Afterlife

For discussing religion and related topics.

Afterlife

Post by StonedCivilian on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:41 am
([msg=34170]see Afterlife[/msg])

Right now I believe...you'll just stop existing like way before your father's condom broke and you came into life...I would like to believe in a heaven, but is there any actual evidence that any one of the thousand religions is right?

I used to be christian, but the bible facts "Bc the bible says so" doesn't work for me anymore.

I'm NOT implying there is no chance there could be a God

edit- I forgot to ask...For all the people who believe in science...What is life?
...For all the Christians...Is there proof that Jesus actually lived? (said he was the son of God)...If there is proof that would mean the Church of Christ is right.
StonedCivilian
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Afterlife

Post by faazshift on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:50 am
([msg=34174]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

First off, I have seen an exceedingly large accumulation of archeological evidence supporting the events of the Bible and the existence of Jesus Christ.

Finding a single true religion can be a daunting task. Some of my beliefs on the subject: The Bible is true. However, its difficult to understand. I also believe in The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ (yes, im mormon) and a living prophet on the earth today. Contrary to the belief of many christians, I believe that God never abandoned his children. I believe that we should never just believe something because a book says so. In my church we are thoroughly encouraged to seek whether things are true for ourselves. I have prayed thoroughly and have had the truthfulness of many things revealed to me. I have (through the Spirit) witnessed things to be true to the point I can't truthfully deny them. Beyond that, I have seen the things foretold of old (and in modern times) unfolding as was said they would. I don't know about others, but I can say for myself that I know these things to be true. Regarding the afterlife, I believe that we will all surly live beyond this life in a resurrected and perfect state. I could explain more of my beliefs about the afterlife if you want, but for this post ill leave it at that.

Whatever you take from this, good luck in finding what to believe!
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by StonedCivilian on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:00 pm
([msg=34182]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

faazshift wrote:First off, I have seen an exceedingly large accumulation of archeological evidence supporting the events of the Bible and the existence of Jesus Christ.

Finding a single true religion can be a daunting task. Some of my beliefs on the subject: The Bible is true. However, its difficult to understand. I also believe in The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ (yes, im mormon) and a living prophet on the earth today. Contrary to the belief of many christians, I believe that God never abandoned his children. I believe that we should never just believe something because a book says so. In my church we are thoroughly encouraged to seek whether things are true for ourselves. I have prayed thoroughly and have had the truthfulness of many things revealed to me. I have (through the Spirit) witnessed things to be true to the point I can't truthfully deny them. Beyond that, I have seen the things foretold of old (and in modern times) unfolding as was said they would. I don't know about others, but I can say for myself that I know these things to be true. Regarding the afterlife, I believe that we will all surly live beyond this life in a resurrected and perfect state. I could explain more of my beliefs about the afterlife if you want, but for this post ill leave it at that.

Whatever you take from this, good luck in finding what to believe!

Question 1 - Why does God need/want anybody to worship him?

Question 2 - Can you get me a link to a respected site that gives exceedingly large accumulation of archeological evidence supporting the events of the Bible and the existence of Jesus Christ.

Question 3 - I've heard but don't remember why Christians say the Mormons are wrong about subjects (something about a prophet some dude with glasses or something who was wrong) but what makes the Mormons right over Christians? Should be a plain and simple answer.

Question 4 - I was baptized. Why can you truthfully not deny him and I can't? Does God love you more?

Question 5 - Think about someone that would be in hell for 14,000+ years (random number) do you think that's right that a all powerful mighty awesome God would create something then torture it for being skeptical? That seems like bullshit to me.

Question 6 - Why should I love God? He sent his son to die on the cross so I can be saved...He kind of made that rule up himself.

Question 7 - Why does God not make answers clear to me? Why are there so many religions? Trust me I WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWERS or else I wouldn't be spending time researching. To me that seems like God is saying FUCK YOU...since you can't find the answers I'm sending you to hell....really is that how it works?

If you can answers those questions with proof you will do me a great favor b.c I would hate to be in hell for my 14,000th year thinking I'm being punished for not knowing the truth

...Honestly I'm writing this and starting to feel like religion is for emotionally unstable people that need something to help them sleep at night.

edit- This is for anyone who can get me answers...
StonedCivilian
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:09 pm
([msg=34185]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

faazshift wrote:First off, I have seen an exceedingly large accumulation of bullshit supporting the events of the Bible and the existence of Jesus Christ.

Fixed.

By the way - how about some of that evidence? I'm sure you have plenty to go around.

-- Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 pm --

StonedCivilian wrote:edit- I forgot to ask...For all the people who believe in science...What is life?

While my disbelief in god stems from common sense as much as science...life is defined as

Biologists wrote:1) Living things need to take in energy
2) Living things get rid of waste
3) Living things grow and develop
4) Living things respond to their environment
5) Living things reproduce and pass their traits onto their offspring
6) Over time, living things evolve (change slowly) in response to their environment

As new evidence is discovered, the definition of life will probably change.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by StonedCivilian on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 pm
([msg=34187]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

So sanddbox would you bet your life that there is no God
StonedCivilian
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:04 pm
([msg=34189]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

StonedCivilian wrote:So sanddbox would you bet your life that there is no God

Yes*. I'm betting my afterlife, too.

*God, this does not give you sufficient reason to smite me. ...Please?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by faazshift on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm
([msg=34212]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

StonedCivilian wrote:Question 1 - Why does God need/want anybody to worship him?

As was recently stated by one of my church leaders, he doesn't need us to worship him. But we need to worship him. He created all things (us included). He is an eternal source of love, truth, and peace. He is an exalted being. This is why we need to worship him.

StonedCivilian wrote:Question 2 - Can you get me a link to a respected site that gives exceedingly large accumulation of archeological evidence supporting the events of the Bible and the existence of Jesus Christ.

Well, most of what I have read, I don't remember the exact sources at the moment. You should be able to find some good links on this page: http://www.google.com/search?q=archaeological+evidence+for+the+bible

StonedCivilian wrote:Question 3 - I've heard but don't remember why Christians say the Mormons are wrong about subjects (something about a prophet some dude with glasses or something who was wrong) but what makes the Mormons right over Christians? Should be a plain and simple answer.

I personally find some of the at-large christian doctrines to be quite nonsensical. For example, I can't reasonably believe in a god with multiple personality disorder (aka the trinity). I also can't feel comfortable with something like the Nicene Creed, as it is a doctrinal compromise. In the 1800s, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ personally (as two distinct beings) appeared to Joseph Smith (after his prayer to know what church to join) and began the restoration of the same gospel that existed in times past. We believe that after Christ and the apostles were gone, the church fell into corruption and many of the sacred truths were lost. This general apostasy lasted many hundreds of years, until it was restored to the earth.

As for people saying mormons are wrong, it probably has a lot to do with doctrinal differences from whats generally accepted by most christians.

StonedCivilian wrote:Question 4 - I was baptized. Why can you truthfully not deny him and I can't? Does God love you more?

God loves all of us equally, and more than we can even understand in our mortal state. I can't truthfully deny him because I have had the Spirit witness to me personally of his truth. I have witnessed beyond doubt that he lives and loves each of us and desires our eternal well-being.

StonedCivilian wrote:Question 5 - Think about someone that would be in hell for 14,000+ years (random number) do you think that's right that a all powerful mighty awesome God would create something then torture it for being skeptical? That seems like bullshit to me.

Ok... I can't believe that such a loving father would doom his children to such a fate for not joining the right church. My beliefs are that only those who come to know God (more than just a strong testimony or the like) and then openly deny and fight against him (also called sons of perdition) will be cast out of heaven to live in hell for eternity, having come to love Satan more than God. In my church we believe in two meanings of the word 'hell'. The other meaning is one of three kingdoms of glory, which is prepared for the truly wicked during mortality (murderers, sorcerers, whoremongers, etc). Even they are given a degree of glory (though lower than the other two degrees of glory). I know our Heavenly Father loves us enough not to condemn us for eternity.

StonedCivilian wrote:Question 6 - Why should I love God? He sent his son to die on the cross so I can be saved...He kind of made that rule up himself.

He is the literal father of our spirits. He created all things. He continues to love and bless us greatly. Indeed he also sent his son to make an eternal sacrifice that we may become perfected in him and worthy of his greatest blessings. Why shouldn't we love God?!

StonedCivilian wrote:Question 7 - Why does God not make answers clear to me? Why are there so many religions? Trust me I WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWERS or else I wouldn't be spending time researching. To me that seems like God is saying FUCK YOU...since you can't find the answers I'm sending you to hell....really is that how it works?

There are many religions because of the corruption of man. Heavenly Father has given us a means of communicating with him, which is prayer. Through prayer, I have had truths confirmed to me, been comforted countless times, and felt closer to my eternal father. He certainly wouldn't determine your fate based on whether you knew the answers.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by StonedCivilian on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:00 pm
([msg=34251]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

faazshift wrote:I know our Heavenly Father loves us enough not to condemn us for eternity.

3 questions...

That makes sense that if he has ever lasting love for us he wouldn't condemn us forever, however I'm pretty sure the bible (NIV) says idk where that we will be cast into hell for eternity lol.

I thought Mormons only believed a specific number will be allowed into heaven? That obviously isn't right.

How about you tell me examples of how God has answered you through prayer...or comforted you. I'm pretty sure I've had about 99.9999999% of my prayers are unanswered. (common answer- I must of not recognized the answer...Well why would God give me an answer that I wouldn't be able to understand...that's funny to me. If he knows everything he should be able to communicate on my level.
StonedCivilian
New User
New User

Post by faazshift on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm
([msg=34253]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

StonedCivilian wrote:That makes sense that if he has ever lasting love for us he wouldn't condemn us forever, however I'm pretty sure the bible (NIV) says idk where that we will be cast into hell for eternity lol.

Yeah, but there are multiple meanings to hell. One is a temporary state, the other permanent. This might help: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bd/h/32?sr=1

StonedCivilian wrote:I thought Mormons only believed a specific number will be allowed into heaven? That obviously isn't right.

All those who are not sons of perdition will be allowed into heaven. Only the most righteous will be able to reside in God's presence for eternity (the highest of the 3 degrees of glory).

StonedCivilian wrote:How about you tell me examples of how God has answered you through prayer...or comforted you. I'm pretty sure I've had about 99.9999999% of my prayers are unanswered. (common answer- I must of not recognized the answer...Well why would God give me an answer that I wouldn't be able to understand...that's funny to me. If he knows everything he should be able to communicate on my level.

He answers our prayers in many ways, not necessarily in some big way, and not necessarily how or when we want them answered.

Quoting from http://www.mormonwiki.com/Prayer:
... answers to prayers may come instantly in many different ways, such as receiving a feeling of peace, having an enlightening thought impressed upon the mind, or being impressed with a testimony of truth. Answers to prayers may also come through events which occur in our lives. The answer is instant, but the manifestation of the answer may take years to effect. As prayer is practiced, answers are more easily discerned.

Now, regarding the first sentence: I have had an abundance of spiritual impressions and experiences during prayer and otherwise. When I have had questions as to which things to believe, I have had truth confirmed to me. When I have been in need, I have been guided in making correct choices. When I have been spiritually weak, I have found strength. When things have seemed hopeless I have been given hope. I have also been blessed physically many times, whether it be illness or otherwise. I have striven to find the ways in which the Lord blesses me and answers my prayers.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by StonedCivilian on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:28 pm
([msg=34300]see Re: Afterlife[/msg])

Dude just so you know your not wasting your time at all....i meditate on this thought often...Most of my friends seem to be anti God not just not non-believing. I would put myself in the open minded category(Science doesn't have an answer which makes me believe religion might be right since so many people actually believe it)...which according to the bible if your luke warm you make God angry.

The link you provide - (Hell - consists of two parts, paradise and Gehenna, one the abode of the righteous and the other of the disobedient. “Gehenna,” or “Gehenna of fire,”) So there is heaven which the good people go to and there is a paradise of hell? Idkkkk....I sure hope i get in the paradise part of hell.

What are your thoughts about marijuana? I'm not going to stop...Am I going to hell for easing my mind?

lol most nights I come home and check this thread but im too stoned to keep my eyes open and plan on answering the next day :mrgreen:
StonedCivilian
New User
New User

Next

Return to Religion