Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB

Bad threads go here

Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:34 pm
([msg=50111]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

fabianhjr wrote:Just link everyone there. Optionally encode the destination with base64. Anyone watching your wall and potentially stalking you would pass trough the logger. You can more info if you please; read the manual.

1st. Not everyone will click the link, especially any "stalker."
2nd. The IP... whoop dee doo, you use a geoIP site and find out somewhere within 20 miles someone visited the link, that narrows it down to everyone minus far away relatives... x/
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by thetan on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:21 am
([msg=50118]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

Back in the day you could do this shit on myspace. It would involve writing a fairly simple algorithm that matched IP/UAs to the timings of comments on your page to make an educated guess on who was viewing your page .... only it was fairly trivial though because myspace let you directly embed HTML ( oh all the xss bugs a 15 yr old Thetan found at the time <3 )
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 am
([msg=50122]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

Haha, yeah, MySpace was one fail of a security attempt, if ever attempted. xD

Unfortunately Facebook is pretty locked up.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by fabianhjr on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:21 am
([msg=50128]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

I am quite sure you could also serve images and append them to your message.
Code: Select all
header("Content-type: image/$imagetype");
@readfile("My/pic.jpg");

Then you just embed it and boom! You get everyone's referrer.

I remember someone here is doing it with his signature.

-- Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:25 am --

fashizzlepop, it is you!
http://66.93.224.121/pub/
It is HTSCount. Download the source and host it.
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by msbachman on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 am
([msg=50130]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote: Still, most likely Facebook doesn't have any records regarding this. And yes, the courts aren't going to be interested in someone who looks at someones Facebook page, regardless of a retraining order, etc...

This guide seems to imply otherwise.

Otherwise, I agree with you; facebook won't give out the info, even if they have it, unless you could get a subpoena. good luck in this case, lol.

First of all, any "stalker" (should one even be checking your Facebook) will most likely not follow any links you post. Just sayin'.

If they were seriously disturbed, I bet they would, given enticing enough bait. E.g. 'hey guys, check out my personal site'.

the refferer logger would be pointless unless you have the same script for multiple places, ie. Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I thought at the time I wrote that that the referrer could track the page from which the post came--thought it might work if they clicked on it from their main 'wall', but that assumes they're friends with the target. Lol, my goof.

Thanks for fact checking my post; admittedly, I wrote it a bit too quickly before work.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:15 am
([msg=50207]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

msbachman wrote:This guide seems to imply otherwise.

Otherwise, I agree with you; facebook won't give out the info, even if they have it, unless you could get a subpoena. good luck in this case, lol.

That "guide" is 2 years old and does not imply it keeps track of every IP that visits a Profile page. If the person was stupid enough to continuously check out the page WHILE LOGGED IN then maybe.

If they were seriously disturbed, I bet they would, given enticing enough bait. E.g. 'hey guys, check out my personal site'.
But still, what are you going to figure out with the information you collect?
:)
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by msbachman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:02 am
([msg=50232]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote: But still, what are you going to figure out with the information you collect?
:)

Not much but it's a piece of info you wouldn't otherwise have. It's a stretch but a person might have a website hosted with PII on it.

Also, it might be something to go on if something else happened, like someone tries to attack you irl. Turn whatever info you have over to the police and maybe they could find cause to actually get a subpoena.

I'm not claiming this is a great idea, but it's the best thing I could think of that would even have a chance at getting a 'facebook stalker' without a subpoena.

That "guide" is 2 years old and does not imply it keeps track of every IP that visits a Profile page.

I don't think it's out of the question to think that facebook might keep this data. I'd think they'd mine every piece of data they could, don't you?

That said, you could be totally right; idk. I was just throwing an idea out there.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xRobin3x3x on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:38 am
([msg=50523]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

is there a better code then that, i am having the same type thing going on another site where i want to know who's been poking around.
World peace.
xRobin3x3x
New User
New User

Post by Fascination on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 pm
([msg=50606]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

Well don't know what else can be said but otherwise these are the bare facts.

First off, no one is gonna break into facebook to view logs or whatever way facebook keeps track of things for you. This is extrememly difficult and a huge risk.

I am gonna assume your one of those people that add everyone on facebook that sends them a request. The best way which has been said is to put your facebook profile setting to max protection and also take a look at your friends. Don't just add people whos name you recognize.

In all honesty just be more protective of your information, and not so willing to add people on facebook.
Fascination
New User
New User

Post by AnubisTheJackle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 pm
([msg=54728]see Re: Tracking who's viewing my profile on FB[/msg])

fabianhjr wrote:
Code: Select all
<?php
isset($_GET['r']) ? header("Location: ".$_GET['r]) : header("Location: http://google.com");
$file = fopen("log.txt", 'a');
$info = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$info .= '\n'.isset($_GET['r']) ? $_GET['r'] : "Google";
$info .= '\n\n';
fwrite($file, $info);
fclose($file);
?>

Just link everyone there. Optionally encode the destination with base64. Anyone watching your wall and potentially stalking you would pass trough the logger. You can more info if you please; read the manual.

Focusing strictly on the code posted, I have to say that wont work. header will be run and you will be redirected before any of the logging code is run. Move the first line to the last line and you've got a better chance of it giving you the info you're looking for.

As for the thread itself, I have to agree with pretty much everyone who's spoken...if you're worried about stalkers, get off facebook. If you want to know who is viewing your profile, build your own social networking site, and add that functionality to it.
AnubisTheJackle
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Graveyard