When is one a "Hacker"?

Bad threads go here

When is one a "Hacker"?

Post by 1c3-c01d on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:53 am
([msg=53488]see When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

(Just to put things to the side, I am aware of my post count and what my alias may stereotype me as, deal with it.)

I am somewhat new to the community, but I've done simple, lame things before. (Packet sniffing, mostly.)
What level would I have to be at to proclaim myself "Hacker"? This comes into consideration due to there being stereotypes. (Such as, "Skiddie")

(ALSO, I LOVE BRACKETS.)
1c3-c01d
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: When is one a "Hacker"?

Post by Default3d on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:25 am
([msg=53489]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

The way I see it, hacking isn't a title or a style. It isn't something you are. It's not about how many missions you've completed or how many posts you have. It's a mind set, the way you look at the world and the web. It's how you use what you have, and get what you want. It's having the tools you need, locked away in your head. Knowing how to test, exploit and execute anything you can wrap your head around. I'm thinking when I can hack I'm a hacker. As it stands now, I'm just a user.
Default3d
New User
New User

Post by mutantsrus on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:49 am
([msg=53491]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

Don't you mean you love parenthesis not brackets?

Also you may want to read this:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
mutantsrus
New User
New User

Post by Default3d on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:07 am
([msg=53493]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

mutantsrus wrote:
Also you may want to read this:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Intense. I don't know about 1c3, but I'm digging the link.
Default3d
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:41 am
([msg=53497]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

First of all, I don't believe in titles. I don't know why, but western people have the urge to call themselves something. That's the reason why most people claim that the hacker movement and the open source movement is originated from America... but that's not true. There were hackers way before, in europe and asia, it's just that they didn't feel the urge to tag themselves with pity titles.
That being said, I only call someone a hacker if he/she is a real professional in a field (not nesseserally in computer science), and he/she is very creative in it.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 am
([msg=53499]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

I like how ESR explains it in his essay:

ESR wrote:Q: How do I tell if I am already a hacker?

A: Ask yourself the following three questions:
  • Do you speak code, fluently?
  • Do you identify with the goals and values of the hacker community?
  • Has a well-established member of the hacker community ever called you a hacker?

I'm not saying this is a definitive list, or that you must satisfy 100% of some set of attributes, but this is a nice gauge.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:54 pm
([msg=54028]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

1c3-c01d wrote:(Just to put things to the side, I am aware of my post count and what my alias may stereotype me as, deal with it.)

Fair enough :)
1c3-c01d wrote:I am somewhat new to the community, but I've done simple, lame things before. (Packet sniffing, mostly.)
What level would I have to be at to proclaim myself "Hacker"? This comes into consideration due to there being stereotypes. (Such as, "Skiddie")

Personally, I think "hacker" is an attitude, but public opinion would tell you otherwise.
(i also love parentheses)
When ever I'm on a computer in a public place, I'm always bored because i reckon if i did anything i find interesting, people would get suspicious.
(possibly on topic(depends on how you look at it(I even nest mine)))
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hellow533 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 pm
([msg=54029]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

As far as I am concerned, if you can hack into the pentagon and steal 2 billion dollars to fund your hello kitty collection then you are a hacker.. If you can delete everything in the HLS database, you are a hacker. Finding Google's IP address or getting admin access to a lame ass site nobody uses is not being a true hacker. That is why I'm not a hacker, I'm just good with computers.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:09 pm
([msg=54031]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:As far as I am concerned, if you can hack into the pentagon and steal 2 billion dollars to fund your hello kitty collection then you are a hacker.. If you can delete everything in the HLS database, you are a hacker. Finding Google's IP address or getting admin access to a lame ass site nobody uses is not being a true hacker. That is why I'm not a hacker, I'm just good with computers.

So if i do something really hard core and risk prosecution? or is your interpretation based on difficulty?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Phantom Wolf on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:23 pm
([msg=54032]see Re: When is one a "Hacker"?[/msg])

Why does it matter?

Okay, so, I like to do things with computers. I've taken a real shine to networking lately, I've set up two networks in my house for no apparent reason. I've done a lot of the missions here. I've done things with my computer that most people didn't even know was possible. Does that make me a hacker? Yes? No?

I also like working with cattle. It's my job, and has been for as long as I can remember. I'm good at it, between me and my dad we take care of over 300 pairs. Does that make a cowboy? Oh, but wait, I don't wear a cowboy hat. I don't carry around a revolver. And I absolutely suck at roping things.

Shakespeare wrote:A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet

Oh, and by the way, Google's answer. Guess I really am a hacker.
Last edited by Phantom Wolf on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Graveyard