Basic Mission 9

Bad threads go here

Re: Basic Mission 9

Post by blackprince491 on Fri May 30, 2008 6:03 am
([msg=3699]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

ya 9 kicked my ass for the longest time
“If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always."
blackprince491
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by w-hamra1987 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:12 am
([msg=3868]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

never expected it to work that way. it took me 15 minutes to solve it, to 10!
w-hamra1987
New User
New User

Post by rex_hacker on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:58 pm
([msg=3973]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

who ever came up with the hint to use ../ (twice) is stupid... thats not how to do it... they give you all you need in the question... thanks for waisting my time :mrgreen:
rex_hacker
New User
New User

Post by Shoeguy2369 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:15 am
([msg=3994]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

rex_hacker has the best advice, everything you need is there. ../ (twice) just throws you off.

Thanks ! finally got it.
Shoeguy2369
New User
New User

Post by winxptk on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:27 am
([msg=3998]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Easyer then 8 only a noob would forget so fast read my article in 8
winxptk
New User
New User

Post by AdvertAngel on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27 am
([msg=4090]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Hi, I still cant figure out where to input the command, can anyone pm me on it ? thanks alot
AdvertAngel
New User
New User

Post by bebacksoon on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:47 am
([msg=4252]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Hello,

I am stumped! I have done question 1 - 8. But this has me beat. I don't understand were you put the codes in? You only have the url, the password box, and the html source. I have read up on ssi, I have read up on unxi directories like the clues suggest.

I've got nothing that helps.

I am asking for were you are meant to put the codes.
bebacksoon
New User
New User

Post by Neverwinterx on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:11 am
([msg=4262]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

So i solved this one. However aren't the hints incorrect? What i entered is not going to match '<!--' followed by "#exec cmd="ls"-->" or "#exec cmd="ls /home/xec96/public_html/missions/basic/8/"-->"
Neverwinterx
New User
New User

Post by Rustam777 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:53 am
([msg=4268]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Firstly, to answer everyone's questions about where to input code, there is a big clue on the second paragraph:
'In the last level, however, in my attempt to limit people to using server side includes to display the directory listing to level 8 only, I have mistakenly screwed up somewhere.. there is a way to get the obscured level 9 password. See if you can figure out how...'

I can't seem to put in anything that isn't blocked by the filter though. I've read the whole topic and keep seeing people say 'its to do with ../ twice' but when I put in -removed- the filter blocks me. Where am I going wrong?

You're very close.. Don't post what you're using though because cheaters will just copy and paste your legwork.
Rustam777
New User
New User

Post by bebacksoon on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:39 am
([msg=4348]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

The problem with this whole process to learn to hack, is that I am not grounded in programming I find I am learning some codes, then making leaps of faith, and hardly ever understanding why things work the way they do. I have answered levels 1 - 8 pretty well. But this question continues to stump me.

I understand (I hope) we have to use the script in level 8 to put codes in, to find the password file for level 9. However as we all have to be cryptic with our answers on this forum you never really know until it works.

I'm just not sure i am learning this way, or just that I know how to cut and paste with out ever really getting why things work the way they do. I mean sometimes we look at the source codes, then other times we are doing java injections into the urls, and then again we can use unix, or ssi commands and now it looks like we do both. But why?? And in question 9's case why the hell would we go back to another questions script to try and gain info for a new question When in life does that happen?

Anyone else feeling a bit tired from overthinking. I feel like i am making guesses about guesses some times.

Has anyone come across some great tutorial sites that are not just about providing bits of codes, but actually explain why things work the way they do? Love to hear about it. I have seen one recommended on this site, but maybe we need to get a few more listed on here to help train newbies like me. And before i get shot down for whinning, remember oh great masters of the hack, who set this site up to train a new breed of wanna be masters.... training should be fun, not balding!

Bebacksoon.

PS Completed it now as well. I could of sworn I tried that exact command earlier and it didn't work! Talk about being precise!!!
Last edited by bebacksoon on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bebacksoon
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Graveyard