WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits

Bad threads go here

WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits

Post by Cyber_Specter on Mon May 25, 2009 5:54 am
([msg=24338]see WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

I am curious about all of the bandwidth limits being put in place by schools and neighbors and businesses across the world.

Mainly I am interested in how one might get around these small measures. with the network connection already in place there must be a possibility of hacking the machine itself, and changing the settings but that would be unethical and illegal.
So.... to get the ball rolling let us say we are dealing with a neighbor or small businesses. They have installed no security and have limited bandwidth for outside WiFi users.
We know they are running a later version of windows (I.E. xp/vista) and it is a linksys variation network setup. once again no security whatsoever.

Where would one go from here to get through such bandwidth limitations.

This is for learning and security purposes only and I in no way condone illegally hacking someones computer (read above) to achieve such goals I am simply curious about how hypothetically it would be possible.
Cyber_Specter
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits

Post by AtlasDark on Mon May 25, 2009 7:07 am
([msg=24350]see Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

If it's hardware, there's pretty much nothing you can do about it (or if it's regulated by the distributor via a grid or network, then the same still applies); if it's softwareside (eg content monitoring and central management systems), such may be circumvented.

We can't discuss doing so in great depth, however, since this does regard tampering with serverside functions and evading policy.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Mon May 25, 2009 11:31 am
([msg=24388]see Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

I'm pretty sure the only way would be to gain access to whatever is causing this restriction in the first place and simply change it, which would certainly fall under your "unethical and illegal" description.

I don't know much about how these things work, but I'm assuming they work on an IP level. So, maybe changing your IP address would do it.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Cyber_Specter on Tue May 26, 2009 1:46 am
([msg=24424]see Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

Ok Lets explore the idea that it works on an ip basis...

If I made the software i would make it so that only ip addresses i allow would have full bandwidth
therefore changing my ip address wouldn't work but what do we think of identifying their ip address and changing mine to theirs?

interesting idea no?

lets hear some thoughts on how we could do that.
Cyber_Specter
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Tue May 26, 2009 11:57 am
([msg=24445]see Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

You'd have to map the network out, and assume that computers closest to 192.168.2.2 (for example), are most likely the computers that have full access. Then, you would have to find some way to get that computer to disconnect from the network, or wait until the business closes, and assume that they will turn off all their computers, or at least that one.

After that, you would probably have to assign yourself a static-IP that matches the IP of the computer with full access. However, they would probably notice that one of their computers is only getting limited bandwidth now, since (Assuming they are using DHCP) the computer that had 192.168.2.2 would now be 192.168.2.3 and so on.

However, I believe that this software would probably first check IP Addresses, then MAC Addresses, and maybe have a verification type thing with each device that connects to the network. Depending on how serious this software is, it could be a walk in the park to get around it, or a serious project. Either way, it's interesting to discuss it :D
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Cyber_Specter on Wed May 27, 2009 12:46 am
([msg=24470]see Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

Well that pretty much wraps that up thanks alot

is their anything we've failed to mention
Cyber_Specter
New User
New User

Post by wbilt on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:42 pm
([msg=61622]see Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

At the company I work at, we use for the most part Ruckus Wireless Equipment for the direct 2.4ghz wifi, and Motorola Canopy for the PTP links to residential and commercial, other then Bridgewave and Cielo for our core links. You can use the arp command, different iPhone apps, or nmap to get the mac address of the AP you connect to, and then look it up on google. Ruckus uses a zone director, which is basically a monitoring system for all the access points that you have connected to it. It supports port 22(ssh), as well as port 80(http). The zone director does the quality of service (QoS) which limits the bandwidth for the upload, download and bursts. All you have to do is gain access to the ZD through SSH or the web interface. As of right now, they don't have a login attempt limit or monitor for the web interface, but they may introduce one in the near future. SSH only gives you 3 attempts, but there's workarounds for that :lol: Most ISP's use root or admin as the username for everything except core stuff.

Motorola Canopy uses a web interface, too, which doesn't monitor or a limit. It will either have no un/password, un is root, or un is admin. When you get access to the it has a QoS tab under configuration that you can up. Most wireless ISP's that puts radios on your roof uses Motorola because they're pretty cheap and very reliable.

You can also limit the QoS in switches(dell and cisco that I know of). SSH or telnet to them to change the settings.
wbilt
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:49 pm
([msg=61624]see Re: WIFI Getting around bandwidth limits[/msg])

An over two year old necro, that has to be some sort of record.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Graveyard