internet works (like packet and protocol wise) how to access serves/networks. I look at all this stuff and there is a lot to it and i realize a lot of people specify generally in one field or a select couple but i would like to learn about it all in significant detail for the most part and then the things i need to know more of or want to know more of i can guess you would say specialize in. (theoretically speaking)

I was hoping maybe someone could point in me a direction as to what to learn first. (i know Linux is a must)
or if there was any kind of like ladder sequence to help guide me. Maybe you have links to useful information that could help me.. anything would be greatly appreciated...

I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand or explain the subject matter to me.
Just looking to a helpful push in a good general direction to learn these things and links to useful information, or suggested books that would be worth time and money to read.

thanks in advance
krona64
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: need help with getting my foot in the door

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 am
([msg=74633]see Re: need help with getting my foot in the door[/msg])

krona64 wrote:So i have ideas of what i need to learn but not sure what i should start off with first. I assume a few obvious things to learn would be a computer language, Linux, anonymity, networks and so fourth..... but I start to get lost and discourage when digging deeper into matters.

Do not ever get discouraged. When becoming a hacker, you really need to sort of develop a mentality and persona of leadership characteristics. Becoming discouraged when learning new things is not a good thing. I could understand if you don't like the information, but if it's a lot to take in, break it down piece by piece before ingesting it. Discouragement, in my opinion does not show traits of a hacker.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=9726
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to NZone