Afterlife

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Afterlife

Post by sanddbox on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:19 am
([msg=34606]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

faazshift wrote:
sanddbox wrote:Enjoy life now - don't bother wasting it for some afterlife that probably doesn't exist.

Well, if there is nothing after this, whats the point in anything? What makes it worthwhile to keep going? Is there really a point to suffering through all that this life shoves upon us?

Anyway, I am thoroughly convinced that there is something beyond this life. Be skeptical if you will, but I personally know it to be so.

The point is to enjoy life. Just because you can shove your fingers in your ears and shout 'lalallalala...death doesn't exist' doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by faazshift on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:31 am
([msg=34608]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:The point is to enjoy life. Just because you can shove your fingers in your ears and shout 'lalallalala...death doesn't exist' doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

Im not saying death wont happen, im only saying its not the end. And I definitely agree that we should enjoy life. I only enjoy life as more than just something that I do before ceasing to exist.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thetan on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:18 pm
([msg=34615]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

faazshift wrote:Also, with your beliefs, can you really feel happy thinking that after you die, you are nullified? Doesn't that make life seem a bit pointless? I just think that the belief of ceasing to exist after this life would be miserable.

No. I find great beauty and wonder in it all, it's very exciting to me. Also, to be entirely fair, you're skipping some of the most important details. Death is only the end of this "existence" as we comprehend it. To me death is the liberation of the energy that we once came from as we return as it to the universe/multi-verse. I find great spiritual peace in this because to me it truly does mean that we are all connected, not just with each other, but with everything. I believe various universes have been created and destroyed uncountable amounts of time and the unfathomable amount of chaos behind such an act is overwhelming. I find great happiness in knowing that i may never be able to comprehend how the universe moves. That's fine i don't want answers. What i want is mystery, the puzzle that no man may ever solve in this "existence" and one day when i do have to go i'll be glad to return to the universe. However, atm, i have way to much stuff to do and i can't stop yet until most of my ambitions as possible have been met.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by StonedCivilian on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 pm
([msg=34675]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

/Wow.

I'm going to agree with sanddbox - (for people who can comprehend no afterlife) Yes the thought of not existing sucks, but you'll move on and almost get used to the thought.

I'm also going agree with thetan - (Agree-better your spirit) That we should make life all we can. Who knows what is going to happen after we are dead.

...I wonder if there is a place to see what the common accounts of people who have died and come back to life? I've watched some about people who die and come back to life saying they "saw/communicated with God (Dream? idk) I've also seen one ab a meth head who shot himself in the head, died and came back to life and said he seen or heard people screaming from hell.

^I'm talking about people whose heart stopped or w.e it is to be considered officially dead then came back to life. Meth F***s up your brain Idk If I believe that dudes account. (Tried to commit suicide - his headshot pictures are online)
StonedCivilian
New User
New User

Post by cyberpirate on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 pm
([msg=34809]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

My beliefs on the afterlife and more scientific than ethereal. I see it as when we die our spiritual body enters the realm of the 4th dimension. If anyone knows anything of the 4th dimension from books and/or television, it's a simple state of paradox. There is no time, no space or matter. Basically, whatever happened before or after is not in the 4th dimension. Since there is no time limit, everything occurs at the same time like the big bang theory.

Think of it as a massive space orgasm.
We shall win as a team, or die as individuals.
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Post by thetan on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm
([msg=34816]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

cyberpirate wrote:My beliefs on the afterlife and more scientific than ethereal. I see it as when we die our spiritual body enters the realm of the 4th dimension. If anyone knows anything of the 4th dimension from books and/or television, it's a simple state of paradox. There is no time, no space or matter. Basically, whatever happened before or after is not in the 4th dimension. Since there is no time limit, everything occurs at the same time like the big bang theory.

Think of it as a massive space orgasm.

Variations on string theory propose the existence of anywhere from 10, 11 to even 26 dimensions. You're trying to describe something along the lines of a rift in time and space which really isn't quite the same thing. Something like i relate to the 'void'. Which interestingly enough is a mind state that budhist monks will spend their entire life trying to reach.

ADD: almost completely slipped my mind. Time itself is commonly referred to as the 4th dimension and as a temporal dimension. Perhaps if you watched/read _good_ sci-fi (instead of whatever crap you've been watching on tv). You would already be familiar with such things as temporal distortions etc.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by teknogoth88 on Sun May 09, 2010 7:10 pm
([msg=38498]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

I've noticed that a lot of these posts about the after life are about heaven, hell, and god. (Which is to be expected, considering how popular monotheism is). I, personally, don't belie in any of those, nor am I an athiest. I am a Pagan (and no, i don't worship the devil. THat would be a Satanist. I haven't sold my soul either.) I believe in multiple gods and goddesses and constant reincarnation, until you reach "enlightenment" (or what people of my religion call the Summerlands.) I don't really know why peoople believe what they believe in, they just...do. I just believe in my religion. Yeah, I question it every once in a while, but its the only belief that really makes sense to me. I mean, you could have a huge hypothetical debate about it, but you'll never really know the answer until you die, and by then you can't tell anyone. Debates about the soul can be really confudsing, because it will never really end. THis is why it annoys me when people go around being mean to people about what they believe in, or when people tell me my beliefs are evil.

Wow, rant. I had a lot to say.
teknogoth88
New User
New User

Post by Pythous on Sun May 09, 2010 8:06 pm
([msg=38499]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

Actually, teknogoth88
Satanists don't believe in the devil, or any other religious being for that matter. They are more like atheists with a few extra rules and beliefs slapped on. I am not a satanist personally, but I do know a few people who are. Also I'd just like to say that my personal beliefs (as of now) are basically that evolution is real, and most likely when you die that's it, (for life as we know it). But, I still don't consider myself an atheist, because I think that people (as we know them) can never truly comprehend some of the biggest questions- What is the meaning of life?, How did life begin?, How was the universe created?, etc. I consider myself an agnostic for this reason.
We did not invent the algorithm.
The algorithm consistently finds Jesus.
The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China.
The algorithm is from Jersey.
The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.
Pythous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Vulpine on Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 pm
([msg=38500]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

Pythous wrote:But, I still don't consider myself an atheist, because I think that people (as we know them) can never truly comprehend some of the biggest questions- What is the meaning of life?

If you're referring to an intrinsic meaning to life, I think sex qualifies. Have fun, have kids, propagate the species. As far as extrinsic meanings... I think we have the will to make up our own minds. It isn't some blanket statement written in stone.

Pythous wrote:, How did life begin?

Science isn't so ignorant as to have no credible ideas, but we may very well be a long ways off from a legitimate recreation. Abiogenesis is home to some very interesting ideas on the matter.

Pythous wrote:, How was the universe created?,

I'm fairly certain that we've got this one figured out back to the first one-billionth of a second. The LHC will hopefully shed some more light on this, though, as they search for that wily Higgs Boson.

Apparently, the scientists at the LHC have a mock-theory that the Higgs Boson abhors its own existence so much that it's creating micro-wormholes in order to travel through time and sabotage its own discovery.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by Pythous on Sun May 09, 2010 11:05 pm
([msg=38503]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

Forgive me if I relayed the point I was making poorly. I DO believe in the big bang theory, I DO believe in evolution and the self replicating molecule theory, and I do think that the purpose of your life is what you interpret it to be. I was merely saying that none of this, at our level of understanding, is set in stone. To say that all of these things are the absolute truth is just replicating the absolute assurance that a christian has when they talk about god.
We did not invent the algorithm.
The algorithm consistently finds Jesus.
The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China.
The algorithm is from Jersey.
The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.
Pythous
Experienced User
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to Religion