VMware vs. Dual-Boot

Bad threads go here

VMware vs. Dual-Boot

Post by mitt3ns on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:04 pm
([msg=49273]see VMware vs. Dual-Boot[/msg])

Ello HTS forums!

I've recently got back into my computing mode after a long break, returning to get a jump start to my double major CSE (computer science & engineering) and CIS degree in college.

Right now I have two hard drives in my computer, a 160g and 80g (ATA each). While I have the 160g partitioned to run Windows and Ubuntu (yeah... but it's a start to actually learn Linux this time), I use the 80g purely for misc files such as music/videos/etc.

I'm wondering if maybe I should completely wipe the 160 of Windows and resize it for Ubuntu? And maybe just use VMware or something of the sort to run Windows inside of it, instead of having to re-boot everytime I need to make the switch?

Or should I maybe just place each OS on a separate drive? (Still would have to re-boot for each OS switch).

I -do- do some gaming (very, very occasionally) on the side, which is why I seem to keep Windows on hand. Along with the times that I do need to try out a program that will only run on Windows (rather have it on the OS native to it than running Wine). I will be using Windows for C++ programming in my upcoming classes I believe, so it just seems right to be using it for a programming environment, or at least be able to compile and run programs on it that maybe I have written while using Ubuntu. (?) Though I also suppose this lack of gaming ability would nearly be the best choice as it would keep me steered clear of that distraction.

- Seems like the separate drive for media is just a waste, as copying/deleting/in general just dealing with it for files seems to be more of a nuisance than anything at this point.

I have quite a few questions and would love some input on how I should go about fixing up my computer just right! Thank you for your help!

- Mitt3ns
Stay foolish. Stay hungry. - Steve Jobs (LOL)
mitt3ns
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: VMware vs. Dual-Boot

Post by Goatboy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:13 pm
([msg=49277]see Re: VMware vs. Dual-Boot[/msg])

It really comes down to your hardware. If you have a higher-end system that is capable of running it, I'd go with the VM. It's just a lot nicer being able to basically run them side-by-side at the same time. Another benefit is that you can take a snapshot of Windows should anything go wrong. If your hardware isn't up to the task, I'd say dual-booting is the best best.

Another thing to consider is how often you will use them. I personally dual-boot because my hardware can't handle a VM (sad, I know), but I've found that I'm usually in a "mode" for one operating system or another, and I don't need to do a lot of switching. If I'm working in one class, I use Windows. Another class will use Linux. The only time I need to switch is when there's an OS-specific program that cygwin/WINE just can't get right, or I'm testing something related to one OS.

What I'd like to do eventually is get a higher-end laptop and run KVM as essentially a bare-metal hypervisor, then just have Windows and Linux running truly side-by-side at the same time.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by thetan on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:20 pm
([msg=49288]see Re: VMware vs. Dual-Boot[/msg])

You can always do both.

As in dual boot and boot the other partition via virtual box so you have the two independent OSs in two independent partitions running side by side.

check it out: http://mesbalivernes.blogspot.com/2008/ ... sting.html
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Chunkie on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:37 am
([msg=54836]see Re: VMware vs. Dual-Boot[/msg])

I heard someone said that it dosen't work to setup your wifi card with "BackTrack 4 R2" on wmware.

Is it true, have someone tested it?
Chunkie
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:43 am
([msg=54837]see Re: VMware vs. Dual-Boot[/msg])

Chunkie wrote:I heard someone said that it dosen't work to setup your wifi card with "BackTrack 4 R2" on wmware.

Is it true, have someone tested it?

I heard someone say that hijacking a thread is a bad thing.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to Graveyard