Cant we just get along

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Cant we just get along

Post by sanddbox on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 pm
([msg=49936]see Re: Cant we just get along[/msg])

Nostalgiia wrote:well sanddbox, i agree yet disagree with your statement.

Nostalgiia wrote:I do believe that anti-discrimination should be taught, but i also believe that its been pushed so much that we've grown into a world of double standards.

sanddbox wrote:While I have nothing against teaching non-discrimination in public education, they definitely a) focus way too much on black rights and b) push the idea way too much, to the point of censoring the "N word" in books. Ridiculous.

Uh, where exactly did we disagree?

-- Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:58 pm --

insomaniacal wrote: And don't even get me started on the middle east... It's practically become a crime to call a terrorist an Arab.

Gah.

Reminds me of the racial profiling fallacy - whereas "racial profiling" is just basic statistics, people will have you believe that it's racist to think a Muslim is more likely to be a terrorist. The phrase itself is very poor; something like "statistical profiling" (or better yet, profiling) would be much more accurate.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:07 pm
([msg=49944]see Re: Cant we just get along[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Reminds me of the racial profiling fallacy - whereas "racial profiling" is just basic statistics, people will have you believe that it's racist to think a Muslim is more likely to be a terrorist. The phrase itself is very poor; something like "statistical profiling" (or better yet, profiling) would be much more accurate.

Exactly. Described by some guy on Youtube as the "Pussification of America".

Everyone's too afraid to voice their opinion, for fear of offending someone. But facts don't lie, and making facts essentially "socially illegal" because someone finds a fact embarrassing is pathetic. Educating that Muslim != Bomb-vest is a million times more effective than acting butthurt about the truth, it's annoying, and their efforts could be much more beneficial if spent otherwise.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Monica on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 pm
([msg=50003]see Re: Cant we just get along[/msg])

Orpheus 47k wrote:I would like to make one thing clear im am not religious at all but i respect other people who are wether they're christian hindu, or any other religion and i wish other people would feel at least a little bit the same way. The point is though a lot of people are not and we are constantly fighting and waging wars over which religion is true and let me tell you no mater and i mean no matter what you do it will not prove your is the truly the one we just cant be doing this any more it is time to be more tolerant and spread not war or hate but peace and love.

I can see why you're upset. Unfortunately, many people who are upset with the way things going in their lives can definitely influence others in a negative manner. I personally don't believe in "world peace", as this is abstract, which makes me upset. However, let's face the facts - no person is the same religiously, ethically, morally. There will always be bad in the world, unfortunately, and it makes me upset. What you CAN do is encourage and positively influence without personal and biased opinions to others as much as you can to make smart decisions and avoid conflicts. In the end, you will be happy and not upset.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Religion