Question about the attitude in my solved basic-mission-6

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Question about the attitude in my solved basic-mission-6

Post by JediZavv on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:04 pm
([msg=65561]see Question about the attitude in my solved basic-mission-6[/msg])

Greeting folks,

For the basic mission 6, it requires you to used the encrypted password and the encrypt engine to find the decrypted password;
I solved the problem, but I'm not sure whether my attitude/approach is the right way,
so I want some opinion/review/advice...

What I did was:
I keep typing simple word pattern into the encrypt engine and try to find a relationship between the input and output;
so it's like a blind action, I've no idea would I find anything just by doing so;
for this mission, the encryption method is very simple, so I did figure out its algorithm, but
what about more complicated method?? since you don't have access (can't see) the encryption method,
how is it even possible to just blind figuring the behavior of an encryption process??

so, my question is:
if blind-figuring encryption behavior is the correct attitude for now, does it mean that for more complicated encryption, we need to use skills in Linear Algebra or Cryptography?
JediZavv
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Question about the attitude in my solved basic-mission-6

Post by mShred on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:02 am
([msg=65673]see Re: Question about the attitude in my solved basic-mission-6[/msg])

This is a great way to solve basic 6. In fact, it was how I solved it. The algorithm wasn't at all obvious to me back then. This is a technique called blackboxing. It's where someone continuously enters data into a script to see how it responds, and then uses that information to figure shit out. It's a big technique used with SQL injection. For this mission, there would be no obvious way to what is happening with the algorithm, so I'd say you did a good job.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to NZone