Afterlife

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Afterlife

Post by faazshift on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:13 pm
([msg=34384]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

StonedCivilian wrote:Sending someone to a lake of fire sounds like turning his back to me...Key word Never...please explain :mrgreen:

Well, as I have come to understand it, the spoken about 'lake of fire and brimstone' is more how the conscience of the wicked will be racked with the guilt of their own sins, and not a literal lake of fire. As the wicked would not repent and accept Christ's atonement for their sins, they must suffer for themselves.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by thetan on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:46 pm
([msg=34388]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

Ok ok since sanddbox came crying to me on IRC the other night about how the movie was too long, i went ahead and quickly found the relevant part of the movie. As part 1 of the original zeitgeist movie deals with religion, part 2 deals with 9-11 and part 3 deals with the monetary system and central banks

So without futher ado, here is part 1 of the Zeitgeist: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 232169561#
^^ if you're seriously religious, this might greatly offend you. However, once again just watch it for what it is and afterwards do your own research and come to your own conclusion <3
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by StonedCivilian on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:03 pm
([msg=34405]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

thetan wrote:Ok ok since sanddbox came crying to me on IRC the other night about how the movie was too long, i went ahead and quickly found the relevant part of the movie. As part 1 of the original zeitgeist movie deals with religion, part 2 deals with 9-11 and part 3 deals with the monetary system and central banks

So without futher ado, here is part 1 of the Zeitgeist: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 232169561#
^^ if you're seriously religious, this might greatly offend you. However, once again just watch it for what it is and afterwards do your own research and come to your own conclusion <3

I watched that a few years ago. Here are a few things that are false about the movie.

* Zeitgeist claims that many other pre-christ gods were crucified and arose after 3 days: Crucifixion was not invented until shortly before Christ’s time. Many of these pre-christ Gods claim to be from 3000BC.
* Zeitgiest claims that YouTube removes the videos and that only PROVES that what is in the video is true: The Holy Bible has been banned in USSR, China, Iran, Iraq, Muslim Africa, Japan and many other smaller places. These countries take up almost ½ of the world’s land surface area. YouTube only takes up a server on the internet. This means either the Bible is true, or that this system of proving things doesn’t work. Pick one, atheist.
* The STAR in the eastern sky cannot be FOLLOWED by 3 men in the east traveling west. It would be to their backs.
* Jesus has as much chance of being born on December 25th as on any other day of the year. We do not know when Jesus was born. This “similarity” is false.
* Horus was not born of a virgin. His mother was impregnated by his father’s severed phallus.
* “Horizon” is not a contraction of “horus is risen” as Zeitgeist would have you believe. The Egyptians did not even know the word “Horus” as it was a hellenization (to colloquialize to greek) of the actual Egyptian word “Heru,” which was the name for the god. Horiz- in greek means “to limit” from the greek word “horos” which means “boundary.” That is the equivalent of saying that the Russian word “Nyet” (meaning “no”) is just a contraction of the English words “not yet.”
* To take a hellenization of an Egyptian word, switch around the letters to form a present-day English word like “Horus = Hours” is totally ludicrous. This is like saying that the word “Hares” is just switching around the letters in “Hears” because rabbits have big ears.

There are more.
StonedCivilian
New User
New User

Post by thetan on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:34 pm
([msg=34409]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

StonedCivilian wrote: * Zeitgeist claims that many other pre-christ gods were crucified and arose after 3 days: Crucifixion was not invented until shortly before Christ’s time. Many of these pre-christ Gods claim to be from 3000BC.

The point is they died and we're reborn 3 days later, not they were crucified (off the top of my head).
StonedCivilian wrote: * Zeitgiest claims that YouTube removes the videos and that only PROVES that what is in the video is true: The Holy Bible has been banned in USSR, China, Iran, Iraq, Muslim Africa, Japan and many other smaller places. These countries take up almost ½ of the world’s land surface area. YouTube only takes up a server on the internet. This means either the Bible is true, or that this system of proving things doesn’t work. Pick one, atheist.

YouTube doesn't remove these videos and Zeitgeist doesn't claim this. The original video has been hosted on primarily on Google-Videos for years now and in case you've been out of the loop Google is YouTube and vice versa. Also, YouTube occupies hundreds if not thousands of servers spread throughout the globe in various data centers, not that it matters in this argument or anything.
StonedCivilian wrote: * The STAR in the eastern sky cannot be FOLLOWED by 3 men in the east traveling west. It would be to their backs.

LOL, this is definitive proof that you didn't watch the movie. The movie makes it painfully clear that their were no 3 men and that they are actually referring to the 3 stars making up Orion's Belt
StonedCivilian wrote: * Jesus has as much chance of being born on December 25th as on any other day of the year. We do not know when Jesus was born. This “similarity” is false.

This is assuming he was a real person, which i am not.
StonedCivilian wrote: * Horus was not born of a virgin. His mother was impregnated by his father’s severed phallus.

OMG one tiny fact differs from the story, you just proved everything wrong, congratulations ....... lol. No shit some bits of the story are going to change. Did you not ever play the game "telephone" as a child? Stories change over time that's the very nature of stories.
StonedCivilian wrote: * “Horizon” is not a contraction of “horus is risen” as Zeitgeist would have you believe. The Egyptians did not even know the word “Horus” as it was a hellenization (to colloquialize to greek) of the actual Egyptian word “Heru,” which was the name for the god. Horiz- in greek means “to limit” from the greek word “horos” which means “boundary.” That is the equivalent of saying that the Russian word “Nyet” (meaning “no”) is just a contraction of the English words “not yet.”
* To take a hellenization of an Egyptian word, switch around the letters to form a present-day English word like “Horus = Hours” is totally ludicrous. This is like saying that the word “Hares” is just switching around the letters in “Hears” because rabbits have big ears.

..... These are two completely irrelevant points and have nothing to do with anything discussed around this thread.........
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:45 pm
([msg=34539]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

EDIT: The forum pwned by formatting. So, I'll sum it up:

Believing in God is good if you like blindly following thing. Being atheists is the right choice for you if you enjoy common sense. Many atheists are smart, yet elitist.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by faazshift on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 pm
([msg=34540]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Believing in God is good if you like blindly following thing. Being atheists is the right choice for you if you enjoy common sense. Many atheists are smart, yet elitist.

Well, thats your view on it. I most certainly don't blindly follow things (as I have previously tried to make clear). I have found my beliefs quite rational. What is it about there being a higher, more perfect being than yourself that you see as so impossible and unbelievable?
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 pm
([msg=34543]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

faazshift wrote:
sanddbox wrote:Believing in God is good if you like blindly following thing. Being atheists is the right choice for you if you enjoy common sense. Many atheists are smart, yet elitist.

Well, thats your view on it. I most certainly don't blindly follow things (as I have previously tried to make clear). I have found my beliefs quite rational. What is it about there being a higher, more perfect being than yourself that you see as so impossible and unbelievable?

The fact despite the fact that he is perfect, we are made in his image. What about the fact that he has unlimited power, but needs us to do his work? (Yes, it's a test, blah blah blah. But if he made us, why did he make us flawed?). Anyway, I have many arguments but it's hard to really fit them all without making an essay.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by faazshift on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:45 pm
([msg=34546]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:The fact despite the fact that he is perfect, we are made in his image. What about the fact that he has unlimited power, but needs us to do his work? (Yes, it's a test, blah blah blah. But if he made us, why did he make us flawed?). Anyway, I have many arguments but it's hard to really fit them all without making an essay.

Well, as my beliefs are, this life is not only to test us, but to prepare us for the next life (where the righteous will have the opportunity to become gods themselves). Our flaws help to better us. If we were already perfect, there would be no test and no room to improve our characters.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:08 pm
([msg=34547]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

faazshift wrote:
sanddbox wrote:The fact despite the fact that he is perfect, we are made in his image. What about the fact that he has unlimited power, but needs us to do his work? (Yes, it's a test, blah blah blah. But if he made us, why did he make us flawed?). Anyway, I have many arguments but it's hard to really fit them all without making an essay.

Well, as my beliefs are, this life is not only to test us, but to prepare us for the next life (where the righteous will have the opportunity to become gods themselves). Our flaws help to better us. If we were already perfect, there would be no test and no room to improve our characters.

Why does improvement of character matter? If we're perfect, such things won't bother us.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by faazshift on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 pm
([msg=34548]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Why does improvement of character matter? If we're perfect, such things won't bother us.

Even though we will have perfected bodies, we still need characters that are worthy of progressing on to godhood.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion