WEP Keys

Bad threads go here

WEP Keys

Post by Sikvaruli on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:49 pm
([msg=14578]see WEP Keys[/msg])

This is something I've never been able to figure. I hear it's simple, but I don't quite understand. How does one find out your WEP key to access your internet? I want to know this so I can learn to prevent it from happening to me. What is involved in doing it and what can I do to protect myself from it? Is it hard? Thanks :D
I want to learn how to hack/bypass: .bat file restrictions, bypass administration restriction, and how to hack websites.

"Sikvaruli" is Georgian for "Love"
Sikvaruli; სიყვარული :D
Sikvaruli
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: WEP Keys

Post by Stratagem on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:57 am
([msg=14647]see Re: WEP Keys[/msg])

The problem with WEP is that the implementation of its cipher is broken. Without getting too technical, if enough traffic is going over the network, part of the key gets duplicated every so often. With enough duplicate keys, you can reconstruct the entire key very quickly–usually a matter of minutes with publicly available programs like Kismet, KisMAC, and aircrack-ng.

The way to protect against this is to not use WEP. Instead, use at least WPA, which is much harder to crack, and choose a secure password.
Stratagem
New User
New User

Post by Israel on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:50 pm
([msg=14768]see Re: WEP Keys[/msg])

WPA can be busted too. Best thing to do if you don't want to get hacked is don't use the internet. Other than that you could use WPA. I've even seen WPA mixed with AES encryption but its SLOW. You could mangle your packets too with something like iptables. That's probably a better defense than heavy encryption.
Israel
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by alchemydragon on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:05 am
([msg=14806]see Re: WEP Keys[/msg])

Here this video might help you to learn a little about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl672fq_dfY
alchemydragon
New User
New User

Post by acantho on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:56 pm
([msg=38037]see Re: WEP Keys[/msg])

Couple of things you can do, some wont protect you but will make a hacker think that it will probably be more bother than it's worth - might just spur others on!

Set your router not to braodcast the SSID
Enable MAC filtering, then a=only the MACs that are approved can access the router - I believe there are scripts to get around this.
Only allow say 4 comps to be conected at a time, the number should be the amount of comps that access your router that you are allowing.
But the 2nd best advice has already been given use WPA instead of WEP
the best advice - don't use wireless !
acantho
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DamegedSpy on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:14 pm
([msg=38056]see Re: WEP Keys[/msg])

Die! Die! Die! let this thread die! This is almost 2 years old!
Stop rising the dead.
/me grabs shotgun and empties it on the thread.
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Return to Graveyard