http://www.rhetoricalcatch.blogspot.com
IncandescentLight
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Maths rocks

Post by Ntvu on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 pm
([msg=4633]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

Yeah, I like math too. This year I'm not really doing that well in Geometry (talking B+ grades) than I used to, but that's because it's geometry. Once I go back to algebra II it'll be better again.

And not everyone understands math. People like me are good at math, but some people are not good at math; maybe they are good at other things?
Ntvu
Poster
Poster

Post by heyheyhack on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:21 am
([msg=5336]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

;) i like maths a lot actually, when i first started secondary school my fear of maths was too big to fit in the class room, :mrgreen: but now i have finished school and have completed my maths gcse's i feel a lot more confident in my maths knowledge :P and i already know that i have a B grade in my maths coursework, when considering in year 7 my maths was so jeuvonile that i wasnt even on the grading scale :? , so within the space of 5 years i have gone from 0 to a predicted B 8-) , so yh overall maths is cool and i really enjoy it.
HeYhEyHaCk
heyheyhack
New User
New User

Post by Sonic7145 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:24 pm
([msg=5431]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

Ntvu wrote:Yeah, I like math too. This year I'm not really doing that well in Geometry (talking B+ grades) than I used to, but that's because it's geometry. Once I go back to algebra II it'll be better again.

And not everyone understands math. People like me are good at math, but some people are not good at math; maybe they are good at other things?

Proofs... *shudder*
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Post by OneArrow on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:14 pm
([msg=5470]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

Sonic7145 wrote:Proofs... *shudder*

Ew.

I had the misfortune of being forced to take a course in data structures & algorithms without any knowledge of discrete mathematics first. Needless to say, I had trouble proving what was intuitively correct. :s But I do have a new-found appreciation for the algorithms and the logic they're grounded in now.
OneArrow
Poster
Poster

Post by yourmysin on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 pm
([msg=5619]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

Everyone ew's at proofs, but why?

Throughout life you have to learn to backup your own opinion. If you believe the area of a square is equal to w^2, whereas w is the side length you must prove it. 'By definition of a square we can conclude that the area is length X width. Also by definition of a square the length and width are equal. Thus, we are simply multiplying length by length.'
A+, Network+, MCTS(70-620), Security+, CCNA
yourmysin
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Sonic7145 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:43 pm
([msg=5697]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

Those weren't the sort of proofs I was talking about. There's some real tedious ones I've had to do that literally had no purpose at all. :P
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Post by OneArrow on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:53 am
([msg=5720]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

yourmysin wrote:Everyone ew's at proofs, but why?

Mostly because I was rushed through learning it. I just don't feel the same connection with that knowledge, that it ever really "clicked" the way everything else did. I strongly agree that we should be able to back up our arguments and understand why it works instead of just relying on the fact that it does. Unfortunately, the college basically said "if you want to graduate and get into our Masters program next semester, you're on your own - given your record, I'm sure you'll do fine." I mean, I still finished with a B+, and a fair understanding of how those proofs work, but only after several late nights a week. I know I could have done a lot better given the opportunity. Maybe I'll audit the course and its prereq in the next year and a half.
OneArrow
Poster
Poster

Post by yourmysin on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:56 pm
([msg=5747]see Re: Maths rocks[/msg])

Yeah Sonic, we had a section in geometry about proofs. At first they are a bit tedious but they become useful soon after.
A+, Network+, MCTS(70-620), Security+, CCNA
yourmysin
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Math & Science