Understated?

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Understated?

Post by Lacrimo on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:25 pm
([msg=28178]see Understated?[/msg])

Doesn't anyone else feel that the whole hacker mentality the site is about should put more focus onto the sciences, math and engineering in computers and other electronic systems? I've seen plenty talking about the workings of Javascript and cryptography, but very little about binary math and transistors. If you know much about it, I'm calling you out to put up some more content on the engineering and math that powers our PCs and servers.
Lacrimo
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Understated?

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:41 am
([msg=28185]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

Because quite frankly half the people on here don't know much.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Possumdude0 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:19 pm
([msg=29143]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:Because quite frankly half the people on here don't know much.

Shouldn't that be an incentive for the half that do know something to teach the other half?
Posts on the subjects of religion or morality are from a Christian's perspective

Posts on the subject of programming are from a coder's perspective

Posts on the subject of hacking are from a noob's perspective

Please phrase your responses accordingly
Possumdude0
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:34 pm
([msg=29144]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

Sorry, math has nothing to do with computer programming or hacking. It's the biggest misconception there is.

At the most you need to know geometry and algebra...but it rarely requires an in-depth knowledge of calculus.

In addition, engineering is useful for physically tampering with items, but not over-the-web. A better bet would be to understand all the various protocols for transmitting data, and how they work, and thus be able to find a flaw in them.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by godofcereal on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 pm
([msg=29147]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

I wish we had abit more science chats here every so often, a nice debate would do a world of good for us. Bit of chemistry and physics would be nice. Granted I only do physics.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:52 pm
([msg=29148]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Sorry, math has nothing to do with computer programming or hacking.

Then you obviously don't know what hacking is. You can hack maths.
And yes, it often has a lot to do with computer programming. Think algorithm design, graphics, etc.

Besides, maths is fun and interesting - so it has a place here. On the other hand, religion does not deserve a place in these forums - in my opinion.

Possumdude0 wrote:Shouldn't that be an incentive for the half that do know something to teach the other half?

No, that should be an incentive for the half that don't know a thing to use their brains and go and learn.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Spe-edS on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:33 pm
([msg=29151]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:In addition, engineering is useful for physically tampering with items, but not over-the-web.

not true. engineering is more than hands on work. it requires a different mindset and problem solving abilities which can be useful in solving any problem/challenge.
-Special Needs
Spe-edS
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:34 pm
([msg=29152]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

Spe-edS wrote:not true. engineering is more than hands on work. it requires a different mindset and problem solving abilities which can be useful in solving any problem/challenge.

Quite so.
Software engineering.
Social engineering.
etc.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Possumdude0 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 am
([msg=29210]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:No, that should be an incentive for the half that don't know a thing to use their brains and go and learn.

Doesn't learning involve listening to people who are more knowledgeable on the subject and understanding them? I'm not saying it is the responsibility of the people here to teach this stuff, or even that it should be their responsibility, I'm just saying that it is reasonable to assume that a person who is interested in learning about these subjects might find this site, with so many people who are knowledgeable and interested, and hope to learn some things here.

When I said it should be an incentive, I was speaking from my own personal point of view. When I'm knowledgeable in a subject, and I come across someone who wants to be knowledgeable about that subject, then I feel inclined to teach them what I know about that subject.
Posts on the subjects of religion or morality are from a Christian's perspective

Posts on the subject of programming are from a coder's perspective

Posts on the subject of hacking are from a noob's perspective

Please phrase your responses accordingly
Possumdude0
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by eljonto on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:32 am
([msg=29214]see Re: Understated?[/msg])

Possumdude0 wrote:Doesn't learning involve listening to people who are more knowledgeable on the subject and understanding them? I'm not saying it is the responsibility of the people here to teach this stuff, or even that it should be their responsibility, I'm just saying that it is reasonable to assume that a person who is interested in learning about these subjects might find this site, with so many people who are knowledgeable and interested, and hope to learn some things here.

When I said it should be an incentive, I was speaking from my own personal point of view. When I'm knowledgeable in a subject, and I come across someone who wants to be knowledgeable about that subject, then I feel inclined to teach them what I know about that subject.

Yes it does, and yes the more knowledgable should teach the less knowledgeable and moreso the less knowledgable should also put more effort into learning themselves, it's a two way street.

I would also like to see more math / engineering stuff on here, i think it would be a nice and worthwhile edition.

thedotmaster wrote:On the other hand, religion does not deserve a place in these forums - in my opinion

finally someone said it ;)
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Next

Return to Math & Science