Life got you down? - Christianity

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by sanddbox on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:06 am
([msg=31506]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:Why would anyone believe a fairy tale which pretends to have the answer for everything, when there is science which says "Sure, we don't know everything - but we will stop at nothing to find out all that there is to know."?

Religion is one of the cancers of humanity. I wonder how much more advanced our knowledge and technology would be without it.

The title "Life got you down?" says it all - religion preys on those who are sad or depressed and shows them "a light". It's not a light, it's a lie. A fairytale that was concocted years ago to explain what people did not know. Well now we know a lot more, so stop believing in that crap and give science a chance.

Would you be a Christian if you were born somewhere else? It's quite possible that you'd be a Muslim, or Sikh, etc. That shows to me that it's more about indoctrination and culture than anything else.

-- Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm --

xfelix wrote:The only flaw of science and logic is that they were created by man and thus aren't perfect.

Religion was created by man.

I might believe religion is stupid but I also think its necessary.

Some people need religion.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Dredric1 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:48 pm
([msg=32207]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

if you are a atheist
i suggest you at least read Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job
first you go and read Proverbs take each couple verses at a time
compare them to your life
ask yourself if you fit into the category of what not to do
most of proverbs is repeat but it allows you to start understanding

then i suggest Ecclesiastes next it is hard to get the hidden meanings down
but with effort you'll understand eventually why Ecclesiastes is in my opinion
the greatest practical knowledge base ever devised by man(GOD inspired of course)

then comes Job
it is a book that is almost even more subtle than Ecclesiastes it mentions
things like crude oil and monsters and spirits and the like all through out the book
only subtly though
and seems sorta like a fairy tail
but still has its wisdom

oh in reference to the above
Monsters - Job 40:15 and 41
Spirits - Job 4:12-21

think me ridiculous for believing in GOD but unless you give him a chance your view will never change
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
Dredric1
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 pm
([msg=32213]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Dredric1 wrote:your view will never change

And that is why religion is so frightening.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:33 pm
([msg=32222]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:

I think he's referring to your view staying the same if you DON'T look into religion. Don't get me wrong, I think religion is a detriment to society in many ways. I just think you may have misunderstood him.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sanddbox on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:57 pm
([msg=32227]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
sanddbox wrote:

I think he's referring to your view staying the same if you DON'T look into religion. Don't get me wrong, I think religion is a detriment to society in many ways. I just think you may have misunderstood him.

Re-reading that I see you are correct.

Anyways, I have read the bible. (Well, most of it). I try to take what lessons I can from the bible (be good to your neighbor, etc) without all the god crap mixed in.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Dredric1 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:26 pm
([msg=32257]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
Anyways, I have read the bible. (Well, most of it). I try to take what lessons I can from the bible (be good to your neighbor, etc) without all the god crap mixed in.

GOD is least mentioned in Proverbs

GOD is mentioned only a few times in Ecclesiastes

GOD is mentioned a lot in Job but isnt the central focus until the end

i set it up that way for people like you
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
Dredric1
Poster
Poster

Post by msbachman on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:09 am
([msg=32430]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Can't even come to a site like this without seeing these troll-style posts by the ONE religious person on the board. Goes like this mostly, some dude who hardly posts comes in, posts a short thread on the benefits of God, Allah, whatev., then you never hear back from the typically more thoughtful responses, because he's gone on to another forum to do the exact same thing.

From the pages I've read of this thread, many people are falling into the mistake that xfelix cares what you have to say in response. I can pretty much guarantee you that he doesn't. All he cares is that he's done his proselytism for the day, and when he dies he thinks he'll fly up to Jesus in the sky and he'll congratulate him on all his hard work.

-- Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:20 am --

faazshift wrote:I would think the reason christians would ask for scientific evidence that God does not exists is because christian opponents are constantly hammering them with 'can you prove that God exists?' I have gained my 'proof' and cannot deny it. Because its not tangible, it can't be mass publicized and convert everyone. I believe that God intends for people to be converted by faith, not by evidence (as this wouldn't really convert them). Nonetheless, you are demanding cold, hard evidence, so I don't think you will ever be satisfied. As such, I think arguing about it does little good.

Seriously, I can't even believe there's much of a debate anymore about this stuff. It's settled. There's no God. If you want to convince me otherwise, I'd be willing to go out of my way to ascertain this 'evidence' you speak of. I'll drop acid, get a couple concussions, whatever it takes. The fact is that Christians have no evidence--and when I say that, I truly mean zero--outside of a book written 2000 years ago. They've got feelings, hunches, opinions, theories, but no evidence, nothing that can be sensed. No evidence at all. Noone would take a book seriously that was written 2000 years ago about hacking, would they? I mean if such a book existed. Now, why is that? Because it's impossible for someone that far back to have known anything about the state of technology now. But when the book's talking about what happens after you die, half the world is absolutely sure that it's right on the money.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 am
([msg=32435]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

msbachman wrote:Can't even come to a site like this without seeing these troll-style posts by the ONE religious person on the board. Goes like this mostly, some dude who hardly posts comes in, posts a short thread on the benefits of God, Allah, whatev., then you never hear back from the typically more thoughtful responses, because he's gone on to another forum to do the exact same thing.

From the pages I've read of this thread, many people are falling into the mistake that xfelix cares what you have to say in response. I can pretty much guarantee you that he doesn't. All he cares is that he's done his proselytism for the day, and when he dies he thinks he'll fly up to Jesus in the sky and he'll congratulate him on all his hard work.

While that is completely true, we still learn by debating. Why not continue the argument?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by TravisAlan on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:05 am
([msg=32437]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Religion is an opiate designed to fulfill a need in many peoples lives to have someone in control over them who is always in the right. This allows these people to never be wrong and also allows them to rationalize their lives. Instead of feeling guilt of obvious mistakes, religious people will say, "I have wronged society/people/ect., but it was in the name of God and therefor just." Since these people are following the laws of this supreme being they are better people than there neighbors and it is now there duty to inform their neighbors of their flawed way of life until they accept this religion as their own. At this point the first person becomes a great man spreading his religion which makes him an enlightened teacher of god. And when religion teaches that some men are enlightened by bringing in prophets it is mere propaganda for the social inequality that marks our race. Instead of working together to solve our problems, each man is now in this race of morality in which the ultimate goal is you OWN immortality and favor with God. This brings non-religious men to commit crimes in order to bring themselves ahead of these religious men in the material world. If this was entirely avoided and everyone worked for equality while sacrificing their egos the world would be brought forth into an age of greatness. Unfortunately no one in a position of power will support this since their own power will become limited and they would actually have to return to a position level with the rest of the world.
Although religion sounds great in theory it is a vessel created by man which only serves to bloat our egos and create an unbalanced system of power. I have read Taoist, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, and many other religious scripture yet none of it seems to really balance man or actually create morality. And Christianity really seems to be the most unbalanced religion I have read. In the three temptations Jesus resisted he spawned so much more human strife than was present previously in Judaism. He was presented with the opportunity to have bread, rule the world, and subdue man. In rejecting man he created a need in all of his followers to provide for man what He rejected. For deep inside man wanted him to rule them to make them submissive and to feed them with earthly bread so that they may be comfortable with a clean conscious. I wish religions were real in order to satisfy these needs but they are not or else they would provide.
People eventually become content with their inequalities because they believe that they stem from their morality and that they will be rewarded by whoever is heading said religion. Eventually their becomes less less of these religious men and then there becomes more and more people who realize just how unjust life has become. Unfortunately a revolution for these people will never be realized for the greater part of men either sit in power or are finding some other way to relieve this pain so that they may live a few more years in silent agony.
TravisAlan
New User
New User

Post by faazshift on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:13 am
([msg=32438]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

msbachman wrote:Seriously, I can't even believe there's much of a debate anymore about this stuff. It's settled. There's no God.

Hehe... its settled for you that there is no God, its settled for me that there is a God!

As I have explained elsewhere on the forums, I have gained a personal knowledge that there is a God. I cannot deny that. You may not accept it, but I know that it to be true.

-- Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 am --

TravisAlan wrote:religious people will say, "I have wronged society/people/ect., but it was in the name of God and therefor just."

I don't know many religions that use that excuse to commit crime, but my church believe in completely obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. I would never shame my church by claiming such a thing.

TravisAlan wrote:Since these people are following the laws of this supreme being they are better people than there neighbors and it is now there duty to inform their neighbors of their flawed way of life until they accept this religion as their own. At this point the first person becomes a great man spreading his religion which makes him an enlightened teacher of god. And when religion teaches that some men are enlightened by bringing in prophets it is mere propaganda for the social inequality that marks our race. Instead of working together to solve our problems, each man is now in this race of morality in which the ultimate goal is you OWN immortality and favor with God. This brings non-religious men to commit crimes in order to bring themselves ahead of these religious men in the material world. If this was entirely avoided and everyone worked for equality while sacrificing their egos the world would be brought forth into an age of greatness. Unfortunately no one in a position of power will support this since their own power will become limited and they would actually have to return to a position level with the rest of the world.
Although religion sounds great in theory it is a vessel created by man which only serves to bloat our egos and create an unbalanced system of power. I have read Taoist, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, and many other religious scripture yet none of it seems to really balance man or actually create morality. And Christianity really seems to be the most unbalanced religion I have read. In the three temptations Jesus resisted he spawned so much more human strife than was present previously in Judaism. He was presented with the opportunity to have bread, rule the world, and subdue man. In rejecting man he created a need in all of his followers to provide for man what He rejected. For deep inside man wanted him to rule them to make them submissive and to feed them with earthly bread so that they may be comfortable with a clean conscious. I wish religions were real in order to satisfy these needs but they are not or else they would provide.
People eventually become content with their inequalities because they believe that they stem from their morality and that they will be rewarded by whoever is heading said religion. Eventually their becomes less less of these religious men and then there becomes more and more people who realize just how unjust life has become. Unfortunately a revolution for these people will never be realized for the greater part of men either sit in power or are finding some other way to relieve this pain so that they may live a few more years in silent agony.

In my church we believe God is no respecter of persons. He loves us all equally (no 'favor with God') and teaches us to follow after his example.

Are you saying that Christ should have succumbed to the temptation and become imperfect?! I am personally grateful he resisted temptation and provided a means for us to repent. How did Christ refusing corruption cause his followers to corrupt men? I have only seen good come of what Christ did.

Even if religion was false, it helps people to better themselves. It brings a lot of peace and order to the world that would otherwise be chaos, wars, etc.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion