Real Life Imaginary numbers

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Real Life Imaginary numbers

Post by 4pathia on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:25 am
([msg=74982]see Real Life Imaginary numbers[/msg])

Hello forum menbers,
I'm learning Algebra II this year which is a lot of hard work for concepts that seem too abstract to have any usage in the modern world. A lot of my classmates and I have a difficult time seeing why we should learn something such as imaginary and complex numbers. So, I'm asking if there is any real world application or reason why imaginary numbers should be learned by everyone in my grade.
4pathia
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Real Life Imaginary numbers

Post by DrRoach on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 am
([msg=74985]see Re: Real Life Imaginary numbers[/msg])

My memory is a little sketchy on this as all I know about imaginary numbers is what I saw on a tv show a few years ago but they are extremely important although they don't seem it. They are used to calculate things that we don't know the value of and one of the examples I saw was for airplane tracking (or something like that). From what I can remember control towers don't have a clue where planes are when they're in the sky, the only way they can work it out is by using an imaginary number in a complex mathematical equation to work out where they are. They are also used a lot in quantum mechanics because in that field there are a lot of numbers that scientists do not yet know. Even though this information may not be completely accurate I hope it helps you understand why imaginary numbers are so important.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm
([msg=74989]see Re: Real Life Imaginary numbers[/msg])

4pathia wrote:Hello forum menbers,
I'm learning Algebra II this year which is a lot of hard work for concepts that seem too abstract to have any usage in the modern world. A lot of my classmates and I have a difficult time seeing why we should learn something such as imaginary and complex numbers. So, I'm asking if there is any real world application or reason why imaginary numbers should be learned by everyone in my grade.

Did you bother to look it up on Wikipedia? It explains it all there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_ ... ry_numbers
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by barioth11 on Sun May 19, 2013 10:57 pm
([msg=75698]see Re: Real Life Imaginary numbers[/msg])

Hi, imaginary number are extremely usefull.

I don't know what math you know so far, so I'll try to use basic exemple.

I guess (hope) you know about integrating?
Well some integrate can't be solve if we do not use imaginary number. (I won't explain how it work since it's very complicated)

In physic, differential equations use imaginary number a lot.

It is used in a lot of subfield in math/physic.
barioth11
New User
New User

Return to Math & Science