why worship gods?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: why worship gods?

Post by nermd on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:12 pm
([msg=36336]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:Number Theory has everything to do with what your talking about. God can use whatever he wants to count, or maybe he doesn't even count at all.

Yeah actually he is playing dice ... :lol:
With this world there is no understanding, we belong their only to the extent, as we rebel against it (Theodor W. Adorno) --> if somebody knows a "official" translation for the well known german quote ... pls let me know!
nermd
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by jshreder on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm
([msg=36838]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

This is the way I see it. Too me, there is no god, if there was, why would there be so much death and destruction? Also, if there is a god, and he doesn't forgive a guy for not believing in him, well then he's probably not all that great anyways... Besides, what about all of the other gods out there(look at my signature)?
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts
jshreder
New User
New User

Post by xfelix on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm
([msg=36840]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

Speaking as a christian, I don't believe that God has a predefined destiny for people, but he does know all the possible paths that can be taken at any given moment of our time. Now when people discover a talent they have such as music, athletics, computers, writing, you name it, God gave you that talent.

It's also important to note that hypothetically speaking since you're saying assuming God does exist why worship him anyway. God created everything we find enjoyable even sex, food, movies, earth, oxygen. plus he gave you the ability to even ask this question why worship him? You would know these things if you cracked open a bible and read it.

It's also worth noting that much of science and math was motivated by God including Newton's and Einstein's works.

The reason why there is suffering is because this is considered in the bible the valley of the shadow. We do not pass through the valley of the shadow to stay, but to move to the other side. Jesus endured alot of suffering and he was the son of God, and he suffered for us.
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 pm
([msg=36843]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

xfelix wrote:Speaking as a christian, I don't believe that God has a predefined destiny for people, but he does know all the possible paths that can be taken at any given moment of our time. Now when people discover a talent they have such as music, athletics, computers, writing, you name it, God gave you that talent.

It's also important to note that hypothetically speaking since you're saying assuming God does exist why worship him anyway. God created everything we find enjoyable even sex, food, movies, earth, oxygen. plus he gave you the ability to even ask this question why worship him? You would know these things if you cracked open a bible and read it.

It's also worth noting that much of science and math was motivated by God including Newton's and Einstein's works.

The reason why there is suffering is because this is considered in the bible the valley of the shadow. We do not pass through the valley of the shadow to stay, but to move to the other side. Jesus endured alot of suffering and he was the son of God, and he suffered for us.

But why did Jesus need to suffer? God created us; it's his fault we're sinners.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by xfelix on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:12 pm
([msg=36844]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

Satan was originally an angel in heaven with God, but because of satan's hubris he wanted to become God, so God let him be God of his own domain. Somewhere along the lines God created day and night, it was good, all that jazz. Then he created adam and eve. But satan tricked eve into eating from the tree of knowledge. Then they realized they were naked. When God figured out they ate from the tree of knowledge, but warned them not to do so, he cursed us. That is why there is suffering, and man sinning is because of satan.
Jesus died for our sins so we could be forgiven, but he himself even asked God if there was any other way. But he said if it is your will then let it be.
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm
([msg=36845]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

xfelix wrote:Satan was originally an angel in heaven with God, but because of satan's hubris he wanted to become God, so God let him be God of his own domain. Somewhere along the lines God created day and night, it was good, all that jazz. Then he created adam and eve. But satan tricked eve into eating from the tree of knowledge. Then they realized they were naked. When God figured out they ate from the tree of knowledge, but warned them not to do so, he cursed us. That is why there is suffering, and man sinning is because of satan.
Jesus died for our sins so we could be forgiven, but he himself even asked God if there was any other way. But he said if it is your will then let it be.

First of all, God is obviously not omnipotent and allpowerful if he can be undermined.

Second of all, please watch this video showing the hypocrisy of god.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by xfelix on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 pm
([msg=36851]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

Actually I thank God he gave us free will, he gave us the ability to think on our own to have this argument. To worship him to scorn him.

That is a very good video, and I have a few things to say because he makes some good arguments. I will have to say that this is where I will have more faith in the Bible then in that youtube video. I do not know how old your are, and how much life you have experienced. I will tell you from my experience that there are some things in life that I've learned that I wish I had never learned about.

The Bible teaches a great deal of many wisdoms that you may apply in every day life, and God can protect and comfort you, even in the midst of suffering. Much of the bible was written while people were in pain. Exile and wandering the desert are two good examples. I have a great deal of faith in God, and I pray, and he has answered many prayers, and makes me happy. Anyway it doesn't really get anymore simple then faith, People can make life as complicated as they want to, but I'll put mine in the hands of God.
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by TheNightFox on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 am
([msg=36859]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

I think it's worth noting this discussion now relates to God, the Christian Entity, not gods in general.
Just to touch on a few points: we created maths in the sense we created a system of grouping (maybe not the best word) the world around us. Right? It's just a way of explaining things. The stuff was already there, we created a way of explaining it. Just like a spreadsheet, the numbers or contents are already there, we're just displaying it in a different way.

I personally am Wiccan, however I practice it more as a lifestyle instead of a religion.

I see plenty of holes in Christianity, but I am not wanting to start a holy war here, so I'll simply say that my quarrel with Christianity is the holes I see.

To touch on the question itself:
I think we worship gods because it gives us the feeling of a higher power. Someone controlling us. It's not easy being in charge, it's easier to know there's someone above you in the scream pyramid. Furthermore, religion has always been a way to explain the unexplained and to give life a purpose. What's the point in continuing the human race? God (or the gods) have a purpose for it. Simple as that. (I don't necessarily think that way, I'm simply giving an explanation).

Another note: Gods...I find it strange we came up with beings such as them. Let's face it, humans aren't creative. We base things on something else. It's very difficult to think of something completely original. I think we must have gained the idea of them from somewhere. Don't want to sound like a quack here, but aliens are a possibility. Centuries ago, we saw great chariots of fire in the sky...alien rockets? Beings with supernatural power? You show a caveman a computer, that'll seem pretty supernatural to him. I saw a documentary, years ago, about a tribe in central nowhere (can't remember where it was) about one of those races who have never seen cities, never seen other people, never seen a white man. One of the people visiting them was white and smoking a pipe. They thought he was a god with fire in his belly, and the pipe was like a chimney.
This last paragraph has probably been debated to death, just thought I'd contribute.
He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
TheNightFox
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 am
([msg=36867]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

There's tons of theories that speculate the ancient ideas of Gods were actually aliens. Erich Von Daniken wrote several books on this, notably Chariots of the Gods and Return to the Stars. I've personally read Return to the Stars, and if nothing else, it was a very interesting read. Though I don't know if I totally buy his theories.

There's also plenty of documentaries that say this. Of course, documentaries these days are always made to be sensational and fun to watch, so of course they leave you with a feeling of " It was DA ALIENZ!".

However, this isn't a totally nutcase scenario. During WWII, when Americans would set up makeshift Airforce bases on very primitive islands, the locals thought they were Gods. Upon returning some years later, they were again treated as Gods, and the local had attempted to build Airplanes out of sticks, twigs, and rope to emulate the "Gods" they had seen. If we have a modern example of something like this happenstance, is it so far fetched to think that an ancient civilization did the same thing, but tried to emulate Aliens?

The main thing hindering me from really believing this, is conclusive evidence that Aliens were here then and had an effect. All the evidence given is pretty much circumstantial, and could also be explained with other theories that are just as valid.

Regardless, it's a very interesting topic.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by hacker85 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:54 am
([msg=36879]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

What I meant when worshiping ourselves is that we don't think of ourselves as better then the other. I meant that we worship our human race and all that we have created and worship our ability to do these things. And the bible and christianity to me contridictes itself to much. But I would like to hear the christian side of the story, so why do christians believe in god? What proof does the bible show?
hacker85
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Religion