Life got you down? - Christianity

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by sanddbox on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:03 pm
([msg=36198]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

I can prove that god doesn't exist.

Let's let P represent proof of god. P = God exists, so !P = god doesn't exist.

Now look at Q.

Q = Unicorns are pretty. Therefore, !Q = Unicorns like cake.

Therefore, god does not exist.

It's basic logic, guys.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by xfelix on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:50 pm
([msg=36214]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

What I was trying to demonstrate was that you can not prove a universal negative. I know that the negation of a universal affirmative was Existential, but at 2 in the morning I had slipped up so sew me. I am mere mortal. And for those flamming have fun rotting in hell.
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 pm
([msg=36216]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

xfelix wrote:What I was trying to demonstrate was that you can not prove a universal negative. I know that the negation of a universal affirmative was Existential, but at 2 in the morning I had slipped up so sew me. I am mere mortal. And for those flamming have fun rotting in hell.

It's really hard not to judge you as the typical christian stereotype when you say:

"You're rotting in hell for disagreeing with me!".

By the way, I think you spelled 'I am a mere troll' wrong.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by xfelix on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:16 pm
([msg=36218]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

sanddbox you're the one on a hacking forum who doesn't know the first thing about hacking. i don't really care anymore, i have said what i've had to say, and I know that some people will find it helpful despite idiots with heads so far up their ass they become a singularity. God has blessed me with an incredible life, and I got better things to do then argue with you especially on a saterday night. peace
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Goatboy on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:31 pm
([msg=36219]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

xfelix wrote:sanddbox you're the one on a hacking forum who doesn't know the first thing about hacking. i don't really care anymore, i have said what i've had to say, and I know that some people will find it helpful despite idiots with heads so far up their ass they become a singularity. God has blessed me with an incredible life, and I got better things to do then argue with you especially on a saterday night. peace

First off, I can personally assure you that sanddbox knows more than most people here. I am surprised he's not a developer. So if you are going to make baseless assumptions, make sure you aren't going to get caught.

Second, in regards to your previous post, I honestly think you are just opening up a Logic book to a random page and picking the first terms you see. God is not a universal. He would be a singular. Get it right. And that was not a slip up. You fell off the damn building.

Last note, sanddbox is right, you do sound like the typical forum Christian. You think we're going to hell for flaming with you? That sounds an awful lot like "I'm wrong but going to scare you with threats of damnation" to me. Pro tip: Threats of hell don't work on people who don't believe in a hell in the first place.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sanddbox on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:31 pm
([msg=36220]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

xfelix wrote:sanddbox you're the one on a hacking forum who doesn't know the first thing about hacking. i don't really care anymore, i have said what i've had to say, and I know that some people will find it helpful despite idiots with heads so far up their ass they become a singularity. God has blessed me with an incredible life, and I got better things to do then argue with you especially on a saterday night. peace

I hope one day to be an incredible hacker like you are.

By the way: That argument was not only completely baseless but proved nothing about God.

EDIT: Does anyone else think it's ironic that xfelix says we're flaming him and then proceeds to flame me? I'm just sayin'.

-- Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:57 pm --

As requested, xfelix has been sewed.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by orwell84 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:29 pm
([msg=36222]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Just to throw this in, it's basically useless trying to prove the existence (or, for that matter, nonexistence) of god. Religion is not scientific; it cannot be definitively declared to be true or false. That's where faith comes in--you either believe it or not. You may have your personal reasons, but those don't mean anything to anyone else.
I'll try not to insult religious people too much, but it's the same principle as trying to prove or disprove dowsing. Any empirical tests will be shunned by the dowser as something relating to how the examiner doesn't believe in it, or whatever. Same thing with fortune telling and horoscopes (they actually have a "law" that states that the accuracy of your horoscope is directly proportional to the amount of money you are willing to part with to receive it--that made me laugh). Anyway, the point is that you cannot prove god. That doesn't mean he (she?) doesn't exist; it simply means that the concept of religion is not scientific. By trying to prove it, you are demonstrating contempt for the idea of faith.

orwell84 out.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by ChippZanuff on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:07 am
([msg=36238]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
Apes with undesirable traits DID die out. That doesn't mean being an ape is undesirable.

I still feel I don't understand. If being an ape isn't undesirable, then why did they evolve into humans?
And just for the record, I don't think that anyone is going to come to this forum and be converted from any religion to atheism or vice versa. I'm just here for the entertainment. And I'll never complain about expanding my knowledge. If I gain a new understanding of anything discussed here then it'll be a nice bonus.
Last edited by ChippZanuff on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChippZanuff
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:13 am
([msg=36239]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

ChippZanuff wrote:
sanddbox wrote:
Apes with undesirable traits DID die out. That doesn't mean being an ape is undesirable.

I still feel I don't understand. If being an ape isn't undesirable, then why did they evolve into humans.

Because evolution isn't an "I want to evolve!" process.

Simply putting it, variations in DNA cause some animals to be better suited for survival than others. Those that are better suited for survival, well, will survive - and by doing so, will continue to spread those evolved genes.

In other words, as long as an animal can survive, it will pass on its genes. In this case, apes that were more human (more upright, smarter, less hairy, etc) survived better - but 'normal' apes survived too.

EDIT: By the way, to give some perspective, evolution isn't something that happens overnight. It's something that takes place over millions of years.
Last edited by sanddbox on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by ChippZanuff on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 am
([msg=36240]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Well whether or not being an ape is undesirable or not is questionable, but I see what your saying.
ChippZanuff
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Religion