Genetic Superiority true-false?(Edited)

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Genetic Superiority true-false?(Edited)

Post by eMpTy89 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:25 pm
([msg=18611]see Genetic Superiority true-false?(Edited)[/msg])

deleted
Last edited by eMpTy89 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Man is something that is to be
surpassed. What have ye done to surpass man?-Friedrich Nietzsche "Thus spoke Zarathustra"
eMpTy89
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?

Post by TheMindRapist on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:30 pm
([msg=18612]see Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?[/msg])

eMpTy89 wrote:This great question, three hundred years ago i would have been burned on a stake for asking this, but have we made enough progress to answer it? Are we born with fix capacities and potential limit, or can we evolve in our life time?

The definition of evolution is changes from one generation to the next, so no we cannot evolve in our lifetime.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eMpTy89 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:01 pm
([msg=18615]see Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?[/msg])

TheMindRapist wrote:
eMpTy89 wrote:This great question, three hundred years ago i would have been burned on a stake for asking this, but have we made enough progress to answer it? Are we born with fix capacities and potential limit, or can we evolve in our life time?

The definition of evolution is changes from one generation to the next, so no we cannot evolve in our lifetime.

I also believe that, but if it as become so easy to answer it, how come so many things in this world are not adapted to this fact? like schools, many genius flunk out of school, is it so simple as society being filled in majority with idiots defending their possibility of living a life witch is beyond their level of merit? like the economical crisis, if school where designed to actually determined the extent of each individuals capacities such problem would not occur...but you probably know that...
Man is something that is to be
surpassed. What have ye done to surpass man?-Friedrich Nietzsche "Thus spoke Zarathustra"
eMpTy89
New User
New User

Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?(Edited)

Post by xorot on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:18 pm
([msg=20105]see Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?(Edited)[/msg])

"guns, germs and steel" by jared diamond might be interesting for you
xorot
New User
New User

Post by tomthecool on Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:03 pm
([msg=20153]see Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?(Edited)[/msg])

eMpTy89 wrote:Are we born with fix capacities and potential limit, or can we evolve in our life time?

Of course there must be some limit on our capacities, but no one has (or will) ever reach it. So while some of us may be quicker learners than others, or better at different areas of learning, we will never know our "limit" because no one knows what it is!

As for evolution within our lifetime, this is a meaningless thing to say. That is not what evolution is about. Your children will not even be born with a higher mental ability as a result of you working hard at school either; this is not how evolution works!
So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here...
tomthecool
New User
New User

Post by Agent Pugsly on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 pm
([msg=20204]see Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?(Edited)[/msg])

I've got a theoretical over-the-counter gene therapy treatment coming through field trials right NOW that says you are WRONG about that, buster!
Agent Pugsly
New User
New User

Post by vladiftodi on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm
([msg=22824]see Re: Genetic Superiority true-false?[/msg])

TheMindRapist wrote:

yes we can they are just relatively (extremely) small genetical changes but still evolution :)
Ever heard about using radiation to cause random mutations in bacteria or mushrooms and see the effect of their evolution :)
yes evolution is defined on the (very) long term but we evolve during our lifetime
(even though you may tell me that the genotype doesnt change during our lifetime only the phenotype and therefore we dont evolve i would stay that you are wrong sir it changes but slightly and almost ignorable on the large scale yet still important for the evolution :) )
vladiftodi
New User
New User

Return to Math & Science