Best web browsers

Bad threads go here

Best web browsers

Post by armywatts1 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 am
([msg=28358]see Best web browsers[/msg])

I personally use Google chrome web browser, but after reading an article out of a magazine I read all the time. I may just switch to Firefox
The fallowing is the Acid3 test results. Acid3 tests the ability of a web browser to render correct coding on a web page

Opera 100/10
Safari 100/100
Firefox 93/100
Chrome 79/100
IE8 20/100

I knew IE sucked but come on. only 20/100? Now that's just pathetic.
Although Opera and Safari render a few more codes better the Firefox does, Firefox out does all the browsers in add-ons in my opinion. What's everyone elses opinion on these statements?
Watts

Information was gathered from "MAXIMUMPC" special issue Fall 2009 pg. 65-72
armywatts1
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Best web browsers

Post by thedotmaster on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:58 pm
([msg=28378]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

These stats have changed now. Chrome always had 100/100 (I think, at least it does now anyway). Firefox 3.5 I *think* is 100/100 too.
Internet Explorer is lucky to get 20. They entirely ignore the Web Consortium recommendations and do things their way.
Personally I use firefox only but as soon as Chrome comes out for Linux, I will get that too as a secondary browser (just for reading stuff, not using addons etc).
I wouldn't pick Opera or Safari because they aren't (entirely) open-source.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by godofcereal on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:18 pm
([msg=28383]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

FF 3.5 had a bug that didnt allow many users to view some sites. And 3.51 seems oddly slow and freezes alot for me, havent tried 3.52 yet.
I like safari and opera the best. Il wait and see IE and FF mobile versions.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by armywatts1 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:45 pm
([msg=28387]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

I hadn't tested the browsers myself. I just read a very long article on all the browsers I listed. Sorry for the inaccurate information, it's what was wrote in the magazine I sourced in my first post.

I use chrome because I hate all the toolbars and chrome is a simple browser, that's what I like. If I need to do certain missions I will definitely use Firefox. I also like chromes incognito mode. I hear Firefox has a similar mode also, just haven't used it yet.

Watts
armywatts1
New User
New User

Post by tgoe on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:26 am
([msg=28402]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

Acid testing will remain a pissing contest until IE plays ball or goes away.

I use Opera as my main browser. It's smaller, faster and has better implementations of the features I want. Choosing a browser because it's open-source seems strange to me; you're using it to run basically closed-source web apps :?
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedotmaster on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 pm
([msg=28404]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

tgoe wrote:Acid testing will remain a pissing contest until IE plays ball or goes away.

I use Opera as my main browser. It's smaller, faster and has better implementations of the features I want. Choosing a browser because it's open-source seems strange to me; you're using it to run basically closed-source web apps :?

Of course it isn't strange - an open-source app is a more secure app (in general, this isn't necessarily true but in most cases it is). I try, where possible, only to use open source.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:05 pm
([msg=28426]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:FF 3.5 had a bug that didnt allow many users to view some sites. And 3.51 seems oddly slow and freezes alot for me, havent tried 3.52 yet.
I like safari and opera the best. Il wait and see IE and FF mobile versions.

3.51 also seemed kinda buggy for me, however I've updated to 3.52 and a lot of that has gone away.

I personally use Firefox because it's clean, simple, and uncluttered, while having a huge addon library. I've used Opera and as far as page-loading goes, they are pretty evenly matched, I just prefer the flexibility of firefox.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by thedotmaster on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:06 am
([msg=28444]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:3.51 also seemed kinda buggy for me, however I've updated to 3.52 and a lot of that has gone away.

I personally use Firefox because it's clean, simple, and uncluttered, while having a huge addon library. I've used Opera and as far as page-loading goes, they are pretty evenly matched, I just prefer the flexibility of firefox.

It was beta, wasn't it?
There was bound to be bugs anyway, it used the new JavaScript engine.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tedhead2 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm
([msg=28558]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

I like firefox! I use firefox 3.5.3(I'm a beta tester) and it has NO bugs! And it is So fast. I will never go to IE or safari! :D :D
BASIC: 1, 2, 3, 4 5, 7, 10
Realistic: None
App: 1, 2
Javascrip: 1, 2
Extbasic: None
Stego: None
IRC(IRS?): None
tedhead2
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:45 pm
([msg=28560]see Re: Best web browsers[/msg])

For now I'm a Firefox fan as well. I can't stand IE and I don't care for Safari. I haven't tried Chrome yet and have only used Opera Mini on my cell phone, which was ok.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Graveyard